+ or - Flasher

civic09

May 25, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Can anyone help me find out what kind of headlight flasher I would need for a 2009 Honda Civic? aswell as a tail light flasher for the brake lights and reverse lights. Im not really familiar with how they work ... regarding the headlight flasher do I need one for each headlight or 1 flasher is for both? ( I know its a stupid question :oops: ) and for the taillights and reverse lights does it require 2 flashers. Thanks in advance, and if someone could send me a link to the flashers that i should purchase. :)

zack A

May 24, 2010
NC
civic09 said:
Can anyone help me find out what kind of headlight flasher I would need for a 2009 Honda Civic? aswell as a tail light flasher for the brake lights and reverse lights. Im not really familiar with how they work ... regarding the headlight flasher do I need one for each headlight or 1 flasher is for both? ( I know its a stupid question :oops: ) and for the taillights and reverse lights does it require 2 flashers. Thanks in advance, and if someone could send me a link to the flashers that i should purchase. :)

No stupid questions. You need one headlight flasher and one taillight flasher. As far as negitive or positive can't answer that one. However if your unsure how to hook them up I would let someone professional do it.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
civic09 said:

You should purchase a Whelen UF2150A flasher, as it allows for positive OR negative switched high beams. It's easy to test your headlight circuit to see what you have. With someone helping you, probe all of the wires at the headlight with a meter or test light. If any of the wires test for constant voltage with the headlights off, then you likely have NEG switched headlights. If none of the wires show voltage with the headlights off, you will have POS switched headlights.

For NEG switched, place your positive probe or clamp on the battery POSITIVE, and have someone turn on your headlights. Probe which wire tests for ground at the headlight. This will be your LOW beams. Make a note and stay away from cutting that wire. Then have the person switch on the high beams and test which wire shows ground. This will be your HIGH beams, and will be the wire you want to cut and tie into with your flasher. Wire the flasher according to the NEG switched directions.

For POS switched, place your NEGATIVE probe or clamp on the battery NEGATIVE, and have someone turn on your headlights. Probe which wire tests for voltage at the headlight. This will be your LOW beams. Make a note and stay away from cutting that wire. Then have the person switch on the high beams and test which other wire shows voltage. This will be your HIGH beams, and will be the wire you want to cut and tie into with your flasher. Wire the flasher according to the POS switched directions.

I have that flasher New, Unused in the package for $30.00 PayPal only, shipped free.

hassiah

Feb 14, 2011
PA
... the 8th generation civics (2006 thru 2011) have a strange headlight system. I had to look up the wiring diagrams... of course I did this for a 2011 civic, but I'm fairly certain the 2009 would be identical. From what I can tell, relays are used to switch the headlights. The headlights themselves are actually POSITIVE switched, which is not common among newer cards. This makes installing the flasher fairly straightforward.

HOWEVER, the highbeams are tricky. There is a DRL unit which supplies 5 V to the highbeam bulbs for dim output (DRL... day time running lights). When you flip on the high beams, these lamps then get a full 12 V and are very bright (high beams). The low beams are the best lights to use with a wig wag... they are simple positive switched straight from the battery, through a relay, and to ground. The switch that triggers the relay (from the control stalk by the steering wheel) is negative switched, hence the confusion above.

I would confirm everything using a meter, like someone said above.

Hope this helps.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
So a standard positive switch HLF will work...? And it would be installed the same way as anyother HLF...? (As in cut the wire going to 2 headlight and splice the yellow to one side and the blue to the other...?)

The DRL issue is not and issue with my Civic, since I pulled the fuse that controls the DRL...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.