OUtfitting a 1996 Suburban 2500HD

tcfd126

Jul 7, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I am in the planning process of outfitting my 96 Suburban 2500 and need some ideas. The only thing I am sure of is that it will have whelen mirror beams (unsure if they will be TIR6 or Lin6) and led HAW's. I am not looking to put a lightbar on top of it. It does have a brush guard on it. I am looking for any pics of suburbans or silverados from this era. I am going to stay 100% led also. If you have any suguestions of something you have seen that works great with these models, anything you have installed, etc..... Also trying to decide between a dash light or a interior lightbar. Thanks for the sugestions - Kurt

tcfd126 said:
I am in the planning process of outfitting my 96 Suburban 2500 and need some ideas. The only thing I am sure of is that it will have whelen mirror beams (unsure if they will be TIR6 or Lin6) and led HAW's. I am not looking to put a lightbar on top of it. It does have a brush guard on it. I am looking for any pics of suburbans or silverados from this era. I am going to stay 100% led also. If you have any suguestions of something you have seen that works great with these models, anything you have installed, etc..... Also trying to decide between a dash light or a interior lightbar. Thanks for the sugestions - Kurt

Kurt,

I had a 1999 Suburban... That was before they came out with the new body style. Don't have any pictures off hand, but I set it up like the Suburban in the movie US Marshals... I used an ISP 188 and ran 4 strobes up front... 2 in high beams, two in lower corners in an "X" pattern on action flash, and 4 strobes in taillights. I unfortunately didn't get farther than that because I got my old Acura...

So since you're going all LED... Here's what I suggest...

- Dual Avengers or equivalent on either side of the RVM

- Dual Avenger or equivalent on the lower dash - Center

- Mirror Beams (Linear)

- D8 or equivalent on the Push Bumper

- LinZ6 or M4's on the side of the push bumper

- HLF

- LAW's as you see fit

- Fed Sig AS124 speakers... as many as you need

- Single Avenger or equivalent on the rear doors for central side warning

- D4 or equivalent in rear side windows

- D8 or equivalent in rear window

- LAW's in tailights (I recommend 2 per side, they really popped with 2 strobes per side)

- LinZ6's on the rear license plate

I used a ProCopper Console in the truck with success. I doubt there are many consoles still floating around for that age truck, but keep an eye out for them. Put your choice of siren and lighting controls in.

Just my 0.02.

Seth

here are some pics of my fire depts utility pickup we built the truck for about 3500.00, I got alot of equipment donated to build this, while I know its not new and fancy we just needed a simple decent truck, we did all of the body work and paint right in the station, a few of us guys did it all, I painted the whole truck including the ghost flames on the front.

ai275.photobucket.com_albums_jj293_shawnlayton_UT62FTLIT.jpg

ai275.photobucket.com_albums_jj293_shawnlayton_UT62CONSOLE.jpg

ai275.photobucket.com_albums_jj293_shawnlayton_UT62FLAMES3.jpg

ai275.photobucket.com_albums_jj293_shawnlayton_UT62PSIDE.jpg

well that was the hard part, the truck had a bench seat and we didn't want to put buckets in it so I used a crown vic contour console. I was going to cut some new side panels out of textured abs, but I haven't gotten around to it, I did have to trim the console to get it to fit like it does , I mounted the arrowstick controller in the top hole where the crown vic heater controls are relocated when used in a vic. once again I was working with what I could beg borrow and steal. the only parts we paid for on the truck are, the vinyl for the letting and stripes, the new lightbar domes, the radio, and the diamond plate tool boxes in the bed.

I appreciate the sugguestions seth, maybe a little more than i'm wanting to do but good food for thought. And shawn, i appreciate the console idea.

I'd go with a HLF up front instead of HALs. All the HALs I've seen in person fail in comparison to the proven performance of a HLF. Also, a lot cheaper. My previous ride was almost all LED, but red LEDs with a HLF is extremely effective and from a distance, your HALs won't be seen.

In regards to the mirrorbeams, use LIN6s. I had an '04 Silverado and had LIN6s in them. I've seen TIR6s in mirrorbeams before and since they're an angled light, they become worthless at other angles. Get your money's worth by sticking with the linear warning to have warning to the front AND the sides.

In regards to the brush guard, mount some pimp pods facing to the sides for additional intersection/side warning.

As far as choosing between an interior bar or dashlight, if you got the money, go for the bar. Only thing I'd say is flash all the same colors at once for a bigger footprint from a distance.

Kurt,

Here is what I think would work well on your suburban in addition to your mirror beams. Go with the linear mirror beams also.

Front:

UltraLite 8 (maybe a 12 if it will fit) Interior windshield light

Predator IIs in grill (maybe an UltraLite 4, or an UltraLite 8 or TDWL24 on the PB if you want more light)

HLF

-You could always use some Universal Undercovers in the turn signals for more light

Side:

LED3s or Ghosts on side of PB

XP63 in rear side window

-You could forgo the mirror beams and get Intersectors which would give you more front warning and great side coverage

Rear:

UltraLite 8 TA

x4 Universal Undercovers (x2 brake lights, x2 reverse lights (in W or A, your choice)

-If you want more rear warning, add some LED3s to the rear LP.

If you need a siren and controls, then I'd go with the Sound Off 380 or 380R depending on what your situation is. They both are siren and light controllers, though the 380R is 200W and remote mount, where the 380 is 100W and an all in one unit. For a speaker I'd go with a Sound Off 100D or 100H. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want a quote on anything.

1997 Suburban 1500-

Lights-

Mx7000 B-B-A/C-B-B

4x Blue LED3's on the grill

Strobes in outside front turn signal( owners of these will know what i mean)

B/B D6 dash light-center under RVM

1 Blue LED3 on the roof rack behind the C-post on each side.

2x Blue LED3 on the plastic trim by the rear headliner- facing rear.

2x Red Gen1 led on the doors, so that when they are open, there is more side warning(Ambulance Doors)

Strobes in the reverse lights.

Noise-

Code3 3050- used for wail only

Code3 Mastercom siren/light Controller- wail-yelp-hilo-hyperyelp-hyperhilo, comtrolling all the lights and the lighbar and.. Train horn- boted to the frame.

is a video.. excuse the mini amber bar.. and the grey cable.. its plowing/snow season here so it gest used frequently.

Here is a Video

**** excuse the crappy camera work.. it was just a quickie..

Its going to be used as a POV. I work full time for a combo dept but manpower is really short, so we are urged to respond county wide off duty to any working fires, mva w/ entrapments, etc..... Budget is not an issue. I have owned explorers all my life and probably had over 10-15 setups in them over the years but just got the suburban and havent really seen too many setups in them. Here is what i am thinking so far....

Dash - Unsure Yet

Grill - 4x 6 led pimp pods (2 red and 2 white)

Side of Brush Guard - 2x 3 or 4 led pimp pods red or red/white split

HLF

Side windows - Unsure Yet

Rear - Unsure yet also

It does have a safari rack on it and I am debating putting 4 pimp pod 3 led's on the front and 4 on the back. Mounted red on top and clear on bottom (and then red on top and amber on bottom for the rear) flashing in an x type pattern. Also debating putting 3x 3led pimp pods on each running board (2500 diesel and it has a 2.5 inch lift and 305's under it so its sitting a little higher).....

Let me know what you think or any suggestions.... And thank you for all the current ideas!!!!!!

Thanks, Kurt

Here's the set-up I had in my '95 Tahoe:

Whelen 9622 12-Strobe Edge

Whelen Dual Talon (right under RVM)

Whelen MirrorBeams w/ Whelen LIN6s

4 Whelen TIR3s (mounted on off-road light bar)

Here are a couple pics and a vid... (Click pics for larger image)

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_New_20Look_20of_20the_20Tahoe_th_Installed04.jpg ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_New_20Look_20of_20the_20Tahoe_th_Installed03.jpg ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_New_20Look_20of_20the_20Tahoe_th_Installed02.jpg ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h191_tritontim47_New_20Look_20of_20the_20Tahoe_th_Installed01.jpg

I didn't have anything to the rear because I sold this truck before I got that far. But I planned on some Whelen DashMisers in the rear glass and some TIR3s by the license plate...

Had a 1997 Suburban...and I wouldn't overdo it too much.

Had grille strobes (Whelen 4x3's - pain to fit due to aux cooler but worked - the GRLSTR are a perfect fit between the slats), HLF, HAW in the turns and tails - and an Edge Ultra on the roof. Worked perfectly 360 around the truck. Its clean and effective.

If it has bucket seats - I used a no-holes Gamber Johnson console and center mounted laptop. Woked very well.

I thought about mirror strobes but...those are such a pain in the ass.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381