Painting Jetsonic domes and refinishing speaker cover

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
The blacked-out top of my Jetsonic domes are faded so bad you can see through the lens again. I'll need to buff out the old black paint and put on new one. What kind of paint would you use and what technique?

I'm thinking black spray paint, no brush.

It's for a J-CAL jet.

The black speaker cover is also pretty faded. What type of paint would you use on it? Spray it over or buff it to the aluminum, then prime and coat? The old paint is faded but it's not flaking out.

Thanks

-Toon

Granada1

May 24, 2010
USA, Arizona
I have used Krylon spray for this a number of times. Gloss for the domes and semi gloss on the center section. Works good and holds up in the Aeizoa sun.

Mike

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Painting the sunscreen on a Jetsonic dome with an ordinary can of spray paint is difficult. You have to tape the corners to prevent overspray and make many multiple strokes and it never turns out as evenly as you like.

I've done several domes over the years and have never been satisfied with the final coverage, even after multiple attempts at respraying. You might could use a commercial sprayer, such as a Wagner Power gun, to get a better coverage and final result. However, I would recommend using stick on vinyl sheeting, similar the what Whelen used on their 8000 bars, except put it on the inside of the domes to keep the elements from cracking and peeling it from the outside.

As for the speaker cover, it's a completely different situation, as it is much easier to touch up with spray paint since it's is completely black, unless it has turned mostly gray, and then it would be the same problem as the domes.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
SFR1986 said:
Krylon plasticoat works great. Sand it with 1000. Or 2000 grit and tape and paint..works great

+1

That's what I did on the domes and it worked great. I haven't done a speaker cover but I have done the black sections on Vectors with an aerosol can of Duplicolor spray on bedliner. It's durable, not glossy and has an "orange peel" look.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Excuse my Newb question here, since the only vintage stuff i deal with is Streethawks, but why is the top painted black? To stop the sun from washing out the rotators?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Fast LT1 said:
Excuse my Newb question here, since the only vintage stuff i deal with is Streethawks, but why is the top painted black? To stop the sun from washing out the rotators?

Exactly.

@Sebi:

Thanks for that tip! My bar is for display only so I think I'll do that :)

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
toon80 said:
Exactly.

@Sebi:

Thanks for that tip! My bar is for display only so I think I'll do that :)

If you were to paint them , i would use a autozone high temp semi gloss paint(the sell it for sure) ..since high temperatures of sun will be beating directly on the tops. Then for the speaker cover i iwould use a rustoleum since its the best paint for protecting

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.