Panel-Mount Switches

ATF1224

May 24, 2010
NC
Looking for some input on switches to mount on a Jotto Desk console to control power to radios an accessories. I need a total of 3 switches, one to control power to 5 mobile radios (via a relay of course), one to control laptop power, and one to control accessories (XTS charger, Mag-Lite charger). The space I have to mount is 1 1/4" high by about 8" long, with a 1/16" panel thickness. Unfortunately I don't have room for a dedicated switch panel anymore, so I had to remove my Carling switches.

I was going to run by radio shack to pick up some simple lighted on/off switches, but I figured I would get some opinions here before doing that.

Thanks!

V

VTfireftr

If you have the space in your console, go to either Jotto's or Havis' website and look at the panels that have cut outs for switches. These panel allow the use of Carling switches. Great switches that are very durable. They are a little pricey, but well worth the cost. You can find Carling switches at just about every boating supply store or all over the web.

Hope this helps.

Marc

ATF1224

May 24, 2010
NC
I've already been down the Carling Switch road... great switches but as I stated before I no longer have room for a dedicated faceplate for switches. Theoretically they could be mounted sideways, but that would require square-cut holes be cut in the console that I don't have the ability to do.

Looking for something that mounts in a circular hole.

V

VTfireftr

Both Jotto and Havis make a blank that will fit 2 switches "sideways". Just buy a two position switch that take the place of a single on/off switch.

V

VTfireftr

A two position switch can be used in place of a single switch to operate two seperate devices.

not sure if it's a spst or dpdt or dpst switch.

Please google those abbreviations. Would take me way too long to type them out and explain.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
VTfireftr said:
A two position switch can be used in place of a single switch to operate two seperate devices.

not sure if it's a spst or dpdt or dpst switch.

Please google those abbreviations. Would take me way too long to type them out and explain.

I fully understand what they are, but you either end up with one of two install options:

1) device 1 or device 2

2) device 1 or device 1 and 2

There is no option for device 2 or device 2 and device 1.

Hence the OP ends up with the inability to select what of the three items he want on.

If the OP is running all three at the same time, I would just run one switch and control three different relays for each set of items.

acousticman

Nov 5, 2011
US Salem,VA
I would not use a Radio Shack switch for this. If you are talking about something that someone's life will rely on, anyway. Most people think a 15 amp switch is good for 15 amps, d.c. Only if it states so. The wiping arrangement is different as well as contact material. On a.c., the switch, at times, will be switching no voltage as the voltage cycles. D.C., on the other hand, is constant.

Go to the Waytek website for d.c. automotive rated switches. Or to West Marine. Either way is easier than going to Mouser, Digi-Key, allied or Newark and wading through the specs.

I have seen a.c. rated switches used that the contacts welded themselves together. Too bad you cannot use the Carlings, they would be my first choice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.