Paramedic class...

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Wondering if I might be able to pick some brains here...

I'm diving farther into the world of EMS and pursuing a paramedic license through a reputable program this January. I am a green basic (April 30 2012) and am looking for any and all pointers, particularly from anyone who has gone straight through both programs.

I really thought about waiting, but it truly wasn't a viable option at this point in my life.

Again, any and every tidbit is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I am glad you are pursuing additional education in the EMS field. It can be a very rewarding career.

Just a word of caution, though. As a green EMT jumping right into Paramedic, you're going to have some extra challenges in school and beyond. While you're in class, most of your classmates will be experienced EMT's or AEMT's, some with many, many years of real-world EMS. Hands-on experience is a tremendous asset. You may find yourself struggling with some aspects of the class in comparison to those around you.

When you graduate (and I am sure you will), you may find similar challenges for a while and for the same reasons. Don't let it discourage you. If management seems to hold you back a bit longer with seasoned mentors and coaches, treat it as a positive. They want you to succeed so don't feel that you are being punished if you're not given your wings right away.

boboloo

Jun 5, 2012
Kalamazoo, MI
There is a learning curve but do not let it hold you back. If you want to be a paramedic then jump right into it. By the time you finish school you will have a lot of EMT experience too.

Remember that many Paramedics graduate with no experience what-so-ever. You will already have some basic experience and more before you graduate.

Go for it and do not let anything stop you! Good Luck!

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
Doctors begin there training with little to no medical training. The paramedic curriculum is designed to incorporate hands-on training along with textbook knowledge. You'll get lab time for simulations, but more importantly you'll do ride times and clinicals to give you real patient contacts. As long as your school is good, go for it!

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
jprleedy4680 said:
Again, any and every tidbit is greatly appreciated.

All bleeding eventually stops.

There is no body cavity that can't be reached with a #18 needle and a strong right arm.

If during the ride to the hospital your driver yells HOLY SHIT, don't look out the window.

All patients have a full stomach.

If the patient is sitting up and talking to you, then they're not in v-fib or asystole, no matter what the monitor says.

If it is warm, wet, and not yours, DO NOT TOUCH IT!

mc11984

Sep 12, 2011
North Carolina
1. Air goes in and out

2. Blood goes round and round

3. If either of the above two are out of sequence, there is a problem

On a serious note, know your Anatomy and Physiology very well. I don't know how they do things other places, but where I am from, it is now a requirement to have passed an A&P course prior to taking any EMT-P program. Also, I went through EMT-Intermediate before jumping into EMT-P just to get a little more first hand knowledge of things like drugs and practice starting IVs and intubating people. Try and absorb every bit of knowledge you can, even if it is from ALS providers outside of class. Everyone has a different way of doing things, and I found it's easiest to take a little piece from a lot of different people, and kinda making my own way. The only real way you will learn and retain your knowledge though, is hands on experience so make sure you make the most of your clinical hours and hands on practicals in class. Cardiology will either thrill you or scare the crap out of you, either way it's hard, you just gotta stick to it and make yourself know it. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fun though.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Go for it and good luck. As said above know your anatomy and practice skill station's every chance you get. It will be a good experience for you. When doing your clinical's try and do them in different hospital's if possible and a Trauma Center makes for great learning.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.