Passive identification on Whelen 500 series leds

bluestinger90

Jun 5, 2010
BC / California
Could someone confirm if these are passive, or require a ballast? The seller says they tested and they work on 12volt, and therefore are passive. However a seller here, selling the same light head, has a sticker clearly identifying the lighting to be passive.

The one I am inquiring into;

ai.imgur.com_wCZKI.png

The seller here, clear identification it's passive.

ai.imgur.com_LSNmF.jpg

On a related note, do Whelen serial numbers contain the date of manufacture?

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
The top picture is a ballast type. The giveaway is that it says 140 degree, and "tir ballast". The second one is much newer and is true 12v passive.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
The older TIR6s all said BALLAST on them. Not sure why they were labeled that way, but they run off of 12v just like any passive LED lighthead. I assume it means there is an internal ballast or something.

I have never come across a TIR6 that required an external ballast flasher to operate. The only ballast 500 series lightheads I've seen are linear, never TIR.

Have him send a picture of them lit up if you are still doubtful.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
bigcat said:
The older TIR6s all said BALLAST on them. Not sure why they were labeled that way, but they run off of 12v just like any passive LED lighthead. I assume it means there is an internal ballast or something.

Agreed. I've run into several of these. Straight 12V works.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.