PC programmable LED flasher?

norcalbusa

May 23, 2010
California
Is there one on the market now? I'm thinking there's a market for a flasher that you build your own patterns on a simulator, on your PC. Oh for sure, make it easy and have a few dozen pre-made/canned patterns one can drag 'n drop into a script. But also allow the user to create their own by getting as granular as they desire in the flash, dwell, etc. I'm thinking it not unlike mixing music or video where there entire script is a timeline (set however long you desire) that loops. Or with a signal (such as Horn ring) it jumps to a second script, then reverts- all of this customizable by the user. For those of us who aren't already on computers all day... :) Wouldn't this be cool though? No measurable benefit to society, just fun as heck to play with and design multi-head stuff, be able to view it play on your screen- then go upload it to a bar or individual heads on a vehicle and watch it play, rinse/repeat...

Medicman695

May 27, 2011
USA, MN
Whelen makes one called "WeCan"

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
I really really want exactly what you describe... I'd love for someone to design that and me market it!

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Pimp said:
I really really want exactly what you describe... I'd love for someone to design that and me market it!

+1

I'd like for someone to design it and you market it too. That sounds like an awesome idea. The simulator portion on the PC wouldn't be that hard I don't imagine, the challenging part would be the interface to a flasher unit.

fire1

Jun 5, 2011
Michigan
WhiteLite03 said:
+1

I'd like for someone to design it and you market it too. That sounds like an awesome idea. The simulator portion on the PC wouldn't be that hard I don't imagine, the challenging part would be the interface to a flasher unit.

That would be nice, but the R & D & then finding a company to manufacture it would cost a fortune.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Pimp said:

I'm on it. Just give me four years to get my degree in electrical engineering... :D

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Lol, this just kinda fizzled out couple months ago. I am still interested if anyone can find someone electrically inclined to design this!

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
It's not much really, just a microprocessor, programming board, and then inputs and outputs to boot. But since they aren't mass produced for this purpose, consider buying a basic robotics kit and using that with relays. I'd recommend Parallax.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
jcpse said:
I've wanted somthing like this. Cantrol is too expensive and I haven't attended their stupid class, so I can't touch it haha.

CanTrol allows for pattern switching based on input and output thresholds, but it doesn't allow for custom pattern building like what he's describing.

Most of Whelen's "Smart" LEDs use the LM310 IC for controlling patterns and syncing lightheads. I would imagine there is a similar architecture on the CanTrol/WeCan systems. If you had a way to flash the firmware of the 310, you could theoretically make your own patterns.

But good luck doing that. ;P

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
This I could do no problem. However, there would have to be a market for this. The smaller the demand, the higher the price there would have to be in order to simply break even.

I've done horn ring flash which jumps the pattern for approx 8 seconds.

May 21, 2010
Miami FL
Hi everydody... I think that is not that hard, I will recomend you start with a simple programing in basic or C, when you make the program turn on and off a Led you are on the road... the following is to have a little practice, I do programing for so long now, sometimes some programing are hard than others, but with practice you can make all, then you need to have experience with the electronics or check some forums and make the PCBs, I start building mines my own, now I order from china, no junk, the cost me a lot...

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
This sounds like the perfect application for an Arduino microcontroller. I'm going to have to get back to messing with those.

KAdams327

Oct 28, 2011
MI
ryanm said:
This sounds like the perfect application for an Arduino microcontroller.

Exactly. Hack a Day has a ton of information about using these for different projects. I know they have featured a few LED projects with these.

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
KAdams327 said:
Exactly. Hack a Day has a ton of information about using these for different projects. I know they have featured a few LED projects with these.

I played with some at a conference a while back. I don't think it would be that difficult, just a time-consuming project.

Too many other things to do!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.