Perimeter lighting options

smackjack21

Aug 22, 2012
Upstate NY
MY FD is considering retrofitting our heavy rescue with an LED warning light package. The truck has a total of 6 Whelen 700 strobes, 8? 900 series halogen flashing heads, halogen bar/scene lights. Without getting too in depth in the project, my question would be: Are there any other options on the market other than whelen?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
smackjack21 said:
MY FD is considering retrofitting our heavy rescue with an LED warning light package. The truck has a total of 6 Whelen 700 strobes, 8? 900 series halogen flashing heads, halogen bar/scene lights. Without getting too in depth in the project, my question would be: Are there any other options on the market other than whelen?

I've seen people gut them and replace them with Feniex Fairy (and more recently the Feneix Cannons) turned out really nice.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
There are other options out there but Whelen makes the best large LED perimeter lighting. If there are halogen and strobe Whelen products there now the obvious choice is to replace them with the LED equivalents.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Federal Signal makes the QudraFlares. But I agree, Whelen is the way to go here.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
FEVER said:
I've seen people gut them and replace them with Feniex Fairy (and more recently the Feneix Cannons) turned out really nice.

I've done it a few times and it works fantastically... brighter than the strobes were, and very easy to do labor wise.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
SirenWorld.com said:
I've done it a few times and it works fantastically... brighter than the strobes were, and very easy to do labor wise.

Only problem with this the FD could possibly loss their ass in a lawsuit due to not being NFPA/KKK.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
smackjack21 said:

I vote for replacing them with whelen 700s & 900s! They're bright as F@#K, dependable, & they'll be easy to replace on the current setup. You'll find some good deals from some of the dealers on this site.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
MEVS06 said:
Only problem with this the FD could possibly loss their ass in a lawsuit due to not being NFPA/KKK.

Neither was the shorted out and partially non-functional strobe system that it replaced...

I'm pretty familiar with NFPA 1901, and after refreshing my memory, I'm not seeing how it wouldn't be compliant. It's retrofitting a system that was NFPA compliant at the time of installation and adds flash output candelas and covers all the zones with the appropriate colors. Am I missing something? I'm not familiar with the KKK standard, does anyone have the basics of that?

Last edited by a moderator:

smackjack21

Aug 22, 2012
Upstate NY
Thanks for the options folks. We shall see what the 2014 budget allows. As much as I like Feniex products, I dont think my department would go for hacking apart heads and putting cannons in there. Whelen led heads make the most sense to me.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
SirenWorld.com said:

They're certainly much brighter...but now I have two additional objections - the patterns on the rear minibars need to be changed to eliminate the splitting of the heads...make all 6 flash at the same time for a bigger footprint, and those stupid "pinwheel" patterns I saw on a few LED modules along the side. The "after" video doesn't really show if that has been fixed.

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
PJD642 said:
They're certainly much brighter...but now I have two additional objections - the patterns on the rear minibars need to be changed to eliminate the splitting of the heads...make all 6 flash at the same time for a bigger footprint, and those stupid "pinwheel" patterns I saw on a few LED modules along the side. The "after" video doesn't really show if that has been fixed.

The patterns on the minibars have been changed... they wanted those patterns initially, I tried to talk them out of it... and eventually did (not before I shot the video).

The pinwheel lights weren't mine. Those were existing Weldon Diamondbacks. They're not horrible, but yeah, not the greatest either.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
SirenWorld.com said:
The patterns on the minibars have been changed... they wanted those patterns initially, I tried to talk them out of it... and eventually did (not before I shot the video).

The pinwheel lights weren't mine. Those were existing Weldon Diamondbacks. They're not horrible, but yeah, not the greatest either.

I didn't think the Weldon's were your doing, just bitching about the stupidity of the pattern was all. No offense meant. And glad to hear the minibars were fixed!

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
PJD642 said:

Ugh, exactly :puke: :puke:.... If you're fixing their lights, 'FIX' their lights... That rotating pinwheel crap... um yeah. And the splitfail on the minibars.... um, yeah. :hahano: :hahano: :hahano: :hahano:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.