PIC HEAVY: 2013 Sutphen Shield Series Pumper/Rescue: BTFD - Elkhart, IN

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
We will be taking delivery of our new custom made Shield Series pumper/rescue, built by Sutphen, on Friday. These are the preliminary photos, before our people travel to Sutphen's Amlin, OH plant to officially take delivery. It is the first new piece of apparatus my FD has received since 1999. It will replace a 1989 Ford C/FMC pumper (Engine 5) and a refurbished 1987 Pierce Lance walk-around rescue (Rescue 6). Engine 5 will remain in the fleet as a reserve engine. The previous Rescue 6 has already been decommissioned and sold.

I will update this thread this weekend, with new photos after the rig has arrived at our station. We should have it fully equipped and ready for service by next Friday. I helped in the lighting specs (all Whelen) and while we were a bit constrained by budget, I couldn't be happier with how it's come out. Can't wait to see it, this Friday!

Lighting & Warning Specifications:

Front

Lightbar = Whelen ULTRA Freedom (8 Head) - (6) Red & (2) White Modules

Front Mid-Level Warning = (4) Whelen 600 Series Super LEDs - Red LEDs w/Red Lens (Each side of grille, each side of headlight housing)

Turn Signals = Whelen 400 Series LEDs

Siren = Federal Signal Q2B (1 foot switch for driver, 1 left foot switch for officer inboard of air horn switch)

Siren = Whelen 295 HFSA1

Siren Speaker = Whelen SA4201

Airhorn = (2) Grover 2040 Stuttertone Airhorns (Operable by horn and officer's left foot switch)

Side

(2) Whelen 600 Series Super LEDs - Red (Located in rear fender, forward of rear wheel)

Rear

(2) Whelen RB6 Rotating Beacons - Red

(2) Whelen 600 Series Super LEDs - Red (Located each side in tail light cluster)

(2) Whelen 500 Series LEDs - Red (Located in rub rail near rear of apparatus, (1) each side)

Whelen LED Quad Cluster Tail Lights w/Halogen Backup Lights

Scene Lighting & Misc. Lighting

Front Brow Scene Light = FRC Focus 500W 120V

Handheld Spotlight = Optronics KB-4003

(2) Unity Hosebed Floodlights

(4) Interior Cab Lights - Red/White LED (2 front, 2 rear)

Whelen LED Strip Lights (2 in each compartment)

(1) ICC Lights

(1) Step Lights

(1) Undercarriage Ground Lights

(2) Rear Cab Flood Lights = FRC Tele-Lights 750W 120V

(2) Rear Body Flood Lights = FRC Tele-Lights 750W 240VAC (Modified pole length of 38")

Other:

Capacity =1000 gallon Poly Tank

Pump = Hale QMAX 1500GPM Single Stage

(2) 6" Inlets

(1) 5" Front Suction w/Swivel, Electric Operated

(1) 2.5" Left Side Inlet

(1) 3" Tank-To-Pump w/Check Valve

(1) 2" Tank Fill

(1) Outlet

(2) 2.5" Left Side Discharge

(1) 2.5" Right Side Discharge

(1) 3" Right Side Discharge

(1) 2.5" Left Rear Discharge

(1) 2.5" Right Rear Discharge

(1) 3" Deck Gun Riser

(1) Task Force Tips Extend-A-Gun XG18, 18" Extend

(4) SCBA Cylinder Compartments (2 each side)

(3) 600lb Slide-Master Trays

(1) 250lb Adjustable Vertical Slide-Out Tool Board

(5) Adjustable Shelf in Compartment (Each)

(2) Ladders, Alco-Lite 24' 2Sec, 14' RF, 10' Fold

(1) Ladder Chute w/Backboard Storage

(1) Two 10' Section 6" Lightweight (KOCHEK) Suction Hose, Mounting & Strainer

(1) Ziamatix SAC-44 Folding Wheel Chock Mounted w/SQCH-44H Holders, Per Pair

(1) Deep/Full Width Storage Well for 24" Steel Plated Bumper

(1) Generator Smart Power HYD 10KW (Located in dunnage area, driver side)

null-73.jpg

null-90.jpg

null-89.jpg

null-88.jpg

null-84.jpg

null-87.jpg

null-74.jpg

null-75.jpg

null-78.jpg

null-79.jpg

null-76.jpg

null-77.jpg

null-85.jpg

null-83.jpg

null-80.jpg

null-65.jpg

null-66.jpg

null-67.jpg

null-68.jpg

null-71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Very nice upgrade; I've never heard any complaints on sutphen quality.

I've personally never been a fan of painted rims but other than that, it's for a solid color scheme. Maybe sometime down the road, we can see a lighthead being added on each side somewhere in the center (under the pump operator step or middle of the cab)?

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
RyanZ71 said:
Congrats! Lets hear the specs on engine, pump, and lights.

Thank you! We're all very excited about getting this. I just returned home from 3 back to back calls.. Strong storm sweeped through and we were getting toned for lines down and 2 tree fires. Would have loved to have brought out our new rig.

proudfirefighter said:
It looks good!
How many gallons? Any foam?

Can't wait to see it when it's delivered

I'll list all of the specs on Wednesday. It's my day off from my full time job an since my wife will be working, I've decided to sit duty in station from 0800-1600. Rather than give partial information now, I'll have all specs Wednesday morning and will update this thread, accordingly. There will be foam capabilities.

pdk9 said:
Very nice upgrade; I've never heard any complaints on sutphen quality.
I've personally never been a fan of painted rims but other than that, it's for a solid color scheme. Maybe sometime down the road, we can see a lighthead being added on each side somewhere in the center (under the pump operator step or middle of the cab)?

We're thrilled to death to have the upgrade. Sutphen was very receptive to all our requests and we were basically able to customize the rig to our own specific needs, really from the ground up. The painted wheels is more of an "old school" tradition that we have, with all our apparatus. I, personally, would prefer chrome - but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Beggars can't be choosers! Haha.

I will definitely be adding to the apparatus' warning package. The current setup is the best I could do with the funding that was available. I'm planning to add (2) more Whelen M7s/Whelen 900 Series LEDs (or comparable) along each side, as well as supplemental scene lighting (Feniex Titan series). I'll be paying for half of the additional lighting costs, as well as donating the labor and materials.

They don't know it yet, but me thinks it may need an LED Roto-Ray down the line. :undecided:

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Please make sure no one tries to drive that thing under a bridge or tree that is too short :( What a beautiful rig! So you folks already sold the old Ford, Eh?

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
RyanZ71 said:
Please make sure no one tries to drive that thing under a bridge or tree that is too short :( What a beautiful rig! So you folks already sold the old Ford, Eh?

No, we still have the Ford (Engine 5). I took it out on a couple of runs last night, due to a heavy storm that passed through. It was the Pierce walk-around that we sold off.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I'm working day shift at the FD right now... I pulled the spec/component listing sheets from Sutphen and updated the opening post, accordingly. Our chief and fleet LT are leaving tomorrow for Ohio, returning Friday around 4pm with our new baby.

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
null-70.jpg

null-69.jpg

null-82.jpg

null-81.jpg

null-72.jpg

The original post has been updated with photos, as well as this post (limited to 20 per post, so they were continued here). The rig is just about completely equipped, now. Just have to add vent saws, etc in the front officer's side compartment. Should have it in service in just a couple of days. Enjoy!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hey Dave, can you give us some more info about what lighting is installed on the rig?

JK lol...looks very nice. What's the starting price of the sutphen shields these days (before all the add-ons)?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.