Pick me a Lightbar

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I am planning on taking the Justice off of my new rollback, and moving it to a truck that is in more desperate need of LED lighting (Truck with 4 corner Edge, two rotator Aerodynic, etc).

So my question is this. What is the brightest, most effective lightbar that I can get for around $2500-$3000.

It needs to be at least 54 inches, but preferably 60-70. I don't necessarily need STT lights or work lights, but I want the thing to be loaded with warning modules all the way around. I have some ideas in mind already, but I would like to see what you think before I throw my ideas into the ring.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Hands down a Freedom with amber lenses! But (instead of putting all your money on a fully populated freedom) consider a few linear lightheads on 45 degree brackets facing upward to go along with the freedom, so that you have warning facing the rear when the rollback is in use

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Legacy A/W duo bar, so you can have 'flood' to the front, or to the rear for work lights.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
It's a wrecker. It doesn't run code 3. A Justice would do very nicely... spend the other money on some perimeter lighting to protect you when the rollback is up, good LED work lighting, etc. I bet your drivers would much prefer killer scene lighting over having an overkill lightbar.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
tvsjr said:
It's a wrecker. It doesn't run code 3. A Justice would do very nicely... spend the other money on some perimeter lighting to protect you when the rollback is up, good LED work lighting, etc. I bet your drivers would much prefer killer scene lighting over having an overkill lightbar.

kind of what I was thinking....

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
If this is for the same truck that is in your thread in the install section it has more than enough perimeter lighting and work lighting. If you have a $3000 budget I would go with something unique like a FedSig Vision SLR or the new Navigator bar or maybe even a RotaBeam Freedom. Every wrecker out there has a Freedom or an Edge on it, go with something unique. A 60" Vision SLR with two multicolor pods and a signal master is just under $3000.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
If its a roll back load a conversion van on the back and see if you can see the light bar to the rear.. ;)

wrecker.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I could mark up an old stock JDI Illumistar® to $3K if you'd like. :bonk:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
acala91 said:
If this is for the same truck that is in your thread in the install section it has more than enough perimeter lighting and work lighting. If you have a $3000 budget I would go with something unique like a FedSig Vision SLR or the new Navigator bar or maybe even a RotaBeam Freedom. Every wrecker out there has a Freedom or an Edge on it, go with something unique. A 60" Vision SLR with two multicolor pods and a signal master is just under $3000.

Vision won't work for him on a rollback wrecker. There's also no need for a wrecker to have multicolor pods just to spend the full $3,000 budget.

He's looking for quality warning, not starting a fashion trend. Lots of wreckers have freedoms b/c they work.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
pdk9 said:
... He's looking for quality warning, not starting a fashion trend. ...

JDI bars have never been considered fashionable. :yes:

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Off topic, but if you've got those round amber running lights all along the edge of the bed, why not swap out the halogen bulbs for amber Cannons? Low power mode for running lights, and high power, flashing mode for supplemental warning?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
pdk9 said:
Vision won't work for him on a rollback wrecker. There's also no need for a wrecker to have multicolor pods just to spend the full $3,000 budget.

He's looking for quality warning, not starting a fashion trend. Lots of wreckers have freedoms b/c they work.

Why wouldn't a Vision work on a wrecker? Also, the only reason I mentioned the multicolor pods is because the only place I know of to get a price that isn't MSRP includes two multicolor pods in the price. I also mentioned it because the OP has a Vision on another vehicle.

I am well aware that freedoms work. It is entirely possible to have quality warning AND have a unique lightbar. Pretty sure a top of the line FedSig lightbar falls into the category of quality warning :rolleyes:

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I am actually looking for something a bit more unique. Our main competitor in town has almost exclusively Freedoms on his trucks, so I don't want to go that route. I know that they are good bars, and I actually had one on my old Expedition, but I just don't want to get one at this point.

The bars that were the highest on my list were the Legacy, Aerodynic SL, and Sound-Off nForce.

I can get a very good deal on an nForce, but I don't really know how it will stack up against an equivalent Whelen or Federal bar. I have had bad luck with Sound-Off products in the past, so I am a bit wary there. If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate some feedback.

I'm not sure if Federal even makes an Aerodynic with front and rear modules anymore, but I have someone checking on that for me.

As for the Vision SLR, I'm afraid that it won't work real well for a rollback. Too long front-to-back. I have considered a Navigator, but I'm guessing that it will end up being a bit too rich for my blood.

And I got a quote on a Code 3 Defender. $4100 for a 58 inch, and $5000 for a 72 inch. That's a little ridiculous.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
acala91 said:
Why wouldn't a Vision work on a wrecker? Also, the only reason I mentioned the multicolor pods is because the only place I know of to get a price that isn't MSRP includes two multicolor pods in the price. I also mentioned it because the OP has a Vision on another vehicle.

I am well aware that freedoms work. It is entirely possible to have quality warning AND have a unique lightbar. Pretty sure a top of the line FedSig lightbar falls into the category of quality warning :rolleyes:

A vision wouldn't work here b/c the lightbar would be mounted on a headache rack on the rollback bed, which would look stupid and (more importantly) leave it susceptible to getting damaged from sticking out that much from the mounting platform. And, if he mounted the vision on top of the cab itself, the lightbar would be entirely obstructed from the rear every time a car was being loaded/unloaded onto the bed.

As for it being a FedSig bar, I never shot down the vision as not being quality warning; I only stated that it was not the best choice for a rollback wrecker bed, due to it's shape :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Now hear me out, but looking at this from a totally logical perspective, why do you need the brightest bar? Correct me if I'm wrong, but every vehicle that may be of concern to you is already facing you. The traffic you are most concerned with is oncoming traffic in either direction. Brightness is not a pro for you in this sense, it's a con. Blinding oncoming drivers makes them hit you.

Brightness is for trying to get the attention of drivers in front of you heading in the same direction (requesting the right of way), or at intersections, when you are penetrating an intersection that is not green for you. In either scenario, you are not allowed to do either.

As I said, not trying to rain on your parade, but in your case, brighter is not necessarily better. You need effective warning, and that's lights put in the right spot.

If you're having a light battle with the competition, then I see you point, but for safety, all of the people you need to worry about are facing you. Trust me, the lookie loos are looking.

Tony

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
ERM said:
Now hear me out, but looking at this from a totally logical perspective, why do you need the brightest bar? Correct me if I'm wrong, but every vehicle that may be of concern to you is already facing you. The traffic you are most concerned with is oncoming traffic in either direction. Brightness is not a pro for you in this sense, it's a con. Blinding oncoming drivers makes them hit you.

Brightness is for trying to get the attention of drivers in front of you heading in the same direction (requesting the right of way), or at intersections, when you are penetrating an intersection that is not green for you. In either scenario, you are not allowed to do either.

As I said, not trying to rain on your parade, but in your case, brighter is not necessarily better. You need effective warning, and that's lights put in the right spot.

If you're having a light battle with the competition, then I see you point, but for safety, all of the people you need to worry about are facing you. Trust me, the lookie loos are looking.

Tony

I have all the lighting I need. This is not so much a matter of needing a far brighter bar, but more of a deal where I am in need of a different lightbar for an older truck, and would like to use the Justice from this truck.

I need effective lighting, which in this case is a bright lightbar. I'm not sure why I would possibly want a lightbar that is dimmer than necessary. When parked on the side of a major interstate (Of which we have two that intersect only 5 miles from our shop), I want the brightest, most effective lighting possible.

Check out my install thread here: http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/2014-ford-f550-updated-5-4-14-a-63165/ if you want to see the secondary lighting on the truck. There is plenty of light, and I am only interested in changing out the lightbar.

I have been doing this for a long time, and I know what is needed to be seen. I never go overboard on my lighting, because I am well aware of the moth effect with impaired drivers. I set my trucks up with lower modes of lighting so they provide adequate lighting in situations that do not necessitate the full lighting package. I train my drivers to use only necessary lighting, and to not use scene lighting in situations that may blind oncoming traffic.

Safety is a huge consideration for me, and I have put a great deal of time and effort into trying to figure out ways to increase safety for my drivers and myself. That is why my trucks have bright and effective lighting. That is why my trucks have reflective chevrons on the rear, and reflective stripes on the insides of door jams. That is why my uniforms meet and have met ANSI standards for a long time. My drivers have been wearing high-visibility uniforms for years, long before it was made a federal requirement for workers on federal highways. I train employees to be as safe as possible whenever they are faced with dangerous circumstances.

What I am trying to say here is that I do not want a bright bar just to look cool and beat out the competition. I want a bright bar to have effective and reasonable lighting on a truck that will spend a large amount of its life out on a highway, protecting my drivers, the public, and myself from harm.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I commend you for your safety standards, but as I stated, brighter is not always better. I didn't suggest a China bar, but any of the name brands would be more than enough since all of your traffic is facing you.

All of us on here have some kind of fascination with lights. There are two ways I look at lights when driving; as a motorist and as an enthusiast. As a motorist, I judge how effective it was at getting my attention (both in brightness and pattern selection) and I look at the overall placement of the product. With respect to brightness, looking at an M7 vs. a Cuda optic, the brightness varies greatly, but I still see them from a distance as I am facing these vehicles.

My response to you is as a motorist. I'm suggesting to you what I have seen as effective lighting and it's not always what's brightest. You asked for opinions and that is what I offered. People offered a suggestion and you replied with the competitor has that bar and you want to be unique. So, brightness be damned? If you had a list, then ask which one of these would be better for your criteria.

Your concern is when you are out working and not so much as when driving. Working means that your bed is up and your lightbar is tilted. Choose a bar that has a better up and down spread or find a way to keep your bar parallel to the ground. Would the bar be blocked if it was mounted to the cab and the bed was up?

Tony

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
as another tower i know where you are coming from. my suggestion would be either a whelen towman's edge bar or if you want to go old school to be totally different either a federal aerodynic wrecker special or a jetstream/jetstrobe wrecker bar.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
What about a 57" Avatar? They are bright as heck. If you don't want that how about a duo Liberty. Don't see a lot of those used on wreckers.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Here's an idea - see if you can't wait a few (...a lot) months and pick up a Navigator as soon as they're available?

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
Well, I think that I am going to go with a 72" Sound-Off nForce. The price is right, and I have seen the nForce modules in person now.

I would have gone with a Legacy, but Whelen only makes a 54" bar. Nothing bigger.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
Grill lights, dash lights, intersection lights, perimeter warning lights - I don't understand any of them on a tow truck.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
WS224 said:
Grill lights, dash lights, intersection lights, perimeter warning lights - I don't understand any of them on a tow truck.

If it's a rollback and the bed is lifted, some perimeter lighting can be handy since the bar will be at a 30-40 degree angle. Halogen bars had less issue because they show a fair amount of light out the top... not so for LED or strobe.

If I were building a wrecker, I'd put a decent amber LED bar on top. Justice, Liberty, nForce, etc. Then add perhaps 8 amber/white nForce heads around the perimeter - grille, front side, rear side, rear. Configure the nForces to be amber warning or white scene lights, so you can get some additional work light when required. I'd probably also add some dedicated LED scene lighting front and rear, and maybe one or two on push-up poles. Lifetime, Whelen Pioneer, etc.

Most wrecker drivers I've seen would be far happier with more scene/work lighting than more blinkenlights.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Fed Sig SLR, or Whelen Rotabeam pods on the top of the side view mirrors.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
WS224 said:

Well for the grill lights on a rollback the lightbar is invisible to the front once the bed is tilted. For side lighting, have you never seen a wrecker having to be turned across a lane to recover a vehicle? For more rear lighting, most of the time once there is a vehicle on the bed the back of the lightbar is blocked.

Despite what some folks believe there is not always emergency vehicles on the scene when the wrecker gets there. So they have to have what they think is adequate to keep them safe.

Reactions: wrecker44

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
I realize this may be a bit late, but have you considered anything like Micro Freedoms or Micro Liberties on top of the side mirrors? The local USPS rollback has two Code 3 Intensity mini-bars set-up like that, and it is quite effective, regardles of if the vehicle is loaded or not. I don't think it would add TOO MUCH width to your vehicle, either.

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
not only are we often there first but in some cases like freeway service providers they are on the highway scene after the police and fire/ems leave not every town in america has enough cops to stay and direct traffic for the wrecker operators. for those who say all we need is a lightbar an nothing else are you willing to tell that to our widows at our funerals.

GPC said:
Well for the grill lights on a rollback the lightbar is invisible to the front once the bed is tilted. For side lighting, have you never seen a wrecker having to be turned across a lane to recover a vehicle? For more rear lighting, most of the time once there is a vehicle on the bed the back of the lightbar is blocked.

Despite what some folks believe there is not always emergency vehicles on the scene when the wrecker gets there. So they have to have what they think is adequate to keep them safe.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
pdk9 said:
A vision wouldn't work here b/c the lightbar would be mounted on a headache rack on the rollback bed, which would look stupid and (more importantly) leave it susceptible to getting damaged from sticking out that much from the mounting platform. And, if he mounted the vision on top of the cab itself, the lightbar would be entirely obstructed from the rear every time a car was being loaded/unloaded onto the bed.
As for it being a FedSig bar, I never shot down the vision as not being quality warning; I only stated that it was not the best choice for a rollback wrecker bed, due to it's shape :rolleyes:

Point taken, didn't consider that. Also, after rereading my earlier comments I kinda came off as a dick which was not intentional.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
JGG said:
Well, I think that I am going to go with a 72" Sound-Off nForce. The price is right, and I have seen the nForce modules in person now.

I would have gone with a Legacy, but Whelen only makes a 54" bar. Nothing bigger.

The nForce bar is bright, it's not my favorite in the looks department but function over form in this case. Also, you can't go wrong with SOS.

wrecker44

Jul 17, 2010
spokane,wa
Grill, and perimeter lighting for blocking the right of way. Same as any fire apparatus or ambulance.  Ever seen a roll-back towtruck trying to load at a bad angle in an intersection?  Or any towtruck for that matter? If the intersection is still open.. Kinda gotta have it.......

As for the OP.....  Skip the big $ bar for the pylon.....gets blocked out most of the time so whats the use? Placement is key on that truck of yours. Throw a left over budget bar on the pylon, or a pair of Halo mini-bars ($200 tops). Put some top shelf work lights up there for loading. A pair of micro-edges on top of the mirrors (or extended off the sides of the cab, so they don't tilt to a bad angle) that get the warning patterns visable from around the load. Figure about $500-$1500 on the micro's depending on the configuration (LED/Strobe...new/used). The rest should be in well placed perimeter LED heads. I'd do Whelen 500 series under the tailboard by your lower work-lights ($200 +/-....visable when bed is loaded). A second pair, one on each side, just in front of the duals, under the bed ($200 +/-), and which-ever grill lights you prefer.

That would leave you WAY under that $3k budget....and be 300% more real-world effective than just slapping an expensive loaded lightbar on the pylon.

Just my opinion, which ever way you go....have fun with it.   :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.