Pics of CHP Whelen Mirror-Beams

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Thought I would show off our original CHP Whelen 500-series Mirror-Beams:D CHP started using the plastic housing in 2009. These came off a "2nd run" 2009.

Cleaned them up, and they are now in a box waiting to go into long term storage:) We don't want to impersonate a newer CHP vehicle. We have enough vintage CHP's to restore to keep us busy until these newer cars are eligible for restoration lol.

LED's are burned out on both of them. I'll have to find replacements when I get the money. Maybe give the replacements to my dad for his birthday in another 9 months. I want to find the other pieces of Whelen lighting that are correct for CHPs.

My dad was lucky to get a complete prototype/test setup from an 03 CHP. (Didn't steal it, it was accidentally sold off, some guy bought it, then my dads friend bought it and traded it to my dad). No pics of that, I haven't found it yet:crazy:

I'm happy with myself, as I pretty much know what the newer CHP cars have equipment wise, and have pics. I post this as documentation:D

Mocked up on a damaged door of my dads

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_P1010351.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_P1010352.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_P1010353.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_P1010355.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_P1010365.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_P1010368.jpg

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_P1010371.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/CHPs/P1010397.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/CHPs/P1010402.jpg

I just love CHP authentic equipment:D:drooling:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
lafd55 said:
What's special about CHP mirror beams?

Nothing, other than the fact they are genuine CHP :D

Maybe the CHP wiring connectors and uncut harness that routes into the car.

I need to buy replacement modules, might as well go all out while I can and buy everything else lighting wise so we have it:crazy:

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Shawn L said:
hurry and check your manufacture dates, they have a 5 year warranty..... if they were on an 09 you might have warranty remaining.

Wouldn't I have to prove I purchased them new? Or do they not care? I would want to keep the originals too... I'll have to look into it.

EDIT:Manufacture date on one is 7 of 09

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
call whelen, get a return addreess/ return number and sed it back, they willl fix it or replace it , no way to keep the orriginals you need to send them in.

and just to clarify you would just be sending the defective light head in.

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Shawn L said:
call whelen, get a return addreess/ return number and sed it back, they willl fix it or replace it , no way to keep the orriginals you need to send them in.

and just to clarify you would just be sending the defective light head in.

I could do that. My dad doesn't want to though, as I found a picture of his car while it was inservice on flickr(by Navymailman). In the picture the Mirror Beams are burnt out just the same as they are now. Just more proof it's the same car:D

The modules aren't that much. There are two red 6 LED modules in the Marketplace rightnow for $50.

ai1171.photobucket.com_albums_r546_TheCopFoxStop_CHPs_IMG_0906.jpg

chp0614.jpg

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
Shawn L said:
are they split heads? and they crapped out on one 1/2 of the board?

They are supposed to be all red. Drivers side has only 2 LEDs lighting up amd passenger side has 3. The studs on the plastic part of the module broke, letting water or dirt in. One side only one stud broke, LEDs on that studs side went out.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Whelen warranty has been discussed time and time again.

As long as the date code is w/in 5 years, the current owner is irrelevant. You don't need to have bought them new, you could be the 10th owner, and you don't need to have a purchase receipt. Send the units to Whelen Warranty Repair with a note of what's wrong and your return address. It's that easy.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
But if their fixed they wouldnt be genuine CHP ... LOOL

I understand what hes saying, they where off his dads car I think.. So yeah just get a diff set and tresure those to the dresser top.. ;)

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
CodeMan said:
But if their fixed they wouldnt be genuine CHP ...

They generally try and fix the defective parts before replacing the entire head.

CodeMan

Dec 27, 2012
Central Florida
rwo978 said:
They generally try and fix the defective parts before replacing the entire head.

Ahh noted, was trying to be humorus X fail X

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
CodeMan said:
But if their fixed they wouldnt be genuine CHP ... LOOL

I understand what hes saying, they where off his dads car I think.. So yeah just get a diff set and tresure those to the dresser top.. ;)

Yes, they are off my dads car that is pictured above. I don't want to send them off when it would be easier to buy a nice set, then can keep the originals.

Any equipment left on a CHP car my dad buys is like gold to me. And if we are going to restore the car in the future when it's of age, it's cool to be able to say the car still has some of its original stuff. The 09 my dad bought that the mirror beams came from still had a bit of the wiring, bracket for the camera by the mirror, some of the light bar wiring, most of the equipment bolts amd screws were in the trunk, and has some other brackets.

Extremely rare for newer lighting to sneak out of CHP hands, along with the wiring.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.