Pipe/ Pole Mounting

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Im trying to figure out a way to mount a beacon onto a small aluminum rescue boat. I was thinking of putting it on just a standard 1" pipe for the extra height, but would like some kind of way of putting it down when not in use. A telescoping mount would work as well, just looking for some kind of movable mount. If there is no other way of doing it I guess it will just go on a 2' pipe.

Another thing I was thinking of was one of the self leveling mounts like some dump trucks have. Anyone have an item number or link for said item?

For the beacon I was thinking of a code 3 Lss222 led beacon.

Any ideas help! The goal is just to be able to see the boat while navigating in the creeks which have high reeds. Getting a beacon up high and level would make it much easier.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Thanks, thats the leveling part I was talking about. Putting one of them on top of the motorcycle or similar telescoping pole mounts will do the job well I believe. Still open to suggestions!

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Unless you're almost always on flat water, I think you'll find that the self-levelling brackets will just cause the light to swing wildly. They are not damped in any way, so they just flop around in rough water. They work ok on dump trucks where the box goes up relatively slowly, but I've not had good experiences on a boat.

Get a 1" threaded pipe and use an Ultrastar LED or Pulsator LED or something. They both have 1" thread receivers in the base.

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
I'll 2nd what Mark said about the bracket. You will destroy both the light and the bracket before too long if this boat is used in any kind of rough water.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
LED said:

Yes, this is the way to go. If you're on flat water, then you don't need the light to self-level. It'll be just fine as long as it's installed level in relation to the boat's waterline.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
2 pieces of 90 degree angle iron secured to boat

drill hole in both pieces of angle iron and a hole in pipe of your choice.

use bolt with lock washers and wing nut or threaded knob.

raise pole, tighten screw.

untighten screw, lower pole...

with the threaded option above you'll ware out the wiring by twisting it all the time...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.