Plug and Play for turn signals

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I used the search option before anyone says anything, and yes I know there's plug and play for headlights and taillights. I was wondering if anyone knows of a plug and play kit designed for the turn signals in a vehicle. A buddy of mine in my department just had one put in his car and the way it works is you have to turn the hazards on and to operate the wig-wag flip the turn signal up. The hazards operate normally and there is no interruption in any other operations. However, the one he got was specifically designed for Subaru apparently, so I was just wondering if anyone knows of a universal one or if there are universal plug and play HLFs that may work for it as well.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
sooooo let me get this straight, he has to activate his hazards to use his HLF? sorry but I like having functioning turn signals when responding.

maybe I'm reading it wrong. can your clarify for us?

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
I'm relatively certain it's illegal to put the turn signals on a wig-wag system, and I'm 100% certain it's idiotic. You should be using your turn signals, even when responding with L&S.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Leave the turn signals alone.

Side note: I hate when I see people responding with their hazards on. I know that's not what your saying but I just thought about that.

SHOF

Mar 10, 2013
IN
Storm4200 said:

Side note: I hate when I see people responding with their hazards on. I know that's not what your saying but I just thought about that.

+1

I actually just saw this yesterday and the guy was driving like a maniac. Makes me wish I was in my commission as this only happens when I'm off duty.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
foxtrot5 said:
sooooo let me get this straight, he has to activate his hazards to use his HLF? sorry but I like having functioning turn signals when responding.

maybe I'm reading it wrong. can your clarify for us?

Storm4200 said:

The way the system works is turn the hazards on and they operate normally, then flip the turn signal up and they alternate. It's apparently a plug and play system designed for turn signals only. I too hate when people respond with their hazards on; I may turn them on once at the scene if I drive to it but always use my turn signals when responding.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I still don't like the idea much... but if not used while responding it's a bit more tolerable.

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
efdny2003 said:
The way the system works is turn the hazards on and they operate normally, then flip the turn signal up and they alternate. It's apparently a plug and play system designed for turn signals only. I too hate when people respond with their hazards on; I may turn them on once at the scene if I drive to it but always use my turn signals when responding.

As others have said, this is a bad idea for response. The other vehicles on the road have no idea if you're turning, going straight, or what. If I'm behind a car and his left then his right turn signal keep flashing, I'm going to think he's either drunk, or....well.....special. I can see a use for it on scene, but even then not so much. Most vehicles have pretty small turn signals, you can get a much more attention grabbing footprint by using a HLF or Traffic Backer. Honestly, it sounds a bit "gimmicky" to me. That said....where's the video? lol

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
FatherOfFour said:
As others have said, this is a bad idea for response. The other vehicles on the road have no idea if you're turning, going straight, or what. If I'm behind a car and his left then his right turn signal keep flashing, I'm going to think he's either drunk, or....well.....special. I can see a use for it on scene, but even then not so much. Most vehicles have pretty small turn signals, you can get a much more attention grabbing footprint by using a HLF or Traffic Backer. Honestly, it sounds a bit "gimmicky" to me. That said....where's the video? lol

It does and it's probably something designed more for car shows like a lot of stuff i.e. novelty sirens and such. I may be looking into a traffic bar but it would have to be fairly small because the real estate in the back of my car is fairly limited, and I already have two Feniex Pythons on the deck. I've thought about adding HAWs/LAWs but don't really want to drill into the light housings so I'm thinking of ways to add a little more but non-invasive. I don't have a video of it as he showed me the other day real quick and I didn't think about it. I am finally working on adding videos to my install thread however with what I currently have.

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
efdny2003 said:
It does and it's probably something designed more for car shows like a lot of stuff i.e. novelty sirens and such. I may be looking into a traffic bar but it would have to be fairly small because the real estate in the back of my car is fairly limited, and I already have two Feniex Pythons on the deck. I've thought about adding HAWs/LAWs but don't really want to drill into the light housings so I'm thinking of ways to add a little more but non-invasive. I don't have a video of it as he showed me the other day real quick and I didn't think about it. I am finally working on adding videos to my install thread however with what I currently have.

Get a Traffic Backer (Like a HLF for the taillights) if you want to add something else to the rear. Another option would be a set of grill lights on a plate bracket. I run a set of Feniex T6s on my plate bracket and they're bright as sin! I understand not wanting to drill into your tailight casings, but really, it's not that hard in 99% of cases and if you ever need to uninstall a simple body trim grommet with the peg trimmed off can be siliconed over the hole to re-seal the casing. The Feniex Cannons are an amazing option.

What kind of vehicle are you working with?

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
FatherOfFour said:
Get a Traffic Backer (Like a HLF for the taillights) if you want to add something else to the rear. Another option would be a set of grill lights on a plate bracket. I run a set of Feniex T6s on my plate bracket and they're bright as sin! I understand not wanting to drill into your tailight casings, but really, it's not that hard in 99% of cases and if you ever need to uninstall a simple body trim grommet with the peg trimmed off can be siliconed over the hole to re-seal the casing. The Feniex Cannons are an amazing option.
What kind of vehicle are you working with?

My car is a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. I've thought about grill lights mounted on an LP bracket but still not sure. Most of my lighting even though you can see them aren't obvious that they're there.

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
efdny2003 said:
My car is a 2011 Hyundai Elantra. I've thought about grill lights mounted on an LP bracket but still not sure. Most of my lighting even though you can see them aren't obvious that they're there.

Just looking at some google images, I'd think those clear sections that are actually on the trunk lid would be a great place for some Cannons. But like I said, that's just a quick glance.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
FatherOfFour said:
Just looking at some google images, I'd think those clear sections that are actually on the trunk lid would be a great place for some Cannons. But like I said, that's just a quick glance.

The rear of the Elantra is actually perfect for what I had planned keeping in line with the blue/amber, and putting blue in the reverse light housing(ones on trunk lid) and amber in the turn signal housing(ones on main body of car). Again I'm still not sure if I want to drill into the housing or not.

FatherOfFour

Nov 4, 2012
Indiana
efdny2003 said:
The rear of the Elantra is actually perfect for what I had planned keeping in line with the blue/amber, and putting blue in the reverse light housing(ones on trunk lid) and amber in the turn signal housing(ones on main body of car). Again I'm still not sure if I want to drill into the housing or not.

Blue/Amber Cannons....just doooo it lol. In all seriousness, I get the not wanting to drill the car idea. At the end of the day, you're the one that has to drive it, so you're the one that has to be happy with the set up!

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
EMT-BLS said:
I'm relatively certain it's illegal to put the turn signals on a wig-wag system, and I'm 100% certain it's idiotic. You should be using your turn signals, even when responding with L&S.

My state requires it.... not like anyone follows it though... well they still use their 4ways, but that's out of choice......

:suicide:

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
FatherOfFour said:
Blue/Amber Cannons....just doooo it lol. In all seriousness, I get the not wanting to drill the car idea. At the end of the day, you're the one that has to drive it, so you're the one that has to be happy with the set up!

Irsh42 said:
My state requires it.... not like anyone follows it though... well they still use their 4ways, but that's out of choice......

:suicide:

I've been strongly considering if just to add a little bit more and then be done with the set up(for now). Still flipping that coin saying one more time. I've stated several times that I use my turn signals when responding to signify if I'm turning left or right, and something like this would be used only at scene which would be in my opinion no different then turning the hazards on once on scene.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
OK, so I'm probably going to get a license plate intersection mount for up front(obviously). I currently have Whelen TIR3s mounted on my front bumper in the fog light slots, and am probably going to get fog lights so it's time for these to move. The big question is, what would be the best light for this mount? Would the TIR3s work or should I look into something different?

Dodgemaster21

May 29, 2013
Toano, VA
You could get some feniex cannon dual color make amber the primary and the flash pattern secondary and when your responding your turn signal will activate and overide the flash pattern on that side and then return to flashing when done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.