Point Blank Alpha Elite

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
Soooo....I'm in the market for a vest. I'm a posseman with the Maricopa County Sheriff and I'm completing my firearms training this weekend, so I'm looking at vests. I'm carrying 9mm, but I'm going to purchase a level IIIA. I've always heard good things about point blank, and it appears they've got this new deal, the Alpha Elite. They appear to have devoted their entire website to it at this point, as every link on their site directs to the PR dog and pony show about how awesome it is. That's fine, but now I can't get many specs about the rest of their products. I'm looking at the C-Series and Hi-lite mostly as they seem to be the most common. I'm not opposed to the Alpha Elite, as the weight savings is a great benefit, but I do want to preserve the ability to put the vest into an outer carrier on occasion (such as the Gresham carrier ). I can't find anywhere where it says that the Alpha Elite is compatible with any of PB's outer carriers except for the new Alpha 1, which is definitely overkill for my needs. Any info from people in the know would be appreciated.

Chris

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
AZEMT said:
I'm carrying 9mm, but I'm going to purchase a level IIIA.

So, I have to wonder... what does the caliber you're carrying have to do with the level of armor you're selecting, unless you're intending to either shoot yourself to test out your new vest or let someone shoot you with your own weapon?

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
tvsjr said:
So, I have to wonder... what does the caliber you're carrying have to do with the level of armor you're selecting, unless you're intending to either shoot yourself to test out your new vest or let someone shoot you with your own weapon?

Well, you don't want to carry something that will defeat whatever level of armor you're wearing for starters...

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
The rule of thumb I've always been told by everyone at MCSO is that you need to wear at a minimum a vest that is rated to stop the round you are carrying, because that round is always present in every confrontation and you're statistically more likely to be shot with it. For 9mm, that would be Level II armor. I don't feel that's adequate protection so I was just clarifying that I want a level IIIA vest no matter what, because I feel more comfortable being reasonably protected against all typical handgun rounds.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
tvsjr said:

AZEMT said:
The rule of thumb I've always been told by everyone at MCSO is that you need to wear at a minimum a vest that is rated to stop the round you are carrying, because that round is always present in every confrontation and you're statistically more likely to be shot with it. For 9mm, that would be Level II armor. I don't feel that's adequate protection so I was just clarifying that I want a level IIIA vest no matter what, because I feel more comfortable being reasonably protected against all typical handgun rounds.

As he said, every scene, every call for service, every incident you're at, there's at LEAST 1 gun there...... yours. If it's taken away from you, and by some miracle the DB shoots you in the vest, rather then the head, you want your vest to be able to stop it.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
bail bondsman? recovery agent?

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
kitn1mcc said:
what is a Posseman any way

From what i gather, it's like a reserve officer program.

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
The posse program is kind of unique to AZ and other western states I think. Maricopa County makes liberal use of it. Under the AZ Constitution, a county sheriff can call upon any citizen to assist them (think old west stuff). When this is done, the citizen has police powers for that specific task as directed. The posse formalizes that. We go through an application process including criminal history, fingerprints, etc. We wear the same uniform as a deputy, except the badge says posse instead of deputy sheriff. We are civilians, but when directed by a sworn deputy sheriff, we have the same authority as a peace officer by law only for the activity authorized at that time. Off duty we have no peace officer status or authority. MCSO also has reserve deputies that are full authority peace officers.

MCSO has established a training program that allows us to carry OC, handcuffs, baton, Taser, and even firearms if we can shoot the same course of fire as a peace officer with a passing score.

Possemen assist deputies by riding as a second man in a unit, doing prisoner transports, traffic control, etc.

My unit, medical rescue, assists deputies in the Lake Patrol division of MCSO, on the chain of lakes outside Phoenix created by the damming of the Salt River. We provide EMS first response as well since fire dept response times are extended in the area, from 15 mins to 1 hour depending on location.

Hope that helps clarify.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
AZEMT said:
The posse program is kind of unique to AZ and other western states I think. Maricopa County makes liberal use of it. Under the AZ Constitution, a county sheriff can call upon any citizen to assist them (think old west stuff). When this is done, the citizen has police powers for that specific task as directed. The posse formalizes that. We go through an application process including criminal history, fingerprints, etc. We wear the same uniform as a deputy, except the badge says posse instead of deputy sheriff. We are civilians, but when directed by a sworn deputy sheriff, we have the same authority as a peace officer by law only for the activity authorized at that time. Off duty we have no peace officer status or authority. MCSO also has reserve deputies that are full authority peace officers.

MCSO has established a training program that allows us to carry OC, handcuffs, baton, Taser, and even firearms if we can shoot the same course of fire as a peace officer with a passing score.

Possemen assist deputies by riding as a second man in a unit, doing prisoner transports, traffic control, etc.

My unit, medical rescue, assists deputies in the Lake Patrol division of MCSO, on the chain of lakes outside Phoenix created by the damming of the Salt River. We provide EMS first response as well since fire dept response times are extended in the area, from 15 mins to 1 hour depending on location.

Hope that helps clarify.

I can do that here in TEXAS also I usually deputies my ride alongs they get a vest and a pistol.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
kitn1mcc said:
when i hear posse and Maricopa County all kinds of nasty things pop into my mind.

In my mind, I think what the entire Maricopa County Sheriff's Office staff does is 1st class and should set the example for other sheriff offices to follow.

I much prefer to live in a county, with a pro-active sheriff and staff (and there are many besides Maricopa County), where fear is put into the heart of the criminals and the non-offender residents get as much protection and service as possible, than one who's chief LEO chooses the least difficult path or provides only minimum services even when increased service could be provided, using the current resources available, if the sheriff chose to do so

OP buy a vest that stops the ammunition you and your partners carry. If at all possible - try it on and make sure of the wearabilty factor. Some vests in the same level of protection are much easier to wear than others. I prefer my over-the-uniform shirt carrier that holds my ballistic panels in a carrier that looks almost identical to my uniform shirt.

Once you get your vest - WEAR IT ALWAYS. Do not try and outguess your risk. Just WEAR IT!

Last edited by a moderator:

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
kitn1mcc said:
when i hear posse and Maricopa County all kinds of nasty things pop into my mind.

Sheriff Arpaio is a polarizing figure. I can tell you from experience there are deputies (and possemen) that share his outlook, but there are also those who do not. I won't state my personal politics or opinion of the Sheriff but I will say that I think regardless of your views on Arpaio the posse program is a very unique way to serve the community and I enjoy it a lot. I wear the uniform, too, and have been called plenty of nasty things by people who have no idea who I am or what I stand for personally, but that's not why I volunteer. The day to day work of a Deputy Sheriff that I have observed has remarkably little to do with the political motives of the Sheriff. My "real" job has nothing to do with law enforcement, but I have always had an interest in public safety. In a metropolitan area like Phoenix dominated by career fire departments and where volunteer fire departments, rescue squads, etc. are not available, the posse provides good training and hands on, real-world experience in public safety and in my case, even EMS. If you respect the uniform and take it seriously, the deputies treat you like a member of the family and you get to do a lot of really cool stuff. If you're a gung-ho wannabe that makes them feel unsafe, then suddenly they aren't as friendly and it's kinda hard to find stuff to do.

mcgourtymd

May 20, 2010
Cincinnati, OH, USA
AZEMT:

I was in a position like you and after much research I went with the Point Blank Vision series Level II along with the Special Threats Plate. I wore that for a year and absolutely loved it. It was very comfortable and seemed to fit without the typical "break in" period straight from the box. As I understand, the Vision will transition over to an external carrier such as the Gresham. (FYI, the carrier for the Vision accepts Special Threat Plates in both the front and rear carrier panels.) After only having it for a year I went full time and my department issued me a Survival Armor Level II vest. I am also happy with the Survival Armor vest in terms of comfort.

Matthew

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
Sorry to bump an older thread but for any of those interested, after the PR blitz subsided, Point Blank's catalog came back online, and, upon consulting it, it says the Alpha Elite panels will fit into all of their previously available outer carriers. Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.