Police dog locked in hot vehicle for three hours causes outrage (vancouversun.com)

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
HAHA i thought this was quite funny:

"I said 'I have a dying dog,' and I asked if I could get into the car, but the girl said 'the dog will kill you,' " said Seymonsbergen

Read more: Police dog locked in hot vehicle for three hours causes outrage

Now..back on topic...I dont see the big deal. The dog was fine, the officer opened the windows and had a bucket of water inside. I think this was a case of people trying to act like heros. the dog was probably barking because people were sticking their F**KING faces into the windows and spraying the car with water.

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
I don't know. The article was VERY biased in the way it was written, but I also believe that the dog shouldn't have been in the car that long unattended. I mean, when a K9 Dog/Handler team are on patrol, they are together.

I'mabeast

Apr 5, 2011
Massillon, Ohio
Yes, the handler and dog are suppose to be together on patrol, but the handler should have training on how to care for the dog properly. A dog can suffer from permanent brain damage and or possible death when the temp goes up, outside and inside of a vehicle.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
If that happened here locally that LEO /K9 officer would have been reprimanded for certain.Think of leaving your human LEO partner in the same predicament? The dog is obedient and unlike a human would not punch the dumbass in the face when he came back after going for a boatride for 3 hours.

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
The article doesn't have enough information to make a determination one way or another...

...but I have seen K9 setups which include:

Window fans for the dog.

Personal alarms for the human officer if the temperature rises above a certain point.

Automatic car starters that turn on the AC to cool down the interior on their own.

And yet I have still heard stories of people freaking out about K9 officers being left in cruisers. (Usually all it takes is a little education and the civilian calms down once they understand exactly how great the dog has it.)

Of course, I'm not sure whether or not the vehicle in the story was equipped with any of these items... but who knows.

And as stated earlier, if I were the dog I would be barking my head off too if people kept coming over and poking around my cruiser.

;)

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
If the weather didn't change to much in this area, today it's about 60 degrees with some clouds.

But it might be different and be hotter, but portably not colder that day.

redhawk_six

Dec 25, 2010
BC Canada/Lynden WASH
First off, the article contains very little useful info. You have to question the intent of the author of that article, more info was certainly available on the date it was written. The RCMP press release and the global news story were written the same day as the above article, and contain much more information. It should also be pointed out that the local media in BC often has an anti-law enforcement bias.

That being said, the officer in question in this case is now under investigation.

No harm came to the dog, and it certainly wasn't 'dying' as the article made it sound.

Police Dog Safety Taken Seriously

RCMP: officer

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
redhawk_six said:
First off, the article contains very little useful info. You have to question the intent of the author of that article, more info was certainly available on the date it was written. The RCMP press release and the global news story were written the same day as the above article, and contain much more information. It should also be pointed out that the local media in BC often has an anti-law enforcement bias.

That being said, the officer in question in this case is now under investigation.

No harm came to the dog, and it certainly wasn't 'dying' as the article made it sound.

Police Dog Safety Taken Seriously

RCMP: officer

Yeah but this here is the important part:

“We say it so often to people as police officers and as figures of authority in the community, we often remind people to not leave their dog in a vehicle. It puts us in a very awkward position when it’s happened with one of our officers.”

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I dont care what anyone has to say about it.

You dont leave a living being, dog, or baby, or person, in a car in the heat.

If you think its ok, go sit in a car with the window rolled down, and bottle of water, and wearing one of SPERMC's german coats, and tell me its alright after 1 hour.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
HILO said:
I dont care what anyone has to say about it.

You dont leave a living being, dog, or baby, or person, in a car in the heat.

If you think its ok, go sit in a car with the window rolled down, and bottle of water, and wearing one of SPERMC's german coats, and tell me its alright after 1 hour.

Show me, were I said it's ok to do so?

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
SPMRC said:
Show me, were I said it's ok to do so?

Show me where anyone said you did say it was ok to to do...take it easy sugar puff, just becasue your paranoid doesnt mean I'm not out to get you.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
SPMRC said:
Hey pussy cat, why don't you stay with the topic?

I was topic and you came and grabbed my dong. With out buying me dinner. No bueno.

at0_gstatic_com_images_35459dcf1263453af2c7a535bf805100._.jpg

German car!

BUFFaLOT

Sep 24, 2010
Long Island, NY
SPMRC said:
If the weather didn't change to much in this area, today it's about 60 degrees with some clouds.

It was only 60 degrees with the windows of the cruiser open 3"! How hot could it have been? Comfortable at worst!

I have to walk a foot-post in the concrete jungle in 95+ degrees with a vest and a hat for 8 hours. I'd say this dog has it made.

cory y

May 21, 2010
SPMRC said:

In this area? What area are you talking about exactly?

It hasnt been 60 in Lubbock, TX as you CLAIM to be in at least 3 Months

so trollboy where are you at?

Donslock

Dec 18, 2010
USA, South Dakota
BUFFaLOT said:
It was only 60 degrees with the windows of the cruiser open 3"! How hot could it have been? Comfortable at worst!

I have to walk a foot-post in the concrete jungle in 95+ degrees with a vest and a hat for 8 hours. I'd say this dog has it made.

It only takes about 20 minutes for the temp in a locked vehicle to go from 72 degrees to 120 degrees. This will cook your brain in an hour. Don Myhre

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Donslock said:
It only takes about 20 minutes for the temp in a locked vehicle to go from 72 degrees to 120 degrees. This will cook your brain in an hour. Don Myhre

This is true... unless we're talking about a K9 vehicle here. SUV have a higher surface/area (surface=exposed to direct sunlight) ratio, which would increase the time. CVPI/Charger also are higher than the average subcompact.

And then there is the fact that those numbers are exclusively applied to scenarios where the car is completely shut, borderline airtight. I have yet to see a K9 vehicle that does not have barred open windows, let alone a fan.

I wish I could sleep next to a fan with my balls up in the air too...

But in all seriousness, this shouldn't have happened. I imagine it was hot in vancouver, and the windows were only open 3 inches. Could have been worse, should have been better.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
umm don just fyi

several seconds at temps above 106 degrees will turn you into a vegetable.

at 120 your dead....

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jarred J. said:
umm don just fyi

at 120 your dead....

I do believe that's internal body temperature...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
yes and external temperatures affect internal temperatures :)

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
Jarred J. said:
yes and external temperatures affect internal temperatures :)

I've been outside in 110 degree weather, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm pretty sure I experienced no brain damage, let alone becoming a vegetable...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok so ill put you in a car locked in there for 3 hours at 140 degrees and ill ask you if your not dead how you feel then..... :undecided:

external temperature affects internal temperatures....

hot = heat stroke

cold = hypothermia

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
andrewsim said:
I've been outside in 110 degree weather, I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm pretty sure I experienced no brain damage, let alone becoming a vegetable...

110 degrees? We call that: SUMMER

That said: while I may subject myself to be outside in these temps, I make my dogs all go inside into the A/C about 11 AM everyday.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
Jarred J. said:
umm don just fyi

We had several days around 110 and above.

At some point I think we hit the 120 and as far as I know, we had no veggies or dead people in the area.

And I saw the road works out there when it was so hot.

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
I have a K9 and she stays outside in a concrete pen with a cover on it and she is fine and finds dope everyday.... If it was 60 degrees in the middle of the day that means it's not going to get any hotter outside. If the temp was at 60 I think the dog would've been just fine. now.... On the other hand I don't agree with leaving it over a long amount of time.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Your welcome.

People are forgetting that we, as humans (and I question some) can sweat. Dogs cannot in the same maner. They pant, and do sweat from their paw pads. So while you might be able to benifit from a slight breeze at 110 degrees, a dog cannot. 60 is a gret temp. However, a car is like an over. The glass draws teh heat in, and the roof does not reflect no matter what color the car is. 60 can quickly feel like 80 under the sun. Think about driving 5 hours in the mid 60's, after an hour, the heat from the sun makes the inside of the car hot, and usually you have to turn on the ac, or at least the vents. With a fur coat, and no breee, or way to move fast enough to cool your self, 60 gets warm fast.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RetLt2020

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.