Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
In the event we as a community would like to give a momentary donation, where would we like to see the money go? In some instances it will probably be an easy decision ( OK = Moore FD ) but on larger events (Sandy) it may not be practical to send it to just one company/department. Also please state HOW we would like to donate ( send cash/check, paypal, etc)

Please limit your response to what agency and how you would like to donate

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
My vote was for the Red Cross, if we cant give directly to a department. Paypal is my preferred method of payment

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Sounds like a good idea to me.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
I'm just wondering out loud...Why not make it a case-by-case situation? Like, right now, I'd rather give directly to the Moore FD, as opposed to the Red Cross...more often than not, the towns and cities that have been affected will set up a fund, and the town itself will get to spend the money as they see fit. I haven't got anything against the Red Cross, I would just rather the town get to choose what happens with the funds/items.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well for one thing the Moore FD. should get a lot of their stuff taken care of by the insurance co. and there's a lot of folks who have little to no insurance to cover the belongs that they lost.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
EMT-BLS said:
I'm just wondering out loud...Why not make it a case-by-case situation? Like, right now, I'd rather give directly to the Moore FD, as opposed to the Red Cross...more often than not, the towns and cities that have been affected will set up a fund, and the town itself will get to spend the money as they see fit. I haven't got anything against the Red Cross, I would just rather the town get to choose what happens with the funds/items.

As a whole, it probably will be a case by case basis. However, each case will be the choice of either a department, or a cause. Since as you stated, a department either will be pretty well covered by insurance, OR on a broader scale, it may not be practical or fair to send it to a single department.

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Phoenix_Rising said:
As a whole, it probably will be a case by case basis. However, each case will be the choice of either a department, or a cause. Since as you stated, a department either will be pretty well covered by insurance, OR on a broader scale, it may not be practical or fair to send it to a single department.

I was not recommending that the funds get sent to a department, I was saying, if the two sets up a fund (like most do), it should be sent there. That way the township has the money at their disposal, and can purchase what they need directly.

BigWil

May 22, 2010
Ontario
I would say that a local, reliable victim fund receive the donations, wired directly to the fund. Specifically, whatever fund that receives funds should be administered by reliable people. I'd rather not see the donation just going into the black hole that is national agencies like Red Cross, etc.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Good feedback so far, see some votes coming in without a response though. You folks are going to be the heart of this, your inout is needed. Still no replies on how people would like to make these donations. I appreciate and value everyones input so far :thumbsup:

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Phoenix_Rising said:
Good feedback so far, see some votes coming in without a response though. You folks are going to be the heart of this, your inout is needed. Still no replies on how people would like to make these donations. I appreciate and value everyones input so far :thumbsup:

How about a temporary holding account.With about 3 Signitures needed to withdraw it.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I would say it totally depends but I prefer an organization that's very transparent regarding what they do with the donations. As an example I've posted the BTLS Foundation which is run by Radio Host Bubba the Love Sponge. He posts the tax information of his organization every year and makes it very clear that unlike some places, he uses a VERY LARGE portion of the donation to go to the cause instead of covering "overhead."

Financial Information||transparent and open

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Phoenix_Rising said:

I voted and have not made a response post. I have several things to say and ask but they are not within the parameters set by the opening post:

"Please limit your response to what agency and how you would like to donate"

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Retired1 said:
I voted and have not made a response post. I have several things to say and ask but they are not within the parameters set by the opening post:

"Please limit your response to what agency and how you would like to donate"

Floor's yours Chief, by all means, fire away. ( I thank you kindly to abiding by ettiquette)

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Thank you, Dave for modifying the thread so I can post this.

I voted for the Salvation Army as I believe that more of the money donated goes to the local distribution level than with the other options.

That said, I am totally opposed to blanket contributions as a group. There was no option for this on the poll. I would have voted in opposition if this were an option. I much prefer to make my donations directly to the recipient I believe is in need or will use my donation as I intend it to be used.

I will likely not join in any group donation, but I may. So, if I do, here are some questions I have:

Where is the money going to come from - my donations that I intended to keep ELB running? I hope not.

If the money is going to be collected (not the money donated to keep ELB operational) from the membership on a case by case determination, who is going to make the decision to collect funds?

Who is going to be the person holding the money in escrow until the decision is made that it is time to deliver it?

Who is going to make the decision to disburse the funds collected?

Will the funds go to a national headquarters or a local agency serving the individual disaster?

Will collections be made for an individual in need, a small local group in need, or a LODD?

If so, who will make those decisions and hold the funds until disbursed?

I have some other thoughts on this topic, but I will stop here as they are near redundant.

Terry

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Retired1 said:
Thank you, Dave for modifying the thread so I can post this.

I voted for the Salvation Army as I believe that more of the money donated goes to the local distribution level than with the other options.

That said, I am totally opposed to blanket contributions as a group. There was no option for this on the poll. I would have voted in opposition if this were an option. I much prefer to make my donations directly to the recipient I believe is in need or will use my donation as I intend it to be used.

I will likely not join in any group donation, but I may. So, if I do, here are some questions I have:

Where is the money going to come from - my donations that I intended to keep ELB running? I hope not.

If the money is going to be collected (not the money donated to keep ELB operational) from the membership on a case by case determination, who is going to make the decision to collect funds?

Who is going to be the person holding the money in escrow until the decision is made that it is time to deliver it?

Who is going to make the decision to disburse the funds collected?

Will the funds go to a national headquarters or a local agency serving the individual disaster?

Will collections be made for an individual in need, a small local group in need, or a LODD?

If so, who will make those decisions and hold the funds until disbursed?

I have some other thoughts on this topic, but I will stop here as they are near redundant.

Terry

Very valid points. Nothing is anything close to being considered set in stone. Part of the idea behind the main thread ( http://elightbars.org/forums/f104/elightbars-org-official-care-packages-thoughts-opinions-wanted-50234/ ) is to get ideas or exact thoughts on HOW people wish to donate, should they feel so inclined. Whereas this thread, was geared towards exactly where/how they would like to see money go should they feel inclined ( which is why "opposed" wasn't one of the poll options, if you're opposed, it IS your money and your perogative, by all means don't participate [corallary, this isnt directed at anyone/chief, just a general statement] )

This again all falls back to needing/wanting user's input and thoughts on these ideas. Of the 10,480 members on the site, a mere 50 have viewed this thread. Of those 50, only 25 participated in the poll.

If anyone has thoughts or ideas as to how we'd like to donate financially, please by all means, whether you've voted or not, speak now. Chief brings up an excellent idea ( intentionally or not ) of simply posting the addresses of local companies in the area of a disaster; ie for the Moore Tornado as follows

Moore FD: address

Moore Red Cross: address

Moore Hospital and Childrens Home: address

etc etc

This way members dont have to feel concerned over who is holding the money or they want to give, but the group "voted" for Red Cross but they dont like Red Cross so maybe I wont donate now, etc.......

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I am apposed to making any blanket decision on donating money. If someone wants to start a thread for a specific cause, I will evaluate each thread on a case by case basis. I don't think we should be making a general decision on fund raising revenue allocation at all.

Raising money for a charity really should only even be carried out here ift here is a specific goal or intended recipient first.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
JohnMarcson said:
I am apposed to making any blanket decision on donating money. If someone wants to start a thread for a specific cause, I will evaluate each thread on a case by case basis. I don't think we should be making a general decision on fund raising revenue allocation at all.

Raising money for a charity really should only even be carried out here ift here is a specific goal or intended recipient first.

It was the intent to have a specific goal or recipient as the need arose. As far as the first part of that, not sure I understand, so PM on the way

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Phoenix_Rising said:
It was the intent to have a specific goal or recipient as the need arose. As far as the first part of that, not sure I understand, so PM on the way

It sounds like you are trying to get decision to always give money to one charity as a default. From the other replies here it looks like people all got that impression. I don;t want a default site charity, that's all.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
JohnMarcson said:
It sounds like you are trying to get decision to always give money to one charity as a default. From the other replies here it looks like people all got that impression. I don;t want a default site charity, that's all.

The idea of this particular thread/poll was a quasi-default. Every time an event happens, large or small, it will be on a case by case basis.

By quasi-default: Moore tornado happens tomorrow, we open a thread for it, and say "ok, so those that voted opt for the Red Cross, are we sending money there or no?".....members then say yay or nay, or ideas otherwise.

Again, all of the questions I pose are more geared as "feelers". When I started this endeavor it was the idea of sending used lightbars and parts to fire companies affected by disasters. As discussed with John, I learned this is not the most feasible and practical idea. I apologize for any confusion that the poll causes, I am doing nothing more than attempting to grasp how the sites members would best be willing and able to assist our brother/sister departments in their time of need.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I have not seen the other thread. I will look it up next week, when I am home.

My most important question remains unanswered: Is money donated to keep ELB/John with funds to help maintain ELB going to be used in any way to be given / donated to this endeavor?

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Retired1 said:
I have not seen the other thread. I will look it up next week, when I am home.

My most important question remains unanswered: Is money donated to keep ELB/John with funds to help maintain ELB going to be used in any way to be given / donated to this endeavor?

Absolutely not. Funds given for the site are independant of this and any and all other causes. Whereas donations for disasters will be on a case by case basis, seperate of one another.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Phoenix_Rising said:
Absolutely not. Funds given for the site are independant of this and any and all other causes. Whereas donations for disasters will be on a case by case basis, seperate of one another.

Thank you. That eliminates my concern about that.

Feb 4, 2012
Casper, Wyoming
It's easy to vote in a poll where any money should go, all it takes is a click of a mouse. I, for one, am willing to kick in funds with the understanding that said gift may or may not go to the first choice I would have made. Perhaps the people that actually donate can make a final vote on the recipient of collected funds, most votes wins, no hard feelings. It's a hand up to someone that needs help, not our life savings.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.