possibly getting a aerodynic lightbar and need help

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
hey everybody i need some help.As you can tell by the title i am possibly getting a FS aerodynic lightbar from a buddy of mine. this bar has a rotator light system in it obv. for it being an older version of the bar. i wanna update it to LED and i have no idea where to start. this is where you guys and gals come in to help me. i went on FS website and i maybe blind but i didnt see the light system they are now using in there new version of the bar AeroDynic Lightbar - Lightbars | Federal Signal that is the link. i dont have to use FS product but i wanna put something in it that is gonna last and fit at the same time. i also need to get clear domes, the ones on it now are colored. Any help would be great thanks.

timmy

Sep 9, 2012
Southern California
is what you are basically asking to do is to replace the guts of an old aero with new led technology....? if that is what you want, i am not sure you will like the cost you will encounter buying the internal parts from federal signal. in the car world an analogy would be to be given a 1985 corvette (really nice car in its day), gutting it leaving only the shell, and attempting to put the workings of a 2013 corvette into that shell. the aero in it's day was a GREAT bar but it doesn't appear to be a very good bar in the new LED configuration that federal signal sells. i don't understand why they tried to keep the aero shape and make it into a led bar - it just doesn't make a lot of sense. i have worked on a whole bunch of aero's and what you are suggesting seems like brain surgery where the only one that benefits is the hospital - the patient may survive but will never be the same again. federal signal would probably love to sell you the stuff you need but in the end the bar you would have would have cost about four times as much as the kludge equivalent bar they offer for sale. they might not even sell you the parts, who knows.

if you gut the bar, i would be interested in buying the parts you have left over. i believe you can buy the domes you want from federal signal but they are expensive.

timmy

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
oh ok. i was pretty leary of purchasing it anyway due to me wanting to convert it into led. i didnt know what i was going to encounter so that why i paoted something on here first.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
jonny521 said:
oh ok. i was pretty leary of purchasing it anyway due to me wanting to convert it into led. i didnt know what i was going to encounter so that why i paoted something on here first.

Be glad you didn't post this in the Vintage area. Depending what model it is some people might want to skin you for upconverting an old Aero into LED!! :nono:

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
EHFD_Tower_751 said:
just throwing this out to you, but why not find a shell of a lightbar and convert THAT into an LED bar??

im sure someone might have one

i already started another thread on that

jonny521

May 23, 2010
mass
Zapp Brannigan said:
Be glad you didn't post this in the Vintage area. Depending what model it is some people might want to skin you for upconverting an old Aero into LED!! :nono:

then they should start with the people who decided to put LED pods in the bar from fed sig directly

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I'd still like to see rotating LEDs in a straight bar like the aerodynic, particularly a chain driven/synchronized bar

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
jonny521 said:
then they should start with the people who decided to put LED pods in the bar from fed sig directly

Thats not the same as taking an original Aero thats rare and gutting it. Federal Signal did not convert those, they made whole new bars.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.