Preferred lighting set up on emergency vehicles over years: Open ended

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I've been curious what people would have purchased and used on emergency vehicles if they had been heading a fleet of rescue and or law enforcement vehicles.

To start off on an fire apparatus:

Open cab days I'm going Red Federal Model 17. Early closed cabs in the 70s I probably will stick with 17x but may upgrade to 184s, maybe two of them on the roof. By the time we get to the 80s I may go the route my municipality went which was Whelen 994s, though I would have had them all red. I'm a big fan of those beacons. And like my municipality did in the 90s I probably will also go independent Aerodynic. I probably would stick with it longer into the 2000s rather then go Edge, the strobes just didn't fit right to me on a big fire truck. I would move to Freedoms from mid 2000s on through probably with colored lenses.

Battalions would usually get similar set ups to the apparatuses. Single beacon expecially a 184 would work just find though I would consider Visibar. In the 80s I may have a crossbar or an base 80h or something like that. They'll might get independent Aerodynics in the 90s before going to the freedom bars.

Police:

Not sure about 50s or 60s but by the late 60s going into the 70s I would be using some sort of crossbar, probably a Visibar. B/C I would to mix thing up from standard CT ways of doing things and I like steady red there would be a red unity light on it between one of the beacons and the CP-25 speaker. Either that or having a model standard model 17 on passenger side and a model 17-C on driver. During the 70s many agencies went to Whelen strobe crossbars, my city being on of them. I may have experimented with it on a few cars with the red steady spotlight of course, but I think I would have stayed incandescent longer. I would have the Visibar on the cars but may transition on to Whelen Crossbars with 88x series beacons, probably 884s. mainly I like the profile of those beacons being lightweight but having more than two bulbs. They may or may not be in blue as a trend in this time saw a lot of blue lights in CT, but the red steady red spotlight stays no matter what. Crossbars or Visibars stay in place well into the 80s, it's very probable that some of the newer crossbars get 99x beacons. Mid 80s I'll probably experiment with enclosed bars either 80-90hs or Aerodynics. The Whelen would have to have the California set up, and an Aerodynic would be a Cal style with the steady Red and Blue PAR 36 and rear duel flash ambers. I probably would transition to Aerodynics with Whelen Crossbars possibly straggling on with a few cars. By the time we get to the end of the 80s I defiantly would be trying out some Edge bars with of course the California lights (steady red on driver and steady blue on passenger, duel ambers in the rear). For me the steady lights really fit well on strobe bars, give more consistent light. It is possible to see some LASD style Jetsonic's too, but I think Aerodynics stay on most cars in the fleet until the early 90s, in fact some aero Caprices may even have some. By mid 90s it's probably all Edge with possible Advantedge's but I think it'll be all turbo tube 9000s with the California set up well into the 2000s before eventually falling the way to Edge Ultras and finally Freedoms. Currently it would probably be not much different than what my city uses now, the Liberty II though expect a steady red LED on somewhere all the time.

EMS:

Easy. Twinsonics on Type II's followed by Aerodynic and or Aerotwinsonics before going the way of Advantedge pluses.

Alright what ideas do others have.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.