Premium vision problems

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
I am in the process of fixing a fed sig Premium vision vector. The owner is having some issues with the bar. I dug into it and figured it hand to be the boards inside as some of the rotators weren't working at all. I found a set of boards on here so I bought them. I installed the new/used boards, now when I turn power on to the bar all of the rotator indicators are steady red on the controller. I am also getting a alert type sound from the control head. I hooked up the boards up the same way as the other ones were. Anyone with experience with these please chime in.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
That is the bulb out warning. Make sure that thing is getting good clean power, and you plugged everything in right. That bar can be a bear. Also, It will draw around 40 amps on start up and if you are not getting that, the system will wig out.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Even with just turning power on to the controller and bar? I am not turning the slide switch on or anything. I am running it off a jump box.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Even with just turning power on to the controller and bar? I am not turning the slide switch on or anything. I am running it off a jump box.

Correct. As soon as you put power to the amp, that is when the bar goes through its diagnostic mode. Example, when you start up the vehicle, that is when the system goes through its check mode.

I think you have a connection on the board (s) that is not seated properly.

Also "jump box" that's not good. That could be your problem right there. You need at least 40 amps to properly power up the bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Thanks for your help so far. I will charge the box and give it a try this weekend. I will let you know what I find.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Thanks for your help so far. I will charge the box and give it a try this weekend. I will let you know what I find.

Visions are some of the most finicky systems ever. I suggest a direct lead to running car's battery. A battery jump pack even if charged may be the issue.

May 22, 2010
New York City
that is likely the problem, never use a jump pack,

also if the boards in the bar do not match the boards in the brain, you got 1 big paperweight !

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
911 said:
also if the boards in the bar do not match the boards in the brain, you got 1 big paperweight !

Never thought of that. Is there a way to match the boards to the brain? Or is he better off giving it up and buying something else?

How does one tell is they will match or not?

May 22, 2010
New York City
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Never thought of that. Is there a way to match the boards to the brain? Or is he better off giving it up and buying something else?

How does one tell is they will match or not?

they should be marked with chip and rev #

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
911 said:
they should be marked with chip and rev #

That is NOT always the case. I have a vision with all 3 different rev chips, the keypad chip does not match the brain chip which does not match the bar chip and the system works flawlessly. It is the model numbers you have to watch for.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Basically visions are the hardest bar to get to work, so isolate your variables.

1-Power source

2-Brain/Control

3-Wiring

4-Bar

Power is the best one to eliminate. Use clean 12 vdc from a running (outside) car for the best results. Otherwise a regulated 50 amp dc power supply will set you back about $225.

The brain is the likely suspect. I am a pessimist, but I would never expect a vision to work without the controller it came with. There are some many variables with the controllers that I can rarely isolate a problem past the controller as a whole.

The wiring is easy to check, make sure you have the actual phone-style cable and note that a regular phone cord will not cut it.

The bar is rarely the problem and can be tricky to trouble shoot without a confirmed working brain. I would leave the bar as your last possible thing to rule out.

Keep in mind you're literally working with the most finicky lightbar ever made. It was groudbreaking and one of my all time favorites, but friendly to the used market buyer it was not.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
JohnMarcson said:
Keep in mind you're literally working with the most finicky lightbar ever made. It was groudbreaking and one of my all time favorites, but friendly to the used market buyer it was not.

+100000 on that!

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
What model numbers will work with others? I am kind of at a loss with this. I am used to edge bars, C 3s. Easy stuff.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
What model numbers will work with others? I am kind of at a loss with this. I am used to edge bars, C 3s. Easy stuff.

That is difficult to say. There isn't really a definitive guide to what is compatible with what as far as visions go. The basic rule of thumb is buy a full working package only, because piecing it together is trial and error as far as I am concerned. I know this isn't helpful... the list of things to isolate in my previous post is really as specific as I can get. Which boards did you replace? The ones in the bar or the ones in the controller?

The sad truth is visions are not worth repairing anymore. You'll spend several hundred in parts troubleshooting. Much love to the vision, but it's not going to be a reliable bar anymore.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
JohnMarcson said:
That is difficult to say. There isn't really a definitive guide to what is compatible with what as far as visions go. The basic rule of thumb is buy a full working package only, because piecing it together is trial and error as far as I am concerned. I know this isn't helpful... the list of things to isolate in my previous post is really as specific as I can get. Which boards did you replace? The ones in the bar or the ones in the controller?

The sad truth is visions are not worth repairing anymore. You'll spend several hundred in parts troubleshooting. Much love to the vision, but it's not going to be a reliable bar anymore.

Unfortunately I have to agree with John. And getting a complete system will be expensive due to the shipping.

I still think your issue is with lack of proper power. I had a similar issue.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.