Proper relay power fuse size

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hey guys, got a question on what size fuse to use for a relay power wire. My question is when you run the constant power wire to a relay what size fuse do you use? Do you base the fuse size off what the relay is going to be running? I have always been curious about this and when I have use them I am sure I go overboard with fuse sizes. Thanks.

Bikinjohn

Jul 22, 2010
USA Nevada
Normally you base it off the size of the wire, however you can use what you're powering as a secondary consideration. What are you powering, what guage wire are you using?

If you're running a light that draws 3a but you want to run 12ga wire, you could use a 5a fuse since the wire will never carry more than the 3a the light is drawing. You could also use a fuse that will allow for the maximum amps to flow, so you could use between a 9 and 40a for 12ga wire depending on what amp chart you check and the distance of the run. Here's an example of a chart from Crutchfield:

cablelength.gif

So a little more info like item being powered, distance from power source, planned wire guage would help get you a more clear answer. If you are using a 30a relay and you use the proper guage wire you could use up to a 30a fuse. I usually base it off the item being powered and make sure my wire size is more than enough.

dovy6

May 18, 2011
Brooklyn
If I'm not mistaken fuses are rated to blow at up to 135% of their value after one hour. Meaning a 10 amp fuse will run at 14 amps for 1 hour before it blows. All load wires should therefore be rated at 135% the amp rating of the fuse. Also, as per Ford: "Use 80% of the fuse rating to determine maximum steady state load to reduce nuisance fuse failures."

So if your load is 8 amps use a 10 amp fuse.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhaberny

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.