Properly Supplying 12v + to a Radio

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Recently I have seen several major upfitters powering Motorola APX 6500 radios from either a Blue Sea Systems fuse panel or the factory supplied upfitter's power point in the cargo area.
In reviewing the Motorola APX 6500 instillation manual, I see that it states to connect directly to the battery with a fuse.

My question is, does powering the radio (main power) at a power distribution point affect it's performance and/or void Motorola's warranty? What is common place for this, and what is everyone else doing?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
this discussion goes on forever when it comes to radio equipment on amateur radio forums...
"most" radios work the best when they have 13.8 volts. the reason why they say go directly to the battery is it filters out most of the "line noise" you'll get from other electronic equipment and the alternator...
if the point where the radio is connected to power has 13.8 volts then your ok, but you're getting the possible side effects of "dirty connections" and RFI that can come from not going directly to the battery...

it boils down to user prefference

Reactions: EVT

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
In reviewing the Motorola APX 6500 instillation manual, I see that it states to connect directly to the battery with a fuse.

Just about every piece of new equipment will say this in the manual, installers use fuse panels and distribution blocks not only for ease of maintenance but also because if you hooked every piece of equipment to the battery directly it would be a gargantuan nightmare of wiring right at the battery.

I have seen a few installs that had the radios powered from a separate fuse panel with a separate power supply to them than the rest of the equipment. I cannot remember if they routed those power cables in a different manner to avoid interference or not, however.

Reactions: EVT

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.