Q1B Help

fireman658

Jun 25, 2012
Missouri
A neighboring department found this on a shelf in some old storage. They wanted me to check it out see if I could get it working. I really never have worked on one so I'm asking for your help.

[Broken External Image]:http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/IMG_20140304_132649_zpsdqdnds76.jpg

It appears that the motor itself spins fairly free. However, the big wheel doesn't spend it all. I took the outer cover off of the front and then took the nose cone off and when I took the nose cone off this is what fell out of it.

[Broken External Image]:http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/IMG_20140304_132655_zpsdumwegu1.jpg

I'm guessing it ate the bearing in there somewhere. Any help on disassembly and fixing would be much appreciated.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
fireman658 said:
A neighboring department found this on a shelf in some old storage. They wanted me to check it out see if I could get it working. I really never have worked on one so I'm asking for your help.

[Broken External Image]:http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/IMG_20140304_132649_zpsdqdnds76.jpg

It appears that the motor itself spins fairly free. However, the big wheel doesn't spend it all. I took the outer cover off of the front and then took the nose cone off and when I took the nose cone off this is what fell out of it.

[Broken External Image]:http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/...e Uploads/IMG_20140304_132655_zpsdumwegu1.jpg

I'm guessing it ate the bearing in there somewhere. Any help on disassembly and fixing would be much appreciated.

I would say that carbon build up was inside the clutch ass'y, which I'm assuming from the picture is pretty well shot. Once-upon-a-time you could get replacement clutches-only from Federal; but now they want to sell the rotor and clutch in a package deal, which might be a lot more than you want to spend on an older siren like that. I would suggest contact Kevin O'Connell at B&M Sirens (B&M Siren Mfg, home of Super-Chief and Siro-Drift Sirens). He's an expert on rebuilding a siren that looks like it's seen its last "legs". I speak from experience! I bought a B&M S8 Siro-Drift off Ebay several years ago. Someone painted the thing red, and when it came in, the siren would spin but wouldn't coast. I sent it to Kevin. Not only did he remove the blasted red paint, once he did the internal work, he had it totally rechromed. He does excellent work, but I wouldn't get in any hurry in expecting it back quickly. And he does work for Federal, so I'm sure he could do wonders with that old Q1. From what I can see, it looks like that siren has been sitting somewhere for a very long time and exposed to water. Once you contact Kevin, you can shoot him an email photo of the siren and go from there. It's a Q, so it's well worth restoring.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I'd love to have a Q siren that looks like that. When people look at it I could tell them that it is an antique from a bygone era.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
NPS Ranger said:
You have just discovered the rare, mechanical siren version of magic smoke. Which you let out.

I was about to say the same thing. U forgot the fact it's blue smoke. Clearly this smoke was trapped and went sour.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
I'd love to have a Q siren that looks like that. When people look at it I could tell them that it is an antique from a bygone era.

I used to see quite a number of the Q1s out there years ago. I think Federal dropped them when they discontinued so many of their other sirens in 1978. I was just mentioning on another thread about an ambulance from the small town of Iraan (pronounced Ira-Ann), TX. It was a '57 Ford wagon that had a Q1B mounted into the front of the grille of the car, with just the "head" of the siren visible from the outside. Interesting way of doing it, I guess, and it worked! I used to see a few of the Q1s on some of the hearse/ambulance combos here and there, but the 28s dominated the combinations by far.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I've got a really nice restored Q1 sitting in my garage- I had John Dorgan re-do it a few years back. Your siren definitely needs some TLC but it looks like it would fix up nicely.

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
This appears to be an older Q, could have the early ball and ramp clutch or the later screw clutch. I might be able to help you, can you post a picture of the clutch assembly. The crude that you see in the picture could be clutch disc material.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:
This appears to be an older Q, could have the early ball and ramp clutch or the later screw clutch. I might be able to help you, can you post a picture of the clutch assembly. The crude that you see in the picture could be clutch disc material.

Is this something you could restore, Tim, or something that would have to go to Kevin or Joe, as I mention above.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Solvarex said:
Joe Dorgan is dead so I think that narrows your options.

Incorrect. John passed away, Joe is the son who has taken over.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
rwo978 said:
Incorrect. John passed away, Joe is the son who has taken over.
Oh!! Well that's welcome news, for some reason I thought the name wasn't flowing off the tongue the same way I'd remembered it... Thanks for the correction!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
fireman658 said:

What's the latest with the old Q1? Have been begun any restoration? We haven't heard from you in a while.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.