Question about Old Glass Dome? and couple of Pics from Car Show.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Just a couple of pic's I got at a weekend car show. I also found a old Red Glass dome that had a Lip on the bottom. Rounded top style like Federal used to use. Any Idea, sorry I didnt take a picture but the lip was about 1/4 of an inch thick. Like the Chrome Radar Unit out the drivers side rear window. Too bad the 66 Fd unit didnt have a period correct beacon on it.

Gas City 2012.jpg

Gas City 2013.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Hoser said:
Just a couple of pic's I got at a weekend car show. I also found a old Red Glass dome that had a Lip on the bottom. Rounded top style like Federal used to use. Any Idea, sorry I didnt take a picture but the lip was about 1/4 of an inch thick. Like the Chrome Radar Unit out the drivers side rear window. Too bad the 66 Fd unit didnt have a period correct beacon on it.

I like the pix, Randy. Sounds like the dome came off one of the larger Federal beacons....a 174 or 176, maybe. The glass domes have a bit thicker lip on them. I have a 174D on my '68 Olds ambulance, and it has a red glass dome, and the lip on it is pretty thick.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Skip that is what I thought but all the FS glass Ive seen has the circle and a K in it. Any how I didnt get a chance to talk to the fellow as it rained and he bailed at the show. He did tell me that he sold the light but didnt remember what brand it was....

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Federal was the first and most popular with the round top "gumball" dome used on their line of Beacon Rays. Badder-Brown made beacons in the 1990's that had a similarly shaped dome. Grote also made round top domes, but I think theirs might have been in the 1970's. I'm not an expert on the Badder-Brown or Grote products, so my dates could be in error.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.