Question about older powersupplies

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Hi there!

I wonder how often old powersupplies should be activated when they are unused for a long time ??

I have heard that they should be activated every now and then so that they don´t stop to work...

I have many lightbars with quite old powersupplies inside and is wondering if I can give them a longer lifetime by activating them every now and then...

So the question is how often should I activate them? Is once a year OK? And how often long they be turned on when activated?? One minute?

I guess many other collectors also would want to know about this!

Greetings.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Good question!!!

I have an old Whelen bulletin, I believe from 1981, on strobe light problems, and it states:

"WARNING"

"Strobe light power supplies are meant to be used, not remain in an inactive state. Use them at all times. this improves their proper functioning. Any strobe light power supply that has been out of service for a long period of time is subject to failure because the electrolytic condenser loses the polarity formation. A strobe light power supply not having been used for one year or longer is vulnerable to failure.

In this case it is recommended you disconnect all flash tubes and start operating the system on a voltage that is reduced 25% for 10 to 15 minutes before putting the power supply into normal service. This will prevent overheating of the condenser while they reform. If the power supply, after a long period of non use, is operated at full voltage immediately, there is an excellent possibility that the condenser will become overheated."

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
dmathieu said:
Good question!!!
I have an old Whelen bulletin, I believe from 1981, on strobe light problems, and it states:

"WARNING"

"Strobe light power supplies are meant to be used, not remain in an inactive state. Use them at all times. this improves their proper functioning. Any strobe light power supply that has been out of service for a long period of time is subject to failure because the electrolytic condenser loses the polarity formation. A strobe light power supply not having been used for one year or longer is vulnerable to failure.

In this case it is recommended you disconnect all flash tubes and start operating the system on a voltage that is reduced 25% for 10 to 15 minutes before putting the power supply into normal service. This will prevent overheating of the condenser while they reform. If the power supply, after a long period of non use, is operated at full voltage immediately, there is an excellent possibility that the condenser will become overheated."

Thanks for sharing this info from Whelen!

But I think that it would be a lot of work if you have to open the lightbar and "disconnect all flash tubes" and start operating on a voltage that is reduced 25%.....

Can´t you just start to "warm up" the lightbar like first connecting it to the car battery for about 10 seconds, then wait a little while, then connect again for about 30 seconds and then wait, then 1 one minute and so on until you have had it turned on for like 10 minutes??

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
cromwell said:
Thanks for sharing this info from Whelen!
But I think that it would be a lot of work if you have to open the lightbar and "disconnect all flash tubes" and start operating on a voltage that is reduced 25%.....

Can´t you just start to "warm up" the lightbar like first connecting it to the car battery for about 10 seconds, then wait a little while, then connect again for about 30 seconds and then wait, then 1 one minute and so on until you have had it turned on for like 10 minutes??
Work vs a blown power supply.

I wouldn't take the chance.

I'd do what they say.

Better than a junk lightbar IMO.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Your right about that some work is always better than a junk lightbar. The best way would be to follow the instructions from the manifacturer.

Until now, I have activated my strobelightbars twice a year and then I had them turned on for about 1 minute each bar.

For the last 8 years I have done like this and the powersupplies/strobelights seems to work just fine... I guess if I would have my Whelen model 8000 bar turned on for about 1 hour I don´t know what would happend...

Anyone got more suggestions or advices??

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.