Question about Smith & Wesson sirens

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Hi!

I wonder what siren sound output in watts these old Smith & Wesson sirens had?

Smith & Wesson Magnum IV A

Smith & Wesson Magnum IV B

Smith & Wesson Magnum III was 75watt, right?

Smith & Wesson model 800 was 100watt, right?

regards

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
cromwell said:
Hi!

I wonder what siren sound output in watts these old Smith & Wesson sirens had?

Smith & Wesson Magnum IV A

Smith & Wesson Magnum IV B

Smith & Wesson Magnum III was 75watt, right?

Smith & Wesson model 800 was 100watt, right?

regards

I may be wrong, which I often am, but I was thinking that the Mag III I had was a 58-watt siren. But you could effectly get 100-watts with twin 58-watt speakers or a single 100 watt speaker. Not sure about the Mag IVs, but they may have been upgraded to 100-watt. I know the 800 was 100 watts, I had one of them. I was looking at a Mag. III that was posted on the board last week, and it appears to have been built in S&W's New Jersey plant known as Sonic Signal Corp. I recently acquired a nice Sonic Siren which is 58-watts and very loud. I had one of their 100-watt models on an ambulance years ago and it moved traffic like you wouldn't believe. But having looked at the Mag on here, I just noticed how much it and the Sonic looked alike.

Wheels

May 23, 2010
El Paso, Texas

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Yes, that seems to help quite a lot!

If I understand right from the catalog then it must be something like this:

Magnum III = 58w (just like user Skip Goulet was thinking)

Smith & Wesson Magnum IV B = 75w

Smith & Wesson Magnum IV A = maybe also 75w?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I don't know about the power output, but I have two different versions of the Magnum IV and they don't sound anything like each other.

One is a Magnum IV (early version with the large pushbuttons) and the wail and yelp tones sound like the late 1960s Federal Director and Interceptor sirens (low-pitched slow rising tones).

The other is a Magnum IVB (later version with the smaller pushbuttons), and the yelp tone sounds like a General Electric Power-Call/Siren warble.

My guess is that both sirens will operate at 100 watts with two speakers.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
I don't know about the power output, but I have two different versions of the Magnum IV and they don't sound anything like each other.

One is a Magnum IV (early version with the large pushbuttons) and the wail and yelp tones sound like the late 1960s Federal Director and Interceptor sirens (low-pitched slow rising tones).

The other is a Magnum IVB (later version with the smaller pushbuttons), and the yelp tone sounds like a General Electric Power-Call/Siren warble.

My guess is that both sirens will operate at 100 watts with two speakers.

I would agree with you on the output with two speakers. I've used the III, but not the IV, and liked the old Mag III quite well. My last S/W siren was one of the 800s, and it had the most awful sound I've ever heard! The yelp and hi-lo were fine, but the wail sounded 'backwards'. We had it on a '70 lowtop Suburban ambulance that already had a Q and a PA200 on it; but the crew chief of that unit wanted to use the S/W because it also had the airhorn, which the PA200 didn't. Sounded neat with all 3 sirens going at once! Ouch!!! :yes:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
I've used the III, but not the IV, and liked the old Mag III quite well.

The early Magnum III with the large pushbuttons is the holy grail I'm looking for. I remember seeing a 1975 Superior/Pontiac 54" high top ambo with a Magnum III and an all red Federal Twin Sonic light bar running Code 3 back in 1978... I'll never forget the long windup on the wail tone and that slow 'wah wah wah' yelp.

A few years back I found a photo of the car sitting and rusting away in what looked to be a farmyard. One of the red covers from the Twin Sonic was missing, but the Magnum III was still in the car. If I had the money I would have bought both.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
The early Magnum III with the large pushbuttons is the holy grail I'm looking for. I remember seeing a 1975 Superior/Pontiac 54" high top ambo with a Magnum III and an all red Federal Twin Sonic light bar running Code 3 back in 1978... I'll never forget the long windup on the wail tone and that slow 'wah wah wah' yelp.

A few years back I found a photo of the car sitting and rusting away in what looked to be a farmyard. One of the red covers from the Twin Sonic was missing, but the Magnum III was still in the car. If I had the money I would have bought both.

We both like that long wail. That's why I got the Sonic Siren recently! I agree.....you should've bought the ambulance and the siren. You can always go back and see if they're still there. Hightop Pontiacs are hard to find. I almost snagged a nice '67 from a steel mill in MN a few years ago. Had the deal almost signed, but a local VFD decided they wanted it, so there went the deal.....dammit! :(

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Skip Goulet said:
I agree.....you should've bought the ambulance and the siren.

If I had the money to buy the ambo, it would have been restored to the way it looked when new, with the Magnum III fully operational. I would have loved to put that car in the city's annual exhibition parade and show everyone how great ambulances used to look and how good the sirens used to sound.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.