Question about Southern VP model 531

nick7542

May 24, 2010
Carlise PA ,USA
Hi Guys:  I picked up this

Southern VP model 531  4 bulb light up over the weekend  in North Carolina for 30.00 dollars.   My question is: The wiring setup does not look like a stock setup. Does anyone out there have one of these lights that could check what the correct setup would be, any pic's would be helpful.   p.s the black tape is wraped around a 3 way wire crimp that is riveted in the middle.    thanks Nick

0724141116(1).jpg

0724141118.jpg

0724141120.jpg

0724141121.jpg

0724141115a.jpg

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I have an identical NOS unit stashed-away in a box (for sale-if anyone's interested). I have a swap meet next weekend at which I'll be attending. When I bring it out, I'll look for you. Mine still has the factory mounting hardware and switch rolling around inside of it as well with a single wire exiting the bottom.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Skip Goulet

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
These are nice lights and were SVPs answer to the Dietz 211.   Back when SVP was still in Florida and you could actually buy direct from them, I bought one of these beacons to use on a '75ChevyType II ambulance.  It went up on the center rear of the high roof.

It was one of the nicest beacons we had used: but disaster struck!  One of my drivers lived in an office-campus housing facility for Texas Tech students (my old days in Lubbock).  The building had an attached parking garage and this guy had to make a quick run to his run before coming back to my place.  Without thinking he went into the parking garage: and wouldn't you know it?, he knocked that then-brand-new beacon right off the top of the ambulance.  The kid was almost in tears when he drove up in front of my house in the ambulance-sans-beacon.  I was peeved at his lack of sense, but it was no big deal.  Just happened to have a two-lamp SVP beacon that I had just traded for, and it went in the same spot.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
OK. I think i have this attachment thing figured-out. Let's see what this does... This one is the NOS unit I was referring to but the box is gone. The mounting parts and switch with the paper "small parts" pouch is still inside! I hope you can see the way the wiring is through the lens...101_1619.JPG101_1618.JPG101_1617.JPG

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
OK. I think i have this attachment thing figured-out. Let's see what this does... This one is the NOS unit I was referring to but the box is gone. The mounting parts and switch with the paper "small parts" pouch is still inside! I hope you can see the way the wiring is through the lens...
attachicon.gif
101_1619.JPG
attachicon.gif
101_1618.JPG
attachicon.gif
101_1617.JPG
Nice! This is just like the one I had  that I mentioned above. Note the Clearwater, FL tag.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.