Question for U.S. Customs and Border Patrol people.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
I have a quick question for you regarding border crossings. My production company is shooting a commercial and video series in Montreal this weekend. We will be traveling by car. We were hired for this shoot quickly and cannot cancel it, it's a huge opportunity for us and we're doing everything possible to make it happen. It turns out two of the guys on my crew only have drivers licenses and birth certificates, no valid passports. We spoke with Canadian immigration and they said we would have no problem getting into Canada but we may run into issues getting back. What issues we might face trying to enter the US without a passport? This shoot is a once in a lifetime opportunity so we're willing to get detained, etc.

**I realize this isn't the brightest idea but please, don't flame me.**

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Heh, I hope you have all the permits/filming authorizations/permission to work in Canada before you try entering... If not, there is a good chance Canada will not permit you to enter.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
unlisted said:
Heh, I hope you have all the permits/filming authorizations/permission to work in Canada before you try entering... If not, there is a good chance Canada will not permit you to enter.
Oh don't worry, we do. We spent what felt like HOURs creating our A.T.A. Carnet. F-that!

r1ms12

May 21, 2010
NCR
Not sure how soon you are looking to go, but some states (NY for instance) have an "enhanced driver license" or you may also be able to get a passport card faster than you can get a passport.

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
r1ms12 said:
Not sure how soon you are looking to go, but some states (NY for instance) have an "enhanced driver license" or you may also be able to get a passport card faster than you can get a passport.
We're leaving in 6 hours. :oops: Typically, I would try and find replacements if this was going to be a huge issue but these guys are my director of photography and camera operator and they're good, r e a l l y r e a l l y good.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'd recommend calling USCBP and asking...

Failing that, I have a friend in Buffalo, US born. She had some grief when she forgot her passport last year when visiting.. After some hassle, she was permitted back into the US. I THINK she got a fine for forgetting her proper ID... But than again, you gotta remember, if you are born and a citizen of the US, I believe you cannot be barred from entering your country... (again, I'm a canuk, so I may not be fully correct on that last part..) ;)

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Its better to call customs or check the website. Asking on a message board my get you the wrong answers. When it is in regards to legal issues its best to go to the source

dynastar666

May 20, 2010
Burlington, VT
We called, they said it was hit or miss on how we would be handled. They said it helps that they have an gov't issued I.D. and birth certificate. I'm not too worried but I thought I'd just see what you guys thought.

Respondcode3 said:
Its better to call customs or check the website. Asking on a message board my get you the wrong answers. When it is in regards to legal issues its best to go to the source
Done. There are quite a few Border Patrol and Customs people on this board I thought it would be an appropriate place to ask and thus the question was directed towards them.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
One of our Assistant chiefs is a CBP officer. He said just as long as you have your DL and your Birth Certificate you should be all set. Just keep in mind that you might get what they call Secondary. This means you will have to park your car and get your Identity checked out.

dfuzz78

May 22, 2010
USA, Western Washington
dynastar666 said:
Oh don't worry, we do. We spent what felt like HOURs creating our A.T.A. Carnet. F-that!

LOL. Chances are that if he was also presenting a Carnet with his ID, he'll be let in. But it is very hit and miss. A Carnet will get him secondaried anyway, then they would kill two birds with one stone.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.