Question On Resistors For Chevy Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
Hi guys I did a hideaway install on a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 for a friend and he did not want any holes drilled in the headlight so I took out one of the blinker lights. But now if I take the light bulb out the blinker flashes fast. so I need to know what size resistor I need to put in so it will flash at a normal speed. Also if you could tell me where to get them that would be great!

Thanks

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
TritonBoulder47 said:
Don't unplug the light from the socket...

That is how I have it now but it look funny having a bulb inside his engine compartment and I don't want it to touch something causing it to melt.

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
TritonBoulder47 said:
I would tell him to man up and drill the hole... But that's just me... lol

Tell you the truth I would not even want to be the one to do it. They are double walled and I have read that the inner wall is fiberglass which turns into a nice white power when you drill it. Much easer to just take a light bulb out since there is two anyways and it is a prefect 1" hole.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
fordtruck661 said:
Tell you the truth I would not even want to be the one to do it. They are double walled and I have read that the inner wall is fiberglass which turns into a nice white power when you drill it. Much easer to just take a light bulb out since there is two anyways and it is a prefect 1" hole.

Yes, I am familiar... And its not a bad as everyone makes it out to be... And as for your original inquiry, I have no clue... But you could also use some sort of bracket to "hang" the bulb where it wouldn't make contact with anything...

Parrcom

Jun 7, 2012
So cal
when some vehicles switch to hid and led technology they have the same fast flash or bulb out problem as you are experiencing by removing the bulb, there is some aluminum encased resistors that are like 5 watt suckers as the regular little ones usually fry real quick but do a google search for led turn signal solutions and give one of those a try.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
i have changed many vehicles over to all led turn signals/brake lights/etc. and the turn signals always blink faster because the leds draw less power and make the flasher think the bulb is burnt out. what i have always done is replace the flasher (usually under the dash) with one that is made for leds. the only disadvantage is that if one of your remaining bulbs goes out, you won't know because it doesn't blink faster regardless. here is where i usually get them:

Flashers & Load Resistors | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
fordtruck661 said:
Hi guys I did a hideaway install on a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 for a friend and he did not want any holes drilled in the headlight so I took out one of the blinker lights. But now if I take the light bulb out the blinker flashes fast. so I need to know what size resistor I need to put in so it will flash at a normal speed. Also if you could tell me where to get them that would be great!

Thanks

First off, if this light blinks, then it's not going to get that hot. The light is usually off and the intermittent pulsing will not generate that much heat. You are not going to melt anything with an incandescent bulb. Second, what do you think is going to happen to the resistor when you pass that much electricity through it? It gets hot too.

No one is going to see the bulb on the inside. Tuck it to the side and you'll be fine.

Tony

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Drilling a hole in the body is one thing. drilling a hole in a cheap and easy to replace light housing? DO IT.

Is this blinker also a running light on the NNBS trucks? I THINK the NNBS trucks turn signal flasher is built into the BCM or something. There are resistors you can get, they are gold looking and IIRC they are .5 watt. the resistors get very hot, too. FYI.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
To answer the original question, most signal lamps are 27 W. An equivalent resistor would be about 6 Ohm, but 8 Ohm is more commonly available and should be close enough. Get a resistor with a 50 W power rating.

Having said that, using an electronic flasher is the more elegant solution.

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There is a product out there that is used to simulate the draw of the flashing halogen bulb. You can search for "load resistor turn signal" in a variety of product search engines and get an idea of what's out there. I could have sworn that a major warning company made one, now I can't find it. Or calculate it and build it yourself

How to Calculate for Load Resistors.

That said; before you ever replace a factory turn signal with anything make sure that you are still within DOT, SAE and traffic code requirements. LEDs do not behave like halogen bulbs and they are not a direct one for one replacement. A factory turn signal was designed to be used with the bulbs it was designed with. Many LEDs don't fill a housing designed for a diffuse halogen bulb well. Some, like hide away LEDs are designed specifically to be used in a standard housing, and will light up a turn signal housing well, especially when placed where the halogen or incandescent bulb was. Then the only question is are you legally modifying the vehicle?

A good rule of thumb when messing with factory turn signals is; don't. Just avoid it.

It's a huge risk on multiple levels. I recommend sourcing a set of aftermarket or junked headlight/turn assemblies and drilling into those. Then you simply save the factory ones for when you sell it.

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
7d9_z28 said:
Drilling a hole in the body is one thing. drilling a hole in a cheap and easy to replace light housing? DO IT.

Is this blinker also a running light on the NNBS trucks? I THINK the NNBS trucks turn signal flasher is built into the BCM or something. There are resistors you can get, they are gold looking and IIRC they are .5 watt. the resistors get very hot, too. FYI.

First this is not my truck and the owner did not want any holes drilled in the head light. So drilling is not a option.

Second the light is also a running light that's why Im worried about it getting hot.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
fordtruck661 said:
First this is not my truck and the owner did not want any holes drilled in the head light. So drilling is not a option.

Second the light is also a running light that's why Im worried about it getting hot.

What are you doing exactly? Replacing stock incandescent turn signal bulbs with LEDs to act as turn signals? or... replacing turn signals with LED warning lights? If you are removing turn signals to install warning lights that's a problem. Vehicles should not have less turn signals and running lights than they were designed to have.

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
JohnMarcson said:
What are you doing exactly? Replacing stock incandescent turn signal bulbs with LEDs to act as turn signals? or... replacing turn signals with LED warning lights? If you are removing turn signals to install warning lights that's a problem. Vehicles should not have less turn signals and running lights than they were designed to have.

What was done was a strobe hideaway was put in place of one of the turn signal lights on the front of the truck. If you are not familiar with the 2012 1500 each side has two blinker bulbs on each side (as you can see in the picture). None of the other light were changed (so nothing is being changed to LED. The resistor is need to take the place of the bulb that is no longer being used)

mm_gal_item_c2_10_img_resize_img_stage__3.jpg

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I dont know if the state the vehicle is registered in has vehicle inspections, but if it does, and you take out that bulb, it may not pass inspection.

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
twodogs603 said:
I dont know if the state the vehicle is registered in has vehicle inspections, but if it does, and you take out that bulb, it may not pass inspection.

There are no vehicle inspection in CT

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
twodogs603 said:

If this is an emergency vehicle or responding POV you are putting your friend in huge liability should an accident happen, whether during a response or not. This is one huge reason to go to a "legitimate" upfitter to get your emergency lighting needs covered. And no - I am not an installer, just old enough, and unlucky enough to have gained personal experiance.

Leave modifications to any vehicle lighting to the experts with the proper SAE, and DOT knowledge, plus great liability insurance to CYA! You risk, at the minimum, getting your auto insurance claim denied. When you purchase an automobile it is equipped with the minimum to meet the law, any alteration or removal is asking an attorney to own you.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This topic has been locked because eLightbars will not condone, contribute too, provide information about and/or allow discussions to continue when the topic at hand involves making equipment unsafe or breaking the law. Removing factory turn signals to install warning lights is one such example. We must insist that stock head, running, turn, stop, tail etc lights not be removed or reduced to create warning lights.

No matter what the purpose of this vehicle, removing or reducing the number of factory turn lights is a civil liability at the least, a traffic/criminal liability at the worst.

OP, if you want info on how to do a different install that leaves the factory turn signals intact, go head and start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhaberny

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.