Question: Wall mounted displays

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Hello all.

My collection is small but is still taking over my floor space and presenting a tripping hazard so I'm looking at wall mounted options. What do you guys use to mount your lightbars on the walls? Need something semi-pleasing to the eye and obviously strong enough to stay on the wall...I'm pretty sure the heaviest thing I've got is the FS Vision.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
First, what are your walls made of and find the appropriate anchoring. Concrete, gypse panels, drywall/wood studs, etc...

Mine are old walls with Paris plaster over wooden studs spaced 12" apart, not 16" like we do nowadays. For that matter I bough a stud finder. Believe me, you want one. Your collection is worth more than that little thing to skip having it.

I then found my studs, marked the wall, screwed the rails level with each other so your "hanging" will be level. Drill/screw in the studs! I screwed each vertical rail with 2 1/2" screws in the studs. I have 4 bars and about 6 beacons hanging there so that must be around 200 lbs.

Browse the Vintage section and look for past threads about "My collection so far" and the like. Almost everybody use that method. Worked fine with me and wasn't very expensive. Home Depot should have what you need.

Here's a shot of mine:

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_Lightbars_20collection_DSCN0275.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Most of my collection rest on shelves held up with shelving brackets mounted through drywall and into the studs. My TwinSonic is mounted directly to shelving brackets mounted through drywall and into the studs. I think it's very important to mount the brackets to studs, unless you want to hear a loud crashing noise.

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
I mounted a lot of my bars in my cellar, against a concrete wall.

I cut 2x4's to length, painted them white, screwed them to the rafters, and put a pressure treated 2x4 along the bottom.

I used the shelving like Toon used, but I went with the stronger double track, as I wanted to have 8 - 10 bars on a rack.

I also removed most of the mounting feet from the bars, so that I could maximize space, and not accidentally scratch the tops of any lenses.

After you mount your first track, use a 3ft. carpenters level to go across to the next track. That way you don't have to do a lot of tedious measuring for each track.

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_Wall_20of_20Lights_1287090014.jpg

ai288.photobucket.com_albums_ll191_CFD125_Wall_20of_20Lights_1288236034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tony P

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
@ Eric,

I am in the right track by suggesting earthquake-proofing your display by hanging the shelving with ceiling mounted wires?

fiafighta2002

Dec 5, 2010
New Hampshire
I dont really collect lightbars so cant help there but for my Beacon Rays and other rotating beacons, I bought three lighted glass display cases from IKEA. Each case holds four lights(five if you put one on top) Lights look terrific in them.

CFD125

May 21, 2010
Carver, Mass.
fiafighta2002 said:
I dont really collect lightbars so cant help there but for my Beacon Rays and other rotating beacons, I bought three lighted glass display cases from IKEA. Each case holds four lights(five if you put one on top) Lights look terrific in them.

Those are what I keep my 300 H.O-scale engines in. Also over 100 n-scale.

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Alright, there seems to be a general consensus on the use of the rails and brackets. I was thinking something like that but was questioning the strength...although obviously it seems to be working for you guys so tha is what I'll do.

John, great idea mounting that vector. What do you use to keep it on? Just a bolt to prevent it from sliding off?

Thanks a lot for everyone's suggestions.

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Okay - I know this is a year later but it took me this long to buy what I needed. Ended up with the single-pin strips identical to toon80's pictured above - each 68'' long.

My question is, how many lightbars can I mount on this system without having to worry about it ripping out of the wall?

Ipuvaepe

Jun 25, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Depends on how well secured to the stud it is.

fedsig7

May 20, 2010
Santa Rosa, California
ERIC6913 said:
after you have your lights mounted, try earthquake proofing them! thats what i gotta deal with.

I haven't done that yet. I should probably consider it though, since we're overdue for an earthquake, and I have 10 light bars on my wall.. hah

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.