Questions about a Signalmaster...

I received two Signalmasters from a friend. Neither have any markings identifying the model.

First one is a halogen 8-light, but the end lights are in red and blue, leading me to believe this is a 6-light with flashing endcaps. When I wired it to a controller (SMC56 or 331112, depending on the age of your box), it functioned as a 6-light with flashing endcaps, so I think I was correct.

Second one is an LED Cuda narrow (modules in landscape) 6-module stick. This one has 3 sections in two different modules (2 in one module, 1 in another) non-functioning; otherwise it is in good condition. I also attached this one to the same controller, and it functions appropriately as well.

I say they functioned appropriately, but there is one problem, which is where my question comes in:

The arrow patterns are reversed!!! I thought maybe it was a wiring problem on the bar (I worked on the halogen first), so I tested the LED as well, and they both do it. The functions all work appropriately, except that the left arrow toggle makes the bar go right, and the right arrow function makes the bar go left. The indicator LEDs on the box show the proper pattern, but the bar is reversed. I thought maybe I had the bar sitting upside down, but the cable is coming out the driver's side, and the halogen has the sunshade, and it can only be "up" in one direction...the red flasher is also on the driver's side, which leads me to believe that I have them orientated correctly.

Since it is happening on both bars, it makes me think it is an issue with the controller. Is this something that is known, and is it something correctable? If not, can I just reverse the order of the wires in the harness to make it work right? I'm just starting to learn about these bars, so I'm not sure about everything yet.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions? I'm willing to just reverse the wiring if that will work, but my curious nature wants to know WHY it is doing this...

David

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
For the halogen signal master, if you look at it the aluminum housing sticks out farther on one side, that's the top so it acts as a sun shade for external mounting applications. If your arrow is still backwards, then yes, the solution would be to change the order of the wires so the pattern agrees with the controller.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
SeattleSAR said:
For the halogen signal master, if you look at it the aluminum housing sticks out farther on one side, that's the top so it acts as a sun shade for external mounting applications. If your arrow is still backwards, then yes, the solution would be to change the order of the wires so the pattern agrees with the controller.

What he said. The person who connected the wires originally, connected them backwards. Don't know why, because most people will check to make sure it's working properly, but if he had them apart and was throwing them together for the sale, he could have had the right order, but the connector was upside down when he secured them and didn't bother verifying.

Tony

Don't want to come across as rude or ungrateful for the help, so I wasn't going to say anything to the first response, but since you both missed it, I'll clarify: As noted in the original post, I DID check the positioning relative to the sunshade...That (among the other clues I mentioned) is why I am pretty sure that I have it oriented correctly.

Here's the big reason I think there is something else going on: The LED bar also has the patterns reversed. I had the LED bar apart to investigate the dark segments, and it is not that easy to wire or re-wire. I seriously doubt that BOTH of them are wired wrong. Which is what led me to post here in the first place...I was wondering if there was another issue, either with the controller or me being stupid, that could be the root of the problem...neither of which are beyond the realm of possibility LOL.

I haven't had the halogen bar apart yet, but based upon who I got them from, I doubt it has been re-wired. I suspect they came right out of decommissioned vehicles and sat on a shelf until I got them. Once again, swapping wires is easy...I really am just curious WHY they are doing what they are doing. I am even considering buying another controller to see if it does the same thing...unfortunately, that solution won't be completed for several days due to shipping, so I'm picking the brains of the experts.

Once again, I don't want to seem ungrateful for the help, but I have been doing lights for a long time, and this isn't my first rodeo. However, I don't have any hands-on experience installing or wiring Signalmasters. I DO have years of experience as an end user...so I know what they are SUPPOSED to do. I always try to do my due diligence in troubleshooting before I fall upon the mercy of the ELB Court...LOL

EDIT: Just had a random thought: If the halogen was mounted from a headliner, such as in an SUV or something, it MIGHT be wired backwards, and no one would have ever noticed it (if they hung it upside down). And the LED can be simply reversed, since it is the same on both sides. I will have to take the halogen bar apart when I get a moment and see how the wiring is set up. I will post an update when I do.

ERM said:
What he said. The person who connected the wires originally, connected them backwards. Don't know why, because most people will check to make sure it's working properly, but if he had them apart and was throwing them together for the sale, he could have had the right order, but the connector was upside down when he secured them and didn't bother verifying.

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
No offense taken. The LED on the controller is connected directly to the outputs. The LEDs light when the respective output is activated. One possibility is that these may have been mounted on the front of a vehicle, like a utility truck, or hung from the rear headliner. Then the wires would have to be reversed. So either the bar was in front or the person had the bar mounted upside down. If you're confident on the wiring, then simply reverse the order, leaving the common wire in its place.

Tony

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.