Questions about syncing entire truck - Whelen ULF44

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
I’ve been really busy lately and STILL haven’t gotten around to doing the install on my truck, but I’m hoping to get started in the next few weeks. I have a question about syncing my entire setup.

2006 Ford F150 FX4

Here’s the most likely list of lightheads (in addition to a full size lightbar) (I already have everything):

Grille: (2) Whelen M7s

Intersection: (2) Whelen 400s or something smaller Linz6s, Tir3s, Rect13s, etc. (Depends on whether I add a bumper replacement, grille guard, bull bar, or nothing)

Mirrors: (2) Intersectors (probably)

Rear of Toolboxes: (2) Whelen Linz6, or M2s M4s if I can find something used cheap soon

Reverse lights: (2) Feniex Cannons

Side of toolboxes: (2) Smaller lightheads tir3s, linz6s, etc. (Probably)

Fog lights: (2) Par-whatever lights (in the future, possible addition)

So that’s a total of around 12 lightheads, give or take 2 or 4, some smaller than others. I would really like to sync the entire setup, like I’ve seen on here on a few of the install pages.

So, a few questions:

1. I plan to run everything on the truck off of a Feniex 4200. I know that it has an inboard LED flasher, but I think that’s only rated at around 7 amps per side or so. I don’t think that would be enough to sync the entire setup. Would you trust running that many lights off of a 4200?

2. I was looking at the ever-popular Whelen ULF44. I think it says it’s rated somewhere around 60 amps per channel and has 4 channels. It says that you should only run one lighthead off of each channel, but I should be good at running all the lightheads off of one flasher, correct?

3. I currently have a fully loaded Legend I was gonna use, but I don’t like how it fits on the headache rack. If I chose to build a custom 2100 lightbar, I would probably at least need another ULF44 to power the lightbar. Can two ULF44s be synced to one another?

Just to give you an idea, here are two diagrams of possible sync. (It’s an extended cab truck btw, not standard cab) A would alternate with B.

#1 – If I find a lightbar that cannot be synced with the ULF44

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/jcolumbia15417/Truck/Slide1_zps88a8b3c4.jpg[/URL]

#2 – If I build my own 2100 and sync everything

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/jcolumbia15417/Truck/Slide2_zps47ed2d65.jpg[/URL]

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
The ULF44 is rated for 5 Amps per channel. At 12v that's about 60 watts.

You can sync multiple ULF44's but only the first few patterns and only of both are set for the same pattern. I have one set for action flash and another set for signal alert and they don't sync up. The mode 2 for both of them is set for single flash and they sync perfectly.

There are higher output flashers available if you aren't wanting two patterns or low power mode.

The cannons will not tolerate low power mode. My lin3's and tir3's work fine in this mode.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Thanks!

I don't need low power mode, but two different modes would be nice.

So basically, at 60 watts per channel, I should have no problem at all running the entire lightbar (about 14 modules) off of one flasher and all the other lightheads on the entire truck off of another flasher?

I would have both set to the same pattern in each mode. I would probably have everything set to a slower single flash type pattern for "position 1" on the slider, then everything set to a faster pattern for "position 2 and 3". Are there any faster patterns that will sync up on the ulf44?

sheazle said:
The ULF44 is rated for 5 Amps per channel. At 12v that's about 60 watts.

You can sync multiple ULF44's but only the first few patterns and only of both are set for the same pattern. I have one set for action flash and another set for signal alert and they don't sync up. The mode 2 for both of them is set for single flash and they sync perfectly.

There are higher output flashers available if you aren't wanting two patterns or low power mode.

The cannons will not tolerate low power mode. My lin3's and tir3's work fine in this mode.

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
Take a look at the installation manual on whelen's website for a list of flash patterns and which ones sync. There's a fairly good selection. There is also a YouTube video someone made which shows all of the patterns. I'd post a link but the cell service at work is crap.

I would say amperage wise you are probably fine, I put a Pegasus (8 4-led modules), 10 cannons, 4 LIN3's, 2 TIR3's, and 2 SNM E3's all on one at about 4.25-4.75 amps per channel.

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
sheazle said:
Take a look at the installation manual on whelen's website for a list of flash patterns and which ones sync. There's a fairly good selection. There is also a YouTube video someone made which shows all of the patterns. I'd post a link but the cell service at work is crap.

I would say amperage wise you are probably fine, I put a Pegasus (8 4-led modules), 10 cannons, 4 LIN3's, 2 TIR3's, and 2 SNM E3's all on one at about 4.25-4.75 amps per channel.

I think I know the video you're talking about with a white/amber lightbar. I'll look it up. Thanks for all your help!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.