questions regarding 07-10 tahoe

emtmike

May 24, 2010
brooklyn,ny
so im looking into led haw for my tahoe, for the rear taillights... which will fit, which wont? for the ones that fit which are the brightest??

its an ssv so i need a console as well, all the ones i have seen can only hold about 3 items, do they make a console for the 07-10 tahoe with cup holders, armrest and can hold more than 3 items? looking to hold minimum 2 mobiles a siren and switches

looking for a switch panel, not a switch box which company/companies are good/easy to work with?

thanks for the help in advance- mike

Any of the led haws currently available will fit the 07-11 tahoe tails. I personally have installed the nova 600's, whelen vertex, whelen LAWs, and ArkLaMissLights LEDHAWs in the tahoe tails since the 07 body style change without and issue. All of them are very bright and any of them would work for you. The ArkLaMissLights.com one are the least expensive, followed by the whelen vertex, them the nova 600's, then finally the most expensive (but also pretty much the brightest) are the whelen LAW kits.

If your tahoe is in fact the police package with the loom of control wires under the center dash, then your truck has a built in taillight flasher. To enable it's function, you will need to run a single wire from the drivers side under hood area by the firewall (there is a four pin police accessory plug located behind the fuse box and next to the brake booster and you can use one of the four wires to connect to) and extend it to the passenger side area directly below the passenger side headlamp. Remove the two 7mm bolts and two push on plastic rivets holding the wheel well liner behind the pass side headlamp and reach up and pull on the loomed up connector that is tied up there. There will be a six position plug with a red/white, black, blue/yellow, green/white, and green/black, and green/red striped wires in it. Cut the blue/yellow off the connector and tie it to the wire you ran over there.

Now inside the truck, there will be a bundle of wire under the dash that has white labels that say 6J1, 6J3, and 6J7. Look for the cable that has five wires going to a small gray plastic plug that has nothing plugged into the open end. It will have a green/red, light tan, light gray, blue, and light green wire. The last four wires I just mentioned were what go to the plug behind the fuse box in the engine bay, so figure out which color wire you hooked up to and tie into it. Now install a relay hooked up in the following manner:

87 - wire from the under dash connector mentioned above.

86 - 12v + switched output from your switch box to activate the taillight flasher.

85 - chassis ground

30 - chassis ground

Jotto desk makes the Lazy L console that has 18" of faceplate space which could hold approximate six items. Plus it comes with a long 28" long floor plate and tahoe specific seat bolt brackets, and you can get a cup holder and arm rest that will bolt to the plate, which will maximize the free space in your console for wiring and equipment mounting. Havis also makes a great console for the tahoe. I've installed both, but I personally like the jotto better.

Jotto and havis both have switch panels that include 3-6 heavy duty carling type rocker switches and even some have an extra cig outlet or more in the face plate.

Good luck!

One more thing, there is a heavy gauge ground wire that is tied up directly underneath the passenger side sill plate, and once freed is long enough to reach the new console by fishing it up behind the glovebox and down below the center dash with the other wires.

Also, you will have a cable under the dash that has a large 50 amp red/black, 30 amp light green that is controlled by a small gauge light blue trigger wire, a 30 amp dark green that is controlled by a small gauge dark blue trigger wire, a small gauge pink (start/run), small gauge yellow (acc/run), and a small gauge yellow/black wire. If you tie the light blue and or dark blue to the yellow or pink wires, then each of the corresponding outputs will be activated when the truck is running. Or if you want both 30 amp outputs to be on all the time, tie the trigger wires to the red/black.

emtmike said:
so im looking into led haw for my tahoe, for the rear taillights... which will fit, which wont? for the ones that fit which are the brightest??
its an ssv so i need a console as well, all the ones i have seen can only hold about 3 items, do they make a console for the 07-10 tahoe with cup holders, armrest and can hold more than 3 items? looking to hold minimum 2 mobiles a siren and switches

looking for a switch panel, not a switch box which company/companies are good/easy to work with?

thanks for the help in advance- mike

they all fit in the tahoes. if u can, i would go with the cencom gold (slim/flat controlhead thus easy to mount, 2-in-1 siren/controls, customizable, etc.); however, if you want carling switches, havis makes them.

i dont know what ur budget is, but i'd look into having a custom console made; our '10 tahoe has the console go right up into the dash and has the a/c switches (2) radios, cencom gold, (2) portable chargers, and (2) large storage areas; i love it.

I have 2 Axixtech TRI kits installed in my 07 Tahoe. The reverse lights are a little cramped but if you're creative you can get definitely mount LAWS in there no problem. You can see them in action near the end of the video.

tri_compare.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i have a smartsiren currently in my car, but im not really a fan of using it to control the lights, i was figuring to have a switch system with one master, then the rest for the lights and have one momentary if i would put an airhorn or something to that effect

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381