Questions regarding headlight strobes

Nov 26, 2012
NY
One of my next projects is to add some strobes to my headlights and tailights. I'm not too mechanically inclined, and have really no wiring experience.

How hard would it be for me to do? I know how to get access to all of the bulb housings on my car. How do the strobe lights fit in the housings? And how's the wiring situation for adding the power supply?

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
DancesWithWolves said:
One of my next projects is to add some strobes to my headlights and tailights. I'm not too mechanically inclined, and have really no wiring experience.

How hard would it be for me to do? I know how to get access to all of the bulb housings on my car. How do the strobe lights fit in the housings? And how's the wiring situation for adding the power supply?

Most people, including me, would steer you away from adding hide-a-way strobes in your headlights, as they'll be overpowered when your headlights are on. Rather, I recommend that if you're allowed, a headlight flasher would work much better - you wouldn't have to modify the headlight housing (which is designed for maximum reflection of the headlight bulbs), and it's a cheap (but VERY effective) tool for warning lamps.

If you decide that you want to add strobes to your headlights regardless, you'd have to drill holes for the tube to pass from the outside in. You'd also have to run wiring from a power and ground source to a switch, to the power supply. You'd then run a strobe cable, usually included with the strobe head, from the strobe head to the power supply. Be sure that you're using the right gauge of wires, as well as the right amount of power for the power supply (for example, a 440 power supply - 4 heads, 40 watts - will, in fact, power your strobes, but will not provide very much energy to the head, resulting in dim strobes.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
like doug stated if you dont really know what your doing. i wouldnt do it. but if you REALLY wanna do it its pretty simple. i only deal with whelen on my projects and usually friends projects but if you want to go with whelen i strongly suggest led hide-a-ways. there called whelen vertex. they come in all sorts of colors. only problem is there expensive. but to hook tthose up, all it is is a power wire, a ground, a pattern change wire, and a sync wire.

if you want to go with actual strobes, i know whelen and im pretty sure most of the other companies have connectors on the ends of their wires. you can get strobe cable from strobesnmore.com or something like that and all that is is just an extention cord basically. everything from whelen should have a 3 pin connector on it that just kind of plugs in. its easy once you do it once or twice. the only downside to strobes and other hide-a-ways is that you usually have to drill a 1" hole in the headlight.

i probably explained it in the most confusing way posible, but its fairly easy, just remember that all strobe powersupplies hold power for a couple minutes or so. so dont disconnect it from the battery and start taking it apart or touching wires togeether for a couple of minutes after.

hope it helped

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
Itd a fairly simple install, as stated most loght you will need to drill a 1 inch hole in the light housing. Then run the wiring, hook it up and your good to go. Personally im a fan of the HAW's in the running/signal lights. Simply due to the fact at night headlights cut down the warning power, but the runnong lights are obviously no where near as bright which gives you more strobe "power", so to say...

Ive seen some real good prices on complete strobe kits lately, although remember with LED's you do have to option to go with different colors and i believe vertex's come in split colors

Nov 7, 2011
New England
eng18ine said:
i only deal with whelen on my projects and usually friends projects but if you want to go with whelen i strongly suggest led hide-a-ways.

Why so closed-minded? There are other manufacturers then the W....

eng18ine said:
there called whelen vertex. they come in all sorts of colors. only problem is there expensive.

:haha: I guess the second problem that you did not mention is that they are not bright. I should know, I have 4 in my vehicle and they don't even compare to the code 3 Hideaways I also have 2 of on the car. Are the whelen ok? yes. If you're getting LED hideaways, are there options that are brighter and cost less? Yes.

eng18ine said:
if you want to go with actual strobes, i know whelen and im pretty sure most of the other companies have connectors on the ends of their wires.

This you are correct about. However, DO NOT go with a whelen strobe kit. Whelen makes some great products, their strobes are not one of them. Go with an SVP strobe kit. Time and time again I have been told and time and time again I have seen the SVP tubes far outlast the Whelen. The Power Supplies are fine, but the tubes are junk.

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
jcpse said:
Why so closed-minded? There are other manufacturers then the W....

:haha: I guess the second problem that you did not mention is that they are not bright. I should know, I have 4 in my vehicle and they don't even compare to the code 3 Hideaways I also have 2 of on the car. Are the whelen ok? yes. If you're getting LED hideaways, are there options that are brighter and cost less? Yes.

This you are correct about. However, DO NOT go with a whelen strobe kit. Whelen makes some great products, their strobes are not one of them. Go with an SVP strobe kit. Time and time again I have been told and time and time again I have seen the SVP tubes far outlast the Whelen. The Power Supplies are fine, but the tubes are junk.

elen

i only go with whelen because that is what i have access to. other than online stores, there is a mobile fleet not that far from my house and they only sell used whelen stuff. so i have only dealt with whelen. all my friends are in the same boat. i would love to deal with some other products. i just dont have the money or access to brand new stuff from other places. thats why i keep repeating whelen whelen whelen. thats the only stuff i know

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
fireman658 said:
Strobes should always go into your corner/turn signal/park lights. Intersection warning is their primary purpose in my opinion.

Hide away strobes make good secondary intersection warning. They do very well to supplement your primary intersection warning.

deputychief301

May 21, 2010
Snow Belt, Michigan
You have access to not only used but new strobes here, also some forgot to mention that it also depends on what

size power supply you use.Don't waste your time with anything less then 22 watts per bulb. If you need help

finding out how to figure out the wattage just pm me as I use strobes for hideaways instead of leds as are brighter

depending on the wattage of the power supply/

Also consider using a power supply that is sealed for out door use, this way you don't have to run long strobe

cable thru your firewall.

Jim Rogers

deputychief301

Nov 7, 2011
New England
eng18ine said:
elen
i only go with whelen because that is what i have access to. other than online stores, there is a mobile fleet not that far from my house and they only sell used whelen stuff. so i have only dealt with whelen. all my friends are in the same boat. i would love to deal with some other products. i just dont have the money or access to brand new stuff from other places. thats why i keep repeating whelen whelen whelen. thats the only stuff i know

you say you don;t have the money.. honestly man, whelen is some of the most expensive equipment. not saying its junk. but some of their products are better than others. get your hands on some other equip! :thumbsup:

eng18ine

Jul 27, 2012
stony point, new york
jcpse said:
you say you don;t have the money.. honestly man, whelen is some of the most expensive equipment. not saying its junk. but some of their products are better than others. get your hands on some other equip! :thumbsup:

thats why i buy used. all my stuff is used and in pretty bad shape. if there was a place that sold other products around here id sure as shit try others

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.