Quick Disconnect Liberty?

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
I'm looking to install a Liberty on my Explorer, but I need it to be easily removed. I'm fairly certain I can install a cannon plug style electrical quick disconnect in the roof of the truck, but I'm not sure how the actual mounting of the bar would work. How quickly can a bar with a gutter/strap kit be installed/removed? Are the gutter/strap kits vehicle specific? Does anyone have any recommendations for mounting and electrical quick disconnects? Thanks all!

medic6414

Oct 9, 2010
USA, MN
the way i did it on my 2007 tahoe was i took the mounting plates and cut them down so i could mount them to my roof rack, then i just run the liberty power and LC cable into the back hatch here i have a round milti pin connector like this Waytek carries Delphi's Harsh Environment Series (HES) Connector series, fully interchangeable with Duetsch HDP connectors and a ATV winch plug for the power and ground cable, takes me about 5 min to put on the truck. and its all in a little cubby in the back drivers side of the cargo area so it looks nice when not in use, and i dont even really notice the brackets on the roof rack since i panted them black.

here's another thread that shows what i mean with the mounting plates, scroll down to TritonBoulder47's post (this is where i got the idea for mine). http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/mounting-whelen-bar-07-10-tahoe-burb-rack-4174/

i would post pics but i dont have any on my laptop, and i wont be back in the states untill dec 4th but i could get you pics then.

good luck man!

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Just had another idea. What about somehow installing studs in the roof that the permanent mounting feet could drop onto, topped by a nut and washer? No one would ever notice the short studs poking out without the lightbar on top unless I pointed them out...

But how to mount and seal some short studs...?

medic6414

Oct 9, 2010
USA, MN
i know on my 99 expl, i had roof rails that where flat on the roof not raised like on my tahoe. and i used the sliding base plates from the 2 tie-downs on either side. i just unscrewes the tie-down part and used (i beleve) and 11mm bolt threw the mounting feet of the light bar, this held very well.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
I thought about mounting it to custom made sliders in the rack, but the rack doesn't go forward enough for my liking. The bar would sit over the rear doors as opposed to over the B pillar or slightly forward, as I'd like it to.

I'm also considering doing the opposite of my 'stud' idea. Drilling holes large enough for a threaded insert to be welded into the roof. Machine screws could be threaded through the mounting feet and into the inserts. Might be a little much in terms of fabrication though.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
medic6414 said:
the way i did it on my 2007 tahoe was i took the mounting plates and cut them down so i could mount them to my roof rack, then i just run the liberty power and LC cable into the back hatch here i have a round milti pin connector like this Waytek carries Delphi's Harsh Environment Series (HES) Connector series, fully interchangeable with Duetsch HDP connectors and a ATV winch plug for the power and ground cable, takes me about 5 min to put on the truck. and its all in a little cubby in the back drivers side of the cargo area so it looks nice when not in use, and i dont even really notice the brackets on the roof rack since i panted them black.

here's another thread that shows what i mean with the mounting plates, scroll down to TritonBoulder47's post (this is where i got the idea for mine). http://elightbars.org/forums/f13/mounting-whelen-bar-07-10-tahoe-burb-rack-4174/

i would post pics but i dont have any on my laptop, and i wont be back in the states untill dec 4th but i could get you pics then.

good luck man!

I was just about to comment on this and shot my mounting... LoL Thanks for the assist medic6414!!! LOL

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.