radio antenna

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
I'm moving my radio from my truck to my explorer. On my truck I had the lip antenna, on the explorer there is no place to mount it. I'm looking for an antenna I don't have to drill into my roof. What are my options, how do glass mounted antenna's work?

Thanks

Andrew

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
some glass mounts are ok, I prefer PCTEL with DUO BOND adhesive as it holds better.These are mostly unity gain.If you need some kind of gain you can try the Arc brand patch type that goes inside windshields they can get you up to 2.5-3 db gain.Is your radio over 50watts output? Not the best if using onglass type.

Scraping glue bond off a window is easier than plugging a hole if you sell vehicle later on.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
wkr518 said:
Scraping glue bond off a window is easier than plugging a hole if you sell vehicle later on.

Tell the potential buyer the NMO antenna mount in the roof is for a GPS unit you had installed. They might even want to use it with theirs.

Seriously, you might try an trunk lip mount, similar to what used to be used for a lot of CB radios.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Gary,

He stated above he has one of those mounts and it has no place to mount it.

Unless he wanted to mount it on the hood.

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
SlickTop Solutions said:
Give me a day to get picks and a model number for a lip mount that works on the rear hatch.

I have a customer that I used one on and they have loved it for over two years.

Thanks that was my next place. I called the local guys and the glass mount is $75, I don't want to pay that much when I already have the coax and antenna.

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Sorry it took so long to post these, I had to get with the customer...

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2540.jpg

UHF lip mount on the hood, and no, it does not touch the windshield when the hood is opened.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2542.jpg

VHF NMO lip mount on left side of lift gate.

ai125.photobucket.com_albums_p65_ka8ypy_Elightbars_DSC_2543.jpg

Same mount from back

Hope these help.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY

EL1998P71

May 23, 2010
Sterling Heights Mich
Detroit Police Dept on their Prisoner vans use the standard trunk lip mount on the rear doors (Chevy and ford vans).

Most have the mast bent upward, some do not. (eye poke possible on those) I don't know how well they work.

You can always check Tessco.com to at least find the part number to search on-line for.

kc9dzv

May 25, 2010
LaPorte County, IN USA
I used a window mount from larsen on VHF. It was a last resort. But imagine my surprise when I was getting into our repeater from about 80ish miles (as the crow flies). But I still much prefer NMO through the roof.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.