Radio Holster for Hiking

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
I need some advice on finding a suitable radio holster. I spend my summers working outdoors and do tons of hiking. I need to carry a radio around with me, due to the lack of cell service in the area. I just got a new backpack for use this summer, but there really isn't a suitable place to put my radio and keep it accessible. It does have some MOLLE webbing on it, so I was thinking of looking for a pouch or holster to keep it easily accessible on the outside of the pack. I've tried the chest harnesses, but am not a big fan of them at all. My main requirement is that it needs to be a covered pouch, not an open one. I had a little scare with my XTS2500 last year... I got caught in a thunderstorm, radio got wet and wouldn't power up for a few hours. I have an XTS5000 that I will be carrying around this year and really don't want it to get wet or damaged at all, so I would like to buy a nice holster now, rather than a new radio. If anyone has any suggestions of a holster or someplace I can buy one, please let me know..

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I use a Kenwood TK-390 (UHF) and have carried it in the rain on my belt out in the open without a problem. I know nothing about Motorola radio's by model numbers. Suspect what you had before was not mil spec'd for driving rain.

Can you put your radio in a pouch with the antenna sticking out and use a speaker mic? They also make waterproof pouches that you can put a radio into and still be able to use it. They use these sometimes on lakes, etc.. Firefighters on here might have some other ideas but I suspect there radios are mil spec'd for driven rain.

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
I understand that you want to keep the radio you have. If it just a matter of keeping it dry until the need for occasional use, I suggest an Otterbox or Pelican waterproof case. I use these for a great many uses, including spare ammo, communications equipment, and even keeping my wallet dry. I also use these as liners in my MOLLE cases. They are available in many sizes, and if your antenna is removable, you may find one to fit your radio.

Examples:

OtterBox 3250 Waterproof Case // OtterBox.com

Pelican Micro Case # 1040 - Clear with Black Liner from Pelican-Case.com

GSPD

May 21, 2010
NY
You might consider looking into a plastic water proof bag. You might be able to find something at a marine store such as West Marine. I had a radio bag or pouch that had a metal seal bar across the top and you could hear the audio through it just fine.

Only one example below, but I'm sure you'll find more.

Waterproof VHF Radio Case: Small Aquapac - AQP-224

dasuriano

Sep 14, 2010
Colorado
It actually would need to be on and accessible at all times while hiking. I work for a park, so while I am hiking, I need to be able to be reached via radio. I have tried out a chest harness, but didn't like it at all, so I don't really want to use one. I think I may have found what I am looking for, but I don't know if it will fit the radio. It is XTS 5k with the 4100mah extended life battery and belt clip (I can take it off, but usually just leave it on). It is VHF and will have a mic attached to it when used. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

BLACKHAWK!® S.T.R.I.K.E.® AN/PRC-112 Radio Pouch (Speed Clip Version)

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
I'd go with the Auqapac and stash the radio in an exterior pocket on your backpack, then get a wireless remote microphone from Free Linc - FreeLinc Site. I use their Freemic 200 every day at work with no problems.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.