For Sale RARE CODE 3 MX 7000 "Smart Sweeps" Takedown/Alley/Sweep All-In-One

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftedgmc

Jun 2, 2014
NoVA
I have had these for a while and just pulled them out of storage. These are super rare, I received them from a Code 3 rep a long time ago, they seem to be lightly used (most likely demo). Please look at the photos. $60.00 + Shipping awesome for anyone looking to add a unique piece to their MX7000.

Attachments

• photo 1-39.JPG
    photo 1-39.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 226
  • photo 2-37.JPG
    photo 2-37.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 198

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Why are these rare?

Very few people bought them for a variety of reasons. By design these lights made you pick between sweeps, takedowns or alleys being on at one time, as they serve as all three. They also used similar technology to the failure prone stingray lights, and were therefore prone to failure as well. These were an example of something that sounds great on paper but doesn't catch on. That's why there are relatively few of them out there, which is responsible for them being called "rare".

Reactions: kadetklapp

lenny77

Aug 12, 2014
n.y
That's why I love collecting lights. Just when you think you have it all figured out. Bang'o they hit ya with a curve ball..

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I don't want to call them useless, however most departments ordered the mx with takedowns, alleys and i-sect sweeps already in the bar as standard issue. So to have a mulit function light in that bar was redundant.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I don't want to call them useless, however most departments ordered the mx with takedowns, alleys and i-sect sweeps already in the bar as standard issue. So to have a mulit function light in that bar was redundant.

This is also a good point. It was an extra cost and unnecessary components to fail. Separate takedowns, alleys and sweeps worked fine and the MX had plenty of real estate for lower options. I wasn't trying to knock OP's listing, I just wanted to point out why they might be collectable or rare.

Firefly Berlin

Apr 25, 2012
Germany / Berlin
Actually I like these and have 4 or 5 sets installed in my MX bars.

One of them has 4 takedowns, 2 alleys and those smart Intersectors, so depending on your needs you've got 6 TDs or dual alleys, in my opinion they're far from useless. ;)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Actually I like these and have 4 or 5 sets installed in my MX bars.

One of them has 4 takedowns, 2 alleys and those smart Intersectors, so depending on your needs you've got 6 TDs or dual alleys, in my opinion they're far from useless. ;)

That is pretty cool. I never said I don't like them. I'd love to use them in an MX with the ever elusive MX version stingrays.

Reactions: SBFD-E-9

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
That is pretty cool. I never said I don't like them. I'd love to use them in an MX with the ever elusive MX version stingrays.
I have one in my collection that had 2 stingrays in it, however it is difficult to get at the control boxes(I have the old version of the bar). The control box failed, and I only have the old (original clear ones)version of the electronics, and they do not fit in the frame. So like the LP, just turned them into extra rotators.
I did not want to call the Multi function devices useless because like the tactical takedowns, they were a neat option, it was just unnecessary in the MX and having the LP with the stingrays on vehicles and have them fail, it was an added head ache.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have one in my collection that had 2 stingrays in it, however it is difficult to get at the control boxes(I have the old version of the bar). The control box failed, and I only have the old (original clear ones)version of the electronics, and they do not fit in the frame. So like the LP, just turned them into extra rotators.
I did not want to call the Multi function devices useless because like the tactical takedowns, they were a neat option, it was just unnecessary in the MX and having the LP with the stingrays on vehicles and have them fail, it was an added head ache.

So many cool gimmicks in lightbars over the years never caught on for similar reasons. I might have a black sting ray control box somewhere, I will look.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
My first MX had what I thought were 6 upper rotators (3 on either side of the speaker). I noticed when I removed the domes that there were 3 contact "rings" around each center rotator and was like Hmmm. Once I powered the wires up individually the centers would rotate fast, oscillate fast front or oscillate slow to the rear. Then I blew up the module.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
My first MX had what I thought were 6 upper rotators (3 on either side of the speaker). I noticed when I removed the domes that there were 3 contact "rings" around each center rotator and was like Hmmm. Once I powered the wires up individually the centers would rotate fast, oscillate fast front or oscillate slow to the rear. Then I blew up the module.
Usually, but not always, it was the output or motor driver transistors that would go bad. In the older modules you could open them up and replace the components, the newer ones are epoxy filed, so you do not have access to the electronics. Also the older ones had a replaceable fuse, which was sometime the problem.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
where the hell were you back then!!??? lmao

Ha ha :p
You could only do that to the Sting Ray I modules, which do not fit in the 1st generation(closed frame) of the MX(not sure of the open frame versions), So I am going to assume you had the Sting Ray II, which is epoxy enclosed and you cannot access the components. The reason I am assuming you had the older version is b/c you said it had the speaker section.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.