Rare MARS Flashing Light

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So does this light just blink, or does it do something else. It almost appears as if there is motor or something in there.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Phillyrube said:
Where do you find this stuff?????

He has a covert ops team of beacon gnomes go out in the dead of night and do reconnaissance for him. Has to for such finds like this :D :crazy:.

BTW, very neat Mars beacon, Dan. Must be almost as rare as a AB or Chicago bar in good shape, but not quite.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
CrownVic97 said:
He has a covert ops team of beacon gnomes go out in the dead of night and do reconnaissance for him. Has to for such finds like this :D :crazy:.

^^ :thumbsup: ^^

Doc Brown and his DeLorean must also be a part of this. The plot thickens...

Reactions: crescentstar69

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
Just grabbed this Model BC 77
Very similar to Whelen's CLEAR RAY FLASHER/

This is the only one that I've seen.

Size is 4 1/8" wide X 7" tall.

That's gotta be a rare one, Dan. I don't remember ever seeing one of these. But in came from their FLA location where they didn't stay very long. Had to have been from the '70s or there-abouts.

Also in your big display at the top of the page there's a blue and white station wagon model. What dept was that from? A P.D. carr, I assume.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Skip Goulet said:
That's gotta be a rare one, Dan. I don't remember ever seeing one of these. But in came from their FLA location where they didn't stay very long. Had to have been from the '70s or there-abouts.

Also in your big display at the top of the page there's a blue and white station wagon model. What dept was that from? A P.D. carr, I assume.

Skip, here's a link to that model.

http://elightbars.org/forums/f80/1960-rambler-cruiser-added-info-13467/

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
The dome even resembles that of the Mars Skybolt series.. the vertical slots/ridges. I wonder of the ridges on this dome would accommodate insertable color-filters.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
:eek: Awesome find!!!!! :thumbsup: :hail: WANT WANT WANT!!!!! :p

Please put me on the top of the "if you ever decide to part with it...." list.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Another company from Chicago built these and marketed them to J.C. Whitney & Co. for sale out of their famous catalogs from back in the day... I was able to score on this one still in the box. These guys made a fancy metallic cover to hide the flasher, wiring and guts. Same concept as Dan's Mars and the Whelen clear flasher.

100_4539.JPG100_4538.JPG100_4537.JPG

DoRay, another Chicago-based firm, added vertical fresnelling to the inside of the dome, enhancing the bulb's filament by adding something, but not much.

100_4541.JPG

Grote also added to the inside of theirs, too but there too, not much enhancement.

100_4540.JPG

It wasn't until the outside lens fresnelling, (more-often utilized in the marine industry) was added to the outside, did any of these old flashing beacons get noticed and even then... realistically, that's all that was needed.

100_4896.JPG100_4897.JPG

The latter-mentioned flashing beacons of the glass-lensed and double-fresnelled variety were actually in-place long BEFORE these later-modeled "clear" or transparent domed units which makes me wonder why these types were even introduced when obviously the long-range outputs were reduced... any thoughts, gentlemen? (other than the price savings) These units were being built at a time when automotive lighting was advancing and the SAE and DOT minimum specs were being conceived due to the higher roadway speeds and highway safety was being scrutinized from every angle... 

Thinking about it, taillights were the size of a silver-dollar, headlights put out as much light as a candle and a pie tin and road signs weren't reflective. A light like any of these was quite the beacon in it's day if you think about it and those using the roads respected any flashing light and it's visual message..not like the idiots on the roads nowadays!  

101_0805.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I thougt about that after I clicked "post"... they're pretty closely related...

Then there's always the "lollipop" thread that hasn't been created yet... I could definitely add to that!

Who wants to start THAT one? 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.