Re Broadcast set up NO siren

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Can anyone recommend a manufacturer who provides a speaker selection switch for radio broadcast? I am looking to split an UHF radio to either both and/or an incabin communication speaker and an external speaker (not attached to a siren)

Thanks in advance

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
What model of radio? Many offer a built-in PA rebroadcast feature. Spectra/Astro Spectra/XTL/APX does, many Kenwoods can be outfitted with an option board, etc.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I once used a relay, that when de-energised, switched the audio from the interior speaker to the external. Is that what you are trying to accomplish?

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Thanks for your responses

Its an Icom ( probably not common in America) with just one external speaker 3.5m socket

Is it just as simple as putting a 2 way switch between the incab communication speaker and the external speaker which is a Kenwood KES 5

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Abacus said:

Its an Icom ( probably not common in America) with just one external speaker 3.5m socket

Is it just as simple as putting a 2 way switch between the incab communication speaker and the external speaker which is a Kenwood KES 5

Yes, it's that simple.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Assuming the internal audio amp has enough drive, and is tolerable of the 11-ohm load of a PA speaker. What's the model number of the radio?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Abacus said:

You may need to put a couple of resistors (voltage divider) on the interior speaker unless you are will to manually adjust the volume each time you switch over.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The external socket can drive a 5 watt speaker at 4-8 Ohms. I am going to cut the wires into a switch and give it a go.

I dont need it to be super loud outside just better than leaving the windows down!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.