Re-wiring, need assistance

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
So I was starting to run wire in my Jeep the other day for a new set of Feniex T6s I'm installing in the rear side windows, and I realized i have some wire-clean-up to do.

Here's what I've got going (or I'm about to install) that I need to run wire back to:

-Pair of Feniex T6s (one driver side, one passenger side). These are run to a switch with some other lights in the front of the vehicle.

-Pair of Feniex Dual-color Cannons. One in each reverse light.

-Feniex Cobra 200 in the rear window.

-4x 4 watt LED "rock Lights" installed into the bumper. Basically scene-lights for off roading.

-Undecided yet brand of led work lights. These will mount where the spare tire normally goes.

Everything will have it's own power wire running back from a switched relay under my hood. Only thing being doubled up will be one of the modes on my Cannons will run at the same time as the Cobra 200.

So figuring some beer math:

Pair of T6s=4 amps

Pair of Cannons =4 amps

Cobra 200=4 amps???

LED Rock lights= 1 amp total??

So figuring a run of atleast 15 feet from the relays to the back of the Jeep, 14 ga wire for each light or pair of lights?

Last edited by a moderator:

fordtruck661

Jul 31, 2011
CT
If all the warning lights are going to the same switch I would not run a wire for each light. Its overkill for LED lights. Run one 14 AWG wire from switch to the back and then hook all your warning lights to that wire. Then run a wire for you spot lights.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
fordtruck661 said:
If all the warning lights are going to the same switch I would not run a wire for each light. Its overkill for LED lights. Run one 14 AWG wire from switch to the back and then hook all your warning lights to that wire. Then run a wire for you spot lights.

How would you go about splitting or merging the wires? I'm at a cross roads with a similar issue. I'm using 4 t6s and trying to figure out how to make the merger.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Butt crimp connectors and silconed heat shrink. Better yet solder and siliconed heat shrink. You could have an octopus of arms coming off. Always try to think ahead though. Are you ever going to put anymore lights in the rear? Would you maybe prefer seperate control later on down the road. I would put rear lighting on its own leg. Side lighting on another. Even of its all controlled by the same switch, you have options down the line without having to gut and start over. And you would have less draw, although 14g is plenty heavy enough for a few lightheads. Same for the "scene" lighting. Even if they all butt together at the front. At least you have options.

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
I was looking at separating the lights on different wires because of how I set up my switches.

When I'm done I'll have 4 switches for warning lights:

1. Rear warning. The rear Feniex 200 and reverse light mounted Cannons(mode 1, red).

2. Wig Wags.

3. Blue lights. Cannons in my fog lights(mode 1, blue), Apollo 2x dash light (mode 1, blue), rear side window T6s.

4. Amber lights. Cannons in my fog lights(mode 2, amber), Apollo 2x dash light (mode 2, amber), reverse light mounted Cannons(mode 2, amber)

The reverse lights and rear work lights are on separate switches also.

So based on that, I see 5 wires coming to the back of my Jeep. Rock lights, reverse lights, rear warning, amber warning and rear side warning lights. And I'd like to pull a 6th back for future expansion. I'd like to use a 6 conductor cable, to reduce the number of individual wires.

Make sense?

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
You can run one power wire to the rear and connect to a small fuse block (from Autozone for about $5) and run one mode and save yourself a ton of wire. If not a fuse block, you could just do a terminal block. That would give you flexibility to change the configuration down the road later and all you have to do is undo a couple of screws and move the ring/U terminals around.

Unless you're building a demo car that needs individual switching for different styles of lights, just run 1 wire per NEED.

1 - Front warning, 2 - Side Warning, 3 - Rear Warning, 4 - Rear work/scene, etc... No sense in wasting wire and making more work for yourself.

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
My bad. I failed to explain the need for running amber as Mode 2 of some of these lights.

I belong to a 4x4 SAR group that assist with stranded motorists during winter storms (we were REAL busy with this last one) as well as assists with flooding response and traditional SAR roles. Usually we end up working for the Sheriff's Department. When we do that, I can't use my fire department blue lights, but I can use ambers. Thus having amber as a secondary mode.

Also Matt, I'm a Siren World Affiliate. Gotta show off the products. :D

So back to my original question. If 18ga does the job for the Feniex products, I'll probably go 16ga/6 conductor cable. I do like the junction box idea. Terminate the cable at that and I have the freedom to change things out with out cutting wire all the time.

Micah

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Got this wired up yesterday. Turned out I had some 14ga/6 conductor in my garage.

Cable comes in and is clamped down. Ring terminals on the end of each wire. There is a nice cover that screws on this and is waterproof.

2014-01-20_15-51-26_677.jpg

Mounted on the roll cage for when the soft-top in installed.

2014-01-20_15-53-54_383.jpg

And on the inside of the hard-top. Mounted using the 3m hook-on-hook velcro. That shit is bomb-proof.

2014-01-20_15-19-15_767.jpg

The other end of this 14/6 cable goes into what's called an sPod. 4x4 SPOD Since 2005 - The ORIGINAL JEEP Over The Windshield Switch Console - Jeep Power Distribution System I use the spod to control all me emergency lights and half my off road lights.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Looks good. Never worked on a Jeep, but there isn't a spot under a seat or the dash for the box? Looks a bit odd out in either spot pictured.

emt.micah

Sep 6, 2012
Northwest Indiana
Ryan,

This box serves all the stuff in the very back end of the Jeep. I could put it under the back seat. But the way the seats fold down it would get crushed. I'm also one of those guys who is never satisfied with their rig and changes stuff all the time, so easy access is key.

Also, in this case the easiest way to get from my relays to the back of the Jeep is to run down from the engine compartment (where my sPod is installed), along the frame and up into the trunk by means of a rubber grommet already in place for the hard top wiring harness.

Micah

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.