Really, Whelen?

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
So I just got my new Whelen SMLLAA about 10 minutes ago. Plugged it into a power supply and noticed it...

20220404_124845_01_saved.jpg

Found two of the missing LEDs in the bottom of the bag. Only one leg out of four on both diodes has even a hint of solder on it. Needless to say I'm disappointed.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That's interesting. It looks almost like they were missing from the factory until you see them sitting in front of the light on the packaging. Whelen quality control is pretty good. Where did you buy it? There were some very convincing fakes being sold online at one point. If it is new Whelen from a dealer they will replace that no problem. Still odd.

ur20v

Feb 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
I just found the third LED in the outer packaging. Again, just one leg was barely soldered on. Seems to have found its way out of the Whelen bag via a tiny hole punched in the corner. I am going to ask around locally and see if anyone does SMD work. That hot air rework stuff is far beyond my skill level. I dont think returning it and waiting for either a warranty claim or a replacement is worth the time and money.

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
Whelen isn’t that great lately. Ive gotten quite a few things from them that aren’t quite right. We had a bunch of V3s that had the lights upside down in the housing. Wire pigtails from core with the wrong color wires. And lightbars that don’t have the modules plugged in, and I had one that the WCX wasn’t plugged in. Quality control has really gone downhill during the past couple years.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Covid hurt the companies making things in the USA, that's for sure. It is hard to get good raw materials and even harder to train and employ people. I'm not judging any industry to harshly at this point due to the supply chain issues. I have had ambulances on order for over a year and the base truck bodies haven't arrived at the plant yet. I have other vehicles waiting on radios from a very major company. I know Whelen is putting most of their resources into keeping their Police, Fire, EMS and DOT/Tow lines stocked with the items that are most used so no one has a fire or EMS build hung up on a Whelen lighthead. I can't say for sure that's the problem with some of their "budget" or smaller items, but I have noticed that lights aren't the hang up when having ambulances built. I have on the other hand like I mentioned had several builds hung up on two very major radio brands that sent items months late that still weren't right. The one item I sent back to Whelen was replaced immediately, I can't say the same for the radios that arrived damaged "new". I hope Whelen can recover considering there aren't any better alternatives to outfit entire ambulances (my primary use for lights). I also think Whelen should cut some of their less used items from their line and focus on the big picture, but I am no CEO or marketing expert.

Last edited:
Reactions: billm and ur20v

NCAP126

Jul 28, 2013
New York
So I used most of my last 9ULENKT1 over the weekend. Went to order more. Discontinued! Last I had checked back in 2021 $250. Now it’s all separate. $85 for an end cap or 17 3/4” stick. So that’s over $600 for a 55” inch. So my guess is the bean counters decide to try and knock out the refurbished market and get you to buy a Freedom IV. Right. I pretty much use only Whelen but I’ve seen the same things in the last few years also. I hope I’m not saying in a couple years oh ya I remember when Whelen was great. Products, service, warranty. I’ve been changing out the old lens on the hand me down PDs to the auxiliaries here for years. 15 years plus on some of these bars. Yes serial strobes on quit a few. There’s no way anyone is spending that kind of money for lenses on an old RMP serial strobe for volleys. Also he thinks the dividers are around $7 so that should push it over $700. So yes. Really Whelen?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.