Reducing Speaker Volume for Siren Testing

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
So I am not totally clear and have 2 different projects I am thinking of.

The first is to use a Motorola speaker with a Federal or Whelen siren on the display (so pretty quiet). The speaker is 3.2 ohm/30 watt. A volume adjuster would be nice to fine tune it but I wouldn't need to adjust after setting it. Without knowing the voltage put out by the siren I am not sure how to be sure I would have the correct resistors. Looking for a volume level equivalent to quiet television or office speakerphone.

The other possible (and lower priority) would bet to run an above siren with a 58 watt speaker quieted down for the display.

Thoughts or info?

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
For the voltage produced by the siren, 33 volts AC comes to mind.

The L-PAD design from @Henry455 would be ideal for your application.
I have read this thread several times, done some other research and still not comfortable. I dont want to play around with expensive stuff when I don't understand it all. I totally get low voltage/wattage/amperage for lights. I do not have a good understanding of the siren ac output and speaker properties (been reading up on it but not comfortable enough to test it out without recommendations from those in the know).

I know enough to know I don't comprehend enough to do this properly and safely!

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Review post #26 it can't be easier- install the resistor inline on one of the speaker leads and your work is done, you can use a simple radio speaker

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Review post #26 it can't be easier- install the resistor inline on one of the speaker leads and your work is done, you can use a simple radio speaker
I am looking for the reasoning and effects behind something, that does not explain any of it. I have a hard time believing that one resistor is compatable with every siren and every speaker. If so, why have others used different values with results that they are happy with? I have and continue to research it but not coming up with an answer I am comfortable with testing.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
@Jennifer Rose Towing
I don’t fully understand how it works either. But the L-Pad is designed for the audio world and designed for speakers and amps. So in my mind it works for me reducing my siren output for indoor use. I can’t find where I bought mine from. But I am sure it was relatively cheap. ($20-$40 I am guessing. I wouldn’t have paid more than that for my project)

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I am looking for the reasoning and effects behind something, that does not explain any of it. I have a hard time believing that one resistor is compatable with every siren and every speaker. If so, why have others used different values with results that they are happy with? I have and continue to research it but not coming up with an answer I am comfortable with testing.
It's straight from FedSig, for well over 10 years I've been using this method testing sirens indoors running for as long as 5-10 mins on a simple 2-way radio speaker. I'm not an electrician so I don't know the science but it's simple, reliable and safe.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
It's straight from FedSig, for well over 10 years I've been using this method testing sirens indoors running for as long as 5-10 mins on a simple 2-way radio speaker. I'm not an electrician so I don't know the science but it's simple, reliable and safe.
Do you have any bulletin or paperwork where they say that is ok? I would be fine with the specs/info from the manufacturer (or someone here who could give a basic explanation of it all).

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Have a look at the Federal Signal Unitrol Omega 90 manual at https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/8143 and you will see the following:

98JJLtH.jpg

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Have a look at the Federal Signal Unitrol Omega 90 manual at https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/8143 and you will see the following:

98JJLtH.jpg
Thank you. That should be fine then for a siren speaker, any idea about a smaller speaker? Says 4-100 ohm but the main speaker I want to use is a Motorola external 3.2 ohm for its size and portability. I figure only w couple of watts to the little speaker would be more then plenty. I'll try to reverse engineer the numbers for the Omega and see what else I can learn.

Attachments

• 20230109_012902.jpg
    20230109_012902.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Thank you. That should be fine then for a siren speaker, any idea about a smaller speaker? Says 4-100 ohm but the main speaker I want to use is a Motorola external 3.2 ohm for its size and portability. I figure only w couple of watts to the little speaker would be more then plenty. I'll try to reverse engineer the numbers for the Omega and see what else I can learn.
I keep telling you it will run a speaker as small/low watt as a 2-way radio speaker

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.