Relay Question

gallagher073

Jan 21, 2011
Western Connecticut
Here is what I want to do:

I added two utility lights to my back rack

I want to wire them so the new utility lights come on automatically with the factory reverse lights.

but

I ALSO want to trigger the utility lights manually with a switch without the factory backup lights coming on.

The truck is a 2005 GMC Sierra

I'm not sure how to wire this with a 5 pin relay.

Any suggestions?

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Pin 30 Unity pair

Pin 85 Ground

Pin 86 BU lights

Pin 87a Wire from your unity's only switch + good for 10 amps.

Pin 87 Fused + good for 10 amps.

Also a really good idea to place a 1004 diode across 85 and 86 with the line towards 86(+) to arrest field collapse to protect body computer.

The fused 10 amp wire can power your switch and the relay.

This is all provided your vehicle throws a hot to backup lights to switch them on. Most do.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Here is a better representation of what he is trying to say. Everything in the box outline are the internals of the relay.

Connect your lights to terminal 30 of the relay. Connect your appropriately rated switch to terminal 87A and AFTER your fuse. Connect your fused supply to terminal 87. Terminal 85 will be connected to ground and terminal 86 will be connected to your reverse lights.

The diode he is referencing is actually the 1N4004 diode, available at Radio Shack. If you're not sure how to connect the diode, you'll notice it is black with one end marked with a grey stripe. This is the side that connects to the 86 terminal and the other end to the 85 terminal. This diode will filter the current spikes generated by the magnet in the relay. Since your relay is connected to your reverse lights, you don't want the spikes back-feeding into your vehicle's electrical system.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Tony

relay.jpg

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
MtnMan said:
With apologies to ERM for horking your diagram, it can also be done with a regular 4-pin relay:

You can, but it's just easier using separate connectors, rather than joining the switch and light wire into one connector. If you ever have to take anything apart, you don't have to cut wires. Also, I was just giving a visual to Torpedo's text. Either way, both methods work.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Hey ERM, Thank you for cwarification on the diode number. Memory aint what I remember it once being. Good catch.

:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.