Remoting a Whelen rotary

Dudie

Jan 13, 2016
Riverdale, NY
Hi I have an older Whelen 295SL100. I don't have anywhere to put it so I'd like to remote the rotary. It looks like it's soldered onto the circuit board. My thinking is I can remove the rotary, solder extension wires to each solder point/lead and then mount the rotary somewhere else.

Will it work?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Yes, I did the same exact thing with a 295hfsa1, worked fine. I do agree that finding a remote siren to better suit your needs would be optimal.

Dudie

Jan 13, 2016
Riverdale, NY
Except that I don't want a remote panel. I JUST want the rotary remote so I can hide it in the car. Even if I got a new siren with a remote I'd still want to remote the rotary. What gauge wire did you use?

Dudie

Jan 13, 2016
Riverdale, NY
Except that I don't want a remote panel. I JUST want the rotary remote so I can hide it in the car. Even if I got a new siren with a remote I'd still want to rremote the rotary. What gauge wire did you use?

Dudie

Jan 13, 2016
Riverdale, NY
Except that I don't want a remote panel. I JUST want the rotary remote so I can hide it in the car. Even if I got a new siren with a remote I'd still want to rremote the rotary. What gauge wire did you use?

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I still had to remote mount the power switch for the siren, the volume knob, and the manual and air horn buttons. But for the knob I just used some small wire I had on hand, I want to say it was 16awg but could have been 18awg.

Dudie

Jan 13, 2016
Riverdale, NY
Perfect. I'm going to leave the power running full time, don't need to touch the volume and already have the HF remoted to a Feniex 4200 Mini (1 switch). Don't need both the HF AND manual operation.

Dudie

Jan 13, 2016
Riverdale, NY
That would be insanely awesome, but also doesn't work with newer cars since the HVAC rotary spins endlessly. Would be fun, but I'm happy installing the rotary wherever.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmoore77

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.