Rescue boat lighting

lwfpd chief

Aug 9, 2012
Grayville, il
We are in the process of getting a boat for river rescue. Need some ideas on lights. My thoughts are: warning lights: 2 TIR 3s on the bow, 2 TIR 3s on the stern, halogen or strobe light bar on a frame over the steering console, maybe something down the port and starboard side. Scene lighting: remote control spotlight on steering console, 2 led spot/ flood lights on the bow, led interior lighting.

We are looking at a 16' flat bottom Jon boat, open floor plan. Will have to figure out boxs etc. for storage.

Anybody rig up their own rescue boat. We ( hopefully) will only use this a couple of times a year. This has been in the past , been using our members personal boats so far. But we need a dedicated boat that everyone is familiar with.

Pics would be greatly appreciated.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
If this won't be used very often, go cheap with a simple mini lightbar or beacon on a pole and call it a day. Save the rest of the money for more essential equipment.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
tsquale said:
If this won't be used very often, go cheap with a simple mini lightbar or beacon on a pole and call it a day. Save the rest of the money for more essential equipment.

Yes and then put your money into decent search light capability. Much more practical than blinkies galore

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
A beacon strobe or edge strobe mini bar is more than enough the water ways are nothing like roads. Also sirens are overly strong so a 100 watt is super strong.

A good item for water is spot and flood lights. A pair of cree light bars with spot and flood will be nice and some smaller square ones on corners ect are good

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Don't forget the 2 most important lights on a boat red and green on the bow.

green for starboard (right) and red for port (left)sides.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
A mini Freedom bar is extremely expensive. A rescue boat doesn't need that much warning, it really just needs something for ID purposes. A Whelen responder minibar or an L31 beacon would be plenty. Spend the rest of the money on illumination.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hey, Just throwing my 2 cents in as a full time Canadian Coast Guard SAR guy. 1 single class 3 blue beacon is all you need. The lighting laws are different if the marine world. Flashing blue light doesn't have anything to do with SAR or responding. A flashing blue light is "A government vessel engaged in government operations". I was on a call once between Belle isle and Zug island in Detroit/Windsor area, and between the Detroit fire boat, the OPP boat with 2 star mini bars, the Windsor Police with their lightbar, the lasalle police, lasalle fire department and everyone else with their class 1 LED lightbars flashing everywhere, it's literally blinding. it is so counter productive for night time operations. It kills your night vision, and is super hard on the eyes after awhile, especially for any other units in the area.

On our cutters (47ft MLB), we have a single blue halogen slow rotator beacon, and on our Zodiac FRC (hurricane 753), we have a class 3 strobe that flashes a slow pattern (about 90fpm).

I love sweet setups on trucks and pov's, but on the water, it's all about the people that are counting on you to find them. Don't take away from your ability, and the ability of other units to do so.

Cheers!

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Here are some images below though! and I guess I'll give some lighting suggestions while I'm at it.

-Hopefully the boat has running lights already

-If there is potential to be towing, the proper lights to display are two all around steady burn white lights on the mast, one over the other as well as an amber steady burn light over the stern light (the amber should have the same 135 degree arc that the stern running light does)

-A vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver (transferring people from boat to boat, recovering a person in the water, or committed to anything that does not allow you to give right away to other vessels) is 3 steady burn all around lights. Red over White over Red.

- With regards to spotlights, mounted spotlights are a great concept when it's calm out, but aren't worth a bucket of piss when it's choppy because they move with the boat. You may want to have a few handheld spotlights readily available.

- The best tools that I've found for night searches if a budget allows are a good set of night vision goggles with a headgear mount, and a flir thermal imager.

Cutter

http://images.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/Images/MHGL000066239f.jpg

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-473-488-90/61/6138/BD5G100Z/posters/pete-ryan-a-canadian-coast-guard-search-and-rescue-zodiac-boat-in-action.jpg

may be a little tough to see but it's directly above the radar dome

Last edited by a moderator:

lwfpd chief

Aug 9, 2012
Grayville, il
Thanks for all the input. We have an older full size whelen edge. I. Am going to try and cut it down to the size of a mini edge. We have a couple of handheld spotlights already. Just need a good remote controll spotlights and some led spot/flood working lights. Still need some input on led interior lights.i

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
pdk9 said:
I'd go with a mini edge strobe bar and call it a day

The issue I have with this is the rapid strobe flashes at night would be very distracting. I think a Whelen L31 would really be the ideal light for this application because it uses next to no power, has a high and low power mode as well as a cruise light mode.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Class 3 LED or strobe is the way to go on a slow flash. During the day, you don't "clear" traffic on the water". flashing lights give you no extra privileges, and at night, you really really don't want a bright light. especially if yourselves or another agency is using night vision goggles. They are useless when everyone had their class 1 bars going, and it ruins everybody's night vision. Remember why you are out there with a flashing light on in the first place, don't reduce the overall ability to help somebody.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
If you want to get technical. in the USA the Code of Federal Regulations defines the light colors that can be used by boats on U.S. inland waters. Law enforcement only, is allowed blue. Firefighting, SAR, EMS etc are allowed alternately flashing red/amber:

33 CFR 88: ANNEX V

88.11 Law enforcement vessels

(a) Law enforcement vessels may display a flashing blue light when engaged in direct law enforcement or public safety activities. This light must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights.

( B) The blue light described in this section may be displayed by law enforcement vessels of the United States and the States and their political subdivisions.

88.12 Public Safety Activities

(a) Vessels engaged in government sanctioned public safety activities, and commercial vessels performing similar functions, may display an alternately flashing red and yellow light signal. This identification light signal must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights. The identification light signal may be used only as an identification signal and conveys no special privilege. Vessels using the identification light signal during public safety activities must abide by the Inland Navigation Rules, and must not presume that the light or the exigency gives them precedence or right of way.

( B) Public safety activities include but are not limited to patrolling marine parades, regattas, or special water celebrations; traffic control; salvage; firefighting; medical assistance; assisting disabled vessels; and search and rescue.

Whelen makes a special version of the L31 beacon with split amber/red LED's & clear dome for marine use, called L31HKF.

If it was me, I'd use a Whelen 800 strobe in red or blue, depending on the local custom.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
we don't.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
NPS Ranger said:
If you want to get technical. in the USA the Code of Federal Regulations defines the light colors that can be used by boats on U.S. inland waters. Law enforcement only, is allowed blue. Firefighting, SAR, EMS etc are allowed alternately flashing red/amber:

33 CFR 88: ANNEX V

88.11 Law enforcement vessels

(a) Law enforcement vessels may display a flashing blue light when engaged in direct law enforcement or public safety activities. This light must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights.

( B) The blue light described in this section may be displayed by law enforcement vessels of the United States and the States and their political subdivisions.

88.12 Public Safety Activities

(a) Vessels engaged in government sanctioned public safety activities, and commercial vessels performing similar functions, may display an alternately flashing red and yellow light signal. This identification light signal must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights. The identification light signal may be used only as an identification signal and conveys no special privilege. Vessels using the identification light signal during public safety activities must abide by the Inland Navigation Rules, and must not presume that the light or the exigency gives them precedence or right of way.

( B) Public safety activities include but are not limited to patrolling marine parades, regattas, or special water celebrations; traffic control; salvage; firefighting; medical assistance; assisting disabled vessels; and search and rescue.

Whelen makes a special version of the L31 beacon with split amber/red LED's & clear dome for marine use, called L31HKF.

If it was me, I'd use a Whelen 800 strobe in red or blue, depending on the local custom.

That 800d i posted comes in blue too. :D

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
get ONE or at most TWO of these, and youll be set...

like everyone said, youre not on the highway, you dont need a mini freedom.

-cruise mode is essential

L31Group.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.