Retrofitting a Code 3 Ocilaser into LED

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
I know this has been discussed before, but I'm looking for more specific details, so rather than necro an old thread I figured I'd just start a new one. Department has a 94ish Ford E-One fire engine that has a Code 3 Ocilaser mounted into the front bumper. It has died and been revived enough times that the chief has finally given me permission to replace it with an LED. What I'm wanting to do is using the existing housing and lens, remove the guts of the Ocilaser and replace it with a linear LED head. Only concerns are fit, and securing the replacement head inside the old structure. Since this is mounted into the bumper, it receives a lot of vibration from the engine and road, which is what has killed the old light. Whatever I do, it needs to be able to withstand the vibrations well.

What lightheads fit into the code 3 housing and will still allow me to use the existing lens? I don't really have a brand preference, but I'm going to have to order it from a lighting shop in Nashville that we have an account at, so it'll have to be something they carry; probably Whelen or FS.

IMG_20111028_105227.jpg

IMG_20111028_105254.jpg

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Lightbarnut said:
This may be a dumb question, but how is vibration killing it? Is the motor shot, wires broke in half, what? I'm just wondering.

The metal tab that creates the connection to the back of the bulb is loose/broken due to the plastic breaking that holds it in place. We've adjusted it several times and it's to the point now that it won't keep a connection. The vibration from this engine on the bumper is pretty decent.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
Code 3 makes a direct replacement for this light. I have replaced several for a local fire department and they got it from truckers lighthouse in nashville. It is an easy job to do.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
fleetcomm said:
Code 3 makes a direct replacement for this light. I have replaced several for a local fire department and they got it from truckers lighthouse in nashville. It is an easy job to do.

Truckers is where I have to purchase from, so I'll call them and see what their cost is for that. I looked around online and found prices ranging from 113 to 246 per unit on various contracts... I didn't give an exact price to the chief but I know he'd like to keep it as close to 100 as possible, since we just purchased a new (to us) engine, and the city cut our operating budget this year.

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Not to hijack, but does the C-3 LED replacement oscillate or does it just replace the housing with two led modules? Always wanted to know whether it moved or not.

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
Rusted413 said:
Not to hijack, but does the C-3 LED replacement oscillate or does it just replace the housing with two led modules? Always wanted to know whether it moved or not.

I hate them. They don't move, and just replace the guts with a couple half-assed TIR3s that fit the OsciLaser housing.

I always loved the OsciLaser, but I guess they really didn't work all that great in real life unless they were in a lightbar.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
theolog said:
I hate them. They don't move, and just replace the guts with a couple half-assed TIR3s that fit the OsciLaser housing.

I always loved the OsciLaser, but I guess they really didn't work all that great in real life unless they were in a lightbar.

I thought they moved as well, but now that I know they just sit in there and flash, I'm wondering why the hell I'd pay $243.51 to retrofit my existing oscilaser with two LED modules that don't move... I could fab the same thing for under 100 bucks. :weird:

theolog

Dec 27, 2010
North Carolina
WhiteLite03 said:
I thought they moved as well, but now that I know they just sit in there and flash, I'm wondering why the hell I'd pay $243.51 to retrofit my existing oscilaser with two LED modules that don't move... I could fab the same thing for under 100 bucks. :weird:

Ha...no doubt. My FD replaced Oscilasers with them on the vollie engine (1993 KME). They're not very bright and flash randomly. I could het some pics for the hell of it of you're interested.

WhiteLite03

Oct 7, 2010
Middle Tennessee
theolog said:
Ha...no doubt. My FD replaced Oscilasers with them on the vollie engine (1993 KME). They're not very bright and flash randomly. I could het some pics for the hell of it of you're interested.

Sure why the hell not. lol.

Now what I need are some members to suggest some LED heads that will fit and a way to mount them. :D

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.