RI and MA State Police Steady Burn Lightbars

Shamrock132

Jun 2, 2010
NH, USA
As someone who commutes to RI and drives through MA often, I have noticed on Rhode Islands new Caprices and the Mass. State Police new Explorers they seem to be experimenting with new flash patterns. On the RISP cars, when driving they have a normal flash pattern on the lightbar with red and white to the front and all red to the rear. They also have dual avengers in the rear deck synced in a wig wag pattern with HAW's in the rear lights. However when stopped on the highway the entire rear of the lightbar becomes steady burn red, and the front becomes steady burn white. Also the dual avengers change flash patterns from a synced wig wag to a pattern where both avengers flash, then the HAW's. I have to say, I was very impressed by the visibility of the cars at night. Even though its all red, its easy to distinguish that its an emergency vehicle stopped, and the steady burn makes it much less blinding when passing.

In Mass they seem to be doing something similar. Only caught a quick look at a new Explorer while driving through Logan airport, but they had a similar setup, where the entire lightbar was on steadyburn, with an occasional, I guess I would describe it as a flicker, every 5 seconds or so. Have to say, very impressed by both departments attitudes of less is more and using smart lighting instead of as many lights as possible. Mass was notorious for having Crown Vic's with 3 dual avengers in the back decks with various combinations of B, R, and A, all unsynced, then an unsynced pattern on the lightbar. I know they had a number of incidents of troopers getting struck, with some of the blame put on blinding lights.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA

Shamrock132

Jun 2, 2010
NH, USA
kitn1mcc said:
Ri is always going somthing Different. they even vary car to car as well

Yeah the Crown Vics are a mix. Some have red and blue to the rear, some are all red and some have red and blue all around. The new Caprices seem to be all the same though.

tom said:
It's a new thing both departments are doing with the cantrol system. I remember a member posted the setup a while back in a YouTube video. I believe it was emtanderson51.. :undecided:

EDIT: Found it! Classic Boston accent :yes:

Haha the flickah! Yeah exactly, very interesting stuff.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
The "Flickah" is done via Cantrol. Cantrol has some programming and firmware revisions to go through before it will become one of the most solid warning platforms in the industry. Right now, however, it has some headaches.....the pattern is highly evvective though....all at 60% power when in park so you can actually see the officer by the vehicle rather than guessing while you try to rub all of the spots out of your eyes.....

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
emtanderson51 said:
...all at 60% power when in park so you can actually see the officer by the vehicle rather than guessing while you try to rub all of the spots out of your eyes.....

That's a HUGE issue that I'm glad one of the manufacturers thought to address

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
emtanderson51 said:
The "Flickah" is done via Cantrol. Cantrol has some programming and firmware revisions to go through before it will become one of the most solid warning platforms in the industry. Right now, however, it has some headaches.....the pattern is highly evvective though....all at 60% power when in park so you can actually see the officer by the vehicle rather than guessing while you try to rub all of the spots out of your eyes.....

The "Steady Flash" pattern, or "Flickah" flash as some call it was a result of a tremendous amount ofengineering time and testing done between the Mass State Police and Whelen. It is completely out of the box thinking when it comes to safe lighting. It keeps drivers, especially impaired drivers, from staring at the bright dazzle of lights and then subconsciously driving into them. It has proven to be very safe and very effective. Headaches in the beginning, yes absolutely. Whelen and it's engineering staff took on a tremendous feat of developing software and firmware and making sure this was the safest most advanced warning system ever produced. The amount of data that is transerred in and out of the Cantrol box is astonishing. The updates are now complete and the "headaches" are over. The list of safety features built into the system is so long it would take me hours to type. Kudos to MSP and Whelen for puting up the expense of engineering this technology and working through the time, testing and headaches. Then, waiting in the wings are the other lighting manufactures without the same drive or vision that says... "ooh we can do that, we can do that now, too!"

Rhode Island State Police is one of several recently that has adopted this same lighting principal of 'what's safe at 2pm going through and intersection is not safe at 2am stopped on the side of the highway". My guess is that this is going to become the new industry standard.

Love that guys accent....."FLICKA" Mode. That system is very impressive. I think the video answered my question, but I will ask it anyway. Can the CANTROL system noted control various LED lights? It appeared that it could. Meaning that the LED dual avengers in the back window, Lightbar, LED's in the reverse lights, etc. All of those are wired into the main system? How many different LED lights can it handle? More than what is shown? Thanks....and I do like the FLICKA mode!

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Radarcop290 said:
Love that guys accent....."FLICKA" Mode. That system is very impressive. I think the video answered my question, but I will ask it anyway. Can the CANTROL system noted control various LED lights? It appeared that it could. Meaning that the LED dual avengers in the back window, Lightbar, LED's in the reverse lights, etc. All of those are wired into the main system? How many different LED lights can it handle? More than what is shown? Thanks....and I do like the FLICKA mode!

How many lights do you wish to control? I believe there are 67 outputs on the unit between low current, high current, TA and 2.5 amp LED outputs. If that is not enough, you can add up to 2 16 output expansion modules. Plus your WeCan lightbar. Everything can sync, if you choose. Or make that sync decision based on what the inputs are doing. You have 11 inputs that you can program to make your warning system do what you need it to. In park, at night only... make a slow sync pattern. Out of park, when siren is in peircer tone, flash a boat load of white to the front very fast, active and random to create a higher sense of urgency.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Outsider said:
The "Steady Flash" pattern, or "Flickah" flash as some call it was a result of a tremendous amount ofengineering time and testing done between the Mass State Police and Whelen. It is completely out of the box thinking when it comes to safe lighting. It keeps drivers, especially impaired drivers, from staring at the bright dazzle of lights and then subconsciously driving into them. It has proven to be very safe and very effective. Headaches in the beginning, yes absolutely. Whelen and it's engineering staff took on a tremendous feat of developing software and firmware and making sure this was the safest most advanced warning system ever produced. The amount of data that is transerred in and out of the Cantrol box is astonishing. The updates are now complete and the "headaches" are over. The list of safety features built into the system is so long it would take me hours to type. Kudos to MSP and Whelen for puting up the expense of engineering this technology and working through the time, testing and headaches. Then, waiting in the wings are the other lighting manufactures without the same drive or vision that says... "ooh we can do that, we can do that now, too!"

Rhode Island State Police is one of several recently that has adopted this same lighting principal of 'what's safe at 2pm going through and intersection is not safe at 2am stopped on the side of the highway". My guess is that this is going to become the new industry standard.

Yes and by "The updates are now complete and the "headaches" are over" he means the last 150 vehicles were switched over to Code3 equipment.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
The Cantrol is a work of art. The issues they have with them are ddefinitely expected considering the overwhelming and expansive list of things it can do. I feel it is a true engineering feat..

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
killCARB027 said:
My complaint with most of the current Mass. State Police vehicles is that they have too many Blue LED flashers in back. It would be more effective if they had Amber & Blue instead of Blue/Blue LED flashers on the rear window.

...?... MSP has had dual color lights on the rear deck for some time. Back when they had the halogen FedSig deck lights they were both Red Blue. When they went to Whelen Talons, the dual deck lights were Red Blue and Amber Blue. Even the short lived FedSig contract for the 'slicktops' were two Blue Blue, one Blue Red, and one Blue Amber ViperS2s.

The few marked 2013 PI Sedans that are on the road have two Blue, one Red, and one Amber IONs on the rear deck. The 2013 PI Utilities with light bars don't have anything in the rear window, and the 'slicktops' have a Dominator 8 Plus with six blue, one red, and one amber in the rear window.

They re-did this vehicle. The Talons on the rear deck are only activated while the vehicle is in motion. When it's in park the Talons shut off. They aren't sync'd like that either anymore they flash red/amber and blue/blue (like most MSP vehicles).

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
TACKLEBERRY said:
...?... MSP has had dual color lights on the rear deck for some time. Back when they had the halogen FedSig deck lights they were both Red Blue. When they went to Whelen Talons, the dual deck lights were Red Blue and Amber Blue. Even the short lived FedSig contract for the 'slicktops' were two Blue Blue, one Blue Red, and one Blue Amber ViperS2s.

The few marked 2013 PI Sedans that are on the road have two Blue, one Red, and one Amber IONs on the rear deck. The 2013 PI Utilities with light bars don't have anything in the rear window, and the 'slicktops' have a Dominator 8 Plus with six blue, one red, and one amber in the rear window.

They re-did this vehicle. The Talons on the rear deck are only activated while the vehicle is in motion. When it's in park the Talons shut off. They aren't sync'd like that either anymore they flash red/amber and blue/blue (like most MSP vehicles).

His original comment was that MSP runs with "too much blue", which I can't disagree with, and that you seem to have pointed out is very much the case (All blue, the the exception of 1 red and 1 amber).

Of course, this all stems from tradition, as MGL Ch90 Sec7E stipulates police vehicles are to have blue lights with the exception of a single rear facing red. And of course, to make things even, that single red is juxtaposed with a single rear facing amber.

Hence, the common Mass police lightbar setup of:

BBABBRBB

Funny thing is that a lot of depts wire their bars so the A/R lights are paired... so when a vehicle is on scene the officer can turn off all the lights except for these "rear flashers"... which means there are no blue lights activated at all.

*shrug*

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
To me, having a pair of modules as rear flashers is really the only proper way way to set up a lightbar on a police vehicle. Ideally, these should be amber/amber, but amber/red or amber/blue works.

IMO, having a Signal Master, or Traffic Advisor one the rear deck would probably be a better idea.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.