Road trip through Oregon and Northern California Yields Good Stuff

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I recently returned from a road trip to Northern California and picked up some great bars! They are all in working condition, some need more cleaning and TLC than others but overall I'm very pleased with my 6 days out. This is pic heavy.

I'm told that this was an L.A. County Sheriff bar, but there is nothing on the bar or frame to verify that. It does have the front steady red, and clear passenger takedown.

IMG_6048.JPG
IMG_6049.JPG

A Cal Spec Jetstream. It has an oscillating TCL in the center as well.
IMG_6045.JPG

Next up is a J-CAL Jetsonic

IMG_6042.JPG
IMG_6043.JPG

This is a frame only no domes, I'm assuming an Aerotwin of some sort. A 24 RV-1Z. Any info on what this might be would be appreciated. Maybe a wrecker bar?

IMG_6038.JPG
IMG_6039.JPG
IMG_6040.JPG
And finally an all blue CTS! Picked this up in Portland, Oregon. Seller stated it was a former Oregon State Police bar but I believe he is mistaken. Multnomah County Sheriff is the only Dept. that I'm aware used these. I did some research on vintage OSP vehicles and have found no CTS in use there. It runs great, just pretty dirty on the interior.
IMG_6037.JPG
IMG_6036.JPG

I've got lots to keep me busy right through the Spring. Its gonna be lot of fun working on these. Thanks for looking!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Damn I am jealous of all you guys that got those CTS bars... Messaged the guy shortly after he posted the ad online and never received a response. VERY nice haul! Thanks for the photos. I would love a video of the CTS when you have time.

Reactions: Scoot163 and Mndlm

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
I'm told that this was an L.A. County Sheriff bar, but there is nothing on the bar or frame to verify that. It does have the front steady red, and clear passenger takedown.

View attachment 163022
View attachment 163023

Looks like you scored a TJ Hooker style AeroDynic, man! Very cool.
[Broken External Image]:http://pics.imcdb.org/0is77/tj32038bo9.8136.jpg

This is a frame only no domes, I'm assuming an Aerotwin of some sort. A 24 RV-1Z. Any info on what this might be would be appreciated. Maybe a wrecker bar?

View attachment 163017
View attachment 163018
View attachment 163019

Definitely looks that way. There was a speaker bulkhead at one time, but now it's gone. I'm guessing it looked like this at one point, but who knows if this was on an emergency vehicle instead?

wrecker aero.jpg

Reactions: Scoot163
Jun 18, 2013
PA
The blue CTS is awesome.
Finding CA bars in CA is probably not real difficult..
Try finding CA bars in PA..
I have located 1 J-CAL locally.

As for other the only 1 county using the blue CTS bars. Who knows.. the guy might be right.. its called hand me downs.
Back in the late 90's when I was still actively running we were told to inspect 2 pallets worth of lights that were "dontated" to us. Many of the lights on these pallets were LAPD Aerodynics. If I had known then what I know now.. I would have a pile of LAPD aero's.

Reactions: jph2 and Scoot163

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
The blue CTS is awesome.
Finding CA bars in CA is probably not real difficult..
Try finding CA bars in PA..

I have located 1 J-CAL locally.

As for other the only 1 county using the blue CTS bars. Who knows.. the guy might be right.. its called hand me downs.
Back in the late 90's when I was still actively running we were told to inspect 2 pallets worth of lights that were "dontated" to us. Many of the lights on these pallets were LAPD Aerodynics. If I had known then what I know now.. I would have a pile of LAPD aero's.
Finding lightbars here in California actually is difficult. Here in Southern California most departments destroy the light bars for security reasons

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Interesting detail on the wrecker bar with plastic beam holder for the rotating lights.

I was about to say the same. Looks like the now gone model 100 with plastic sealed beams holder, maybe?

Very good haul there.

TJ Hooker AeroDynic, custom-ordered Aero we haven't seen before, Multnomah CTS, Cal-Jet.... Wow! :)

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Finding lightbars here in California actually is difficult. Here in Southern California most departments destroy the light bars for security reasons

I agree with Eric completely. Finding ANY kind of bar on the West coast can be difficult. It's why we all look like a one eyed dog in a meat market when something comes up out here. When I travel east and look at Craigslist etc I'm amazed at how much stuff is available out there!

Very Nice Score Rich! I'm jealous! Did you tell Ryan and Dave hello for me:D
Most certainly! Actually if I had known you were gonna grab some of those, I might have transported them to Southern Cal for you gratis. I will tentatively be heading back that way in early March.

Takedown light

Eric, I'm sure you saw some of these in-service back in the day. Was the clear takedown wired with an override to flash during Code 3, or did it just burn steady, or was it turned off unless used as a takedown?

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Eric, I'm sure you saw some of these in-service back in the day. Was the clear takedown wired with an override to flash during Code 3, or did it just burn steady, or was it turned off unless used as a takedown?

In CA anyway, the clear take down was wired to it's own switch. The only agency that I know of (for halogen bars) that had the take down wired to the slide switch was the LAPD bars with the center take down wired to alt flash in position 3.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I'll go out on a limb and assume that since the vehicle code only specified the steady burn red and flashing amber on the driver side, they could still get use of a takedown on traffic stops by positioning the cruiser to offset the suspect vehicle and angle it for engine block cover.

Reactions: denko3

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I'll go out on a limb and assume that since the vehicle code only specified the steady burn red and flashing amber on the driver side, they could still get use of a takedown on traffic stops by positioning the cruiser to offset the suspect vehicle and angle it for engine block cover.

That is correct. Remember back in the day CHP only ever used one steady red lamp to the front as well.

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I know these aren't THE V mirrors in the old NYPD Aeros, but I'm thinking it might be possible to build an NYPD clone bar out of this one. Maybe getting different drive chains and rearranging the bar setup. Any thoughts on this?
IMG_6040.JPG

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Looks like you scored a TJ Hooker style AeroDynic, man! Very cool.
[Broken External Image]:http://pics.imcdb.org/0is77/tj32038bo9.8136.jpg

I would have rather scored Heather, but that's another story. I checked with some LAPD retired and they didn't use the MEH, but they confirmed LASO did and supplied this pic of a 1983 Malibu.

16427725_10207827371112521_7575935610335987748_n.jpg

Definitely looks that way. There was a speaker bulkhead at one time, but now it's gone. I'm guessing it looked like this at one point, but who knows if this was on an emergency vehicle instead?

View attachment 163025

Reactions: CrownVic97

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I know these aren't THE V mirrors in the old NYPD Aeros, but I'm thinking it might be possible to build an NYPD clone bar out of this one. Maybe getting different drive chains and rearranging the bar setup. Any thoughts on this?
View attachment 163062

You could improve on the NYPD setup- using the work light positions as front takedowns, go with front domes outboard->inboard r/c/r/c, back domes ouboardt->inboard a/r/c/r, alternate the rear endlamps and either alternate, simul or steady burn the front endlamps and your choice to split the rotators r/c, c/c or r/r.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
View attachment 163062
Correct those mirrors are from the Twin Sonic series. I think that aerodynic was Franken project that never got completed. If you look closely at the Rotator bases you can see that it is from an older generation and those plastic par holders are from a newer model 14 Beacon

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Correct those mirrors are from the Twin Sonic series. I think that aerodynic was Franken project that never got completed. If you look closely at the Rotator bases you can see that it is from an older generation and those plastic par holders are from a newer model 14 Beacon

It better hold on. Because in the future it will be going back to the laboratory to be refrankened!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.