Roof seals

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
So I have a question. When you guys put full sized bars on crusiers and such and you drill a hole in the roof to run the cable down. What do you use to seal the hole? The guy that put 2 of the lightbars on 2 of our suburbans did it this way, but I think its to much monkey business. Theres a junction box that threads onto this cable gland then the junction box face plate gets screwed to the roof of the vehical. Normally on trucks I run the cable down the back of the cab and up thru the floor or add onto the cable and then go thru the fire wall.

cable-glands-plastic.jpg

May 24, 2010
PG County, MD
Drill a 3/4" or 1" hole in the roof for the cable to pass.

Debur the hole, insert a rubber grommet that has a tiny bead of sealant in the groove.

Pass the cable through the grommet and seal the cable to the grommet on both the outside and inside.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Rubber grommet with clear silicone (or white or black if the car is either color). Also, I seal from both the outside AND the inside. ;-)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
This type?

roofseal.jpg

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
There's really no substitute. These are water tight cable grommets that are use for single cables. The nut on the top contains a rubber washer that when tightened, it constricts the cable.

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y120_EVCONCEPTS_Installs_106_0049.jpg

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
JohnMarcson said:
This type?

ROOF! SEAL! GET IT! It's a joke son!

Foghorn-Leghorn.jpg

Nice boy, but about as sharp as a sack of wet mice.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
EVModules said:
There's really no substitute. These are water tight cable grommets that are use for single cables. The nut on the top contains a rubber washer that when tightened, it constricts the cable.

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y120_EVCONCEPTS_Installs_106_0049.jpg

How did you keep water from getting in around where u drilled a hole? Just siliconed it? Also did you put a nut on the underside so to speak of the roof to tighten it down?

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
RBRONKEMA GHTFD,

What you saw in the picture of the two was only partial. The curvature of the roof obscured the lower part. I did use the nut. For years, I have been using this setup shown below but with one exception, I don't use the rubber washer anymore because it had a tendency to expand when it is tightened on the roof.

aim1_shutterfly_com_media_47a1db07b3127ccefd610da186ed000000301c47cbef172a3ae0aca7c6c8986966d0.jpg

The image shows the rough idea as if it was assembled on the roof without the rubber washer. I use 3M strip-calk which is like plumber's putty. I apply a small bead on the fitting where it meets the roof. Most of the time, I pre-cut the threads at the bottom, to keep headliner bulge to a minimum.

aim1_shutterfly_com_media_47a1db07b3127ccefd618ee2c6770000003078c9c93ab1c01f82074a6609a36fdf88.jpg

You can buy these from Mouser but keep in mind that there are several sizes. It's important to get the correct size. It will show minimum & maximum diameter sizes. Always keep the size range of the cable towards the maximum rating.

When installing lightbars with multiple cables exiting one hole, I forgo these and use white or gray threaded adapters for plumbing / electrical that has a flat shoulder (the part that meets the roof). I don't have images but I should try to get some & take pictures for a tutorial since it's difficult to explain.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
RBRONKEMA GHTFD said:
Now if only there wasn't a oreilys a hour away

How about this one:

609 28th Street Sw

Wyoming, MI

(616) 249-0434

which should be about 25 miles from Holland, MI?

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
shues said:
How about this one:

609 28th Street Sw

Wyoming, MI

(616) 249-0434

which should be about 25 miles from Holland, MI?

still to far for me to drive for just 1 item. I mean I could order it and have it shipped i'm sure from amazon. I have a autozone and car quest and advanced about 5 minutes from me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhaberny

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.