Running a Whelen Amp off of a SS?

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Been awhile since I posted here (caught up on getting my gun license)

Right now I have my Unitrol Omega 90 amps running off of my Smart Siren and it works great.

Is it possible to swap my Omega 90 out with a Whelen Amp? The one thing I like about Whelen is their Air Horn - so much that I'll buy an amp so I can just use that feature (and I guess the other ones)

r1ms12

May 21, 2010
NCR
I don't see why you couldn't do that. Assume the SS will still be the source for your primary siren (dedicated 100/200W speaker).

You could then program a SS key to have a momentary output which then links to a Whelen amp's hornring circuitry (or plain AH input).

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
I have all the switches programmed, I just need to find the correct cables to put in the Aux inputs on the SS.

The Omega 90 has a custom harness that goes into the SS, but I wouldn't know where to get one for a whelen amp

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Your best bet would probably be to use a Whelen siren that is designed for remote mounting.

For example: the WPA112 is a 100-watt waterproof siren amplifier, designed for motorcycle use. Here's a copy of the wiring diagram from the installation manual:

[Broken External Image]:http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3839/wpa112.png

Another option is the Alpha 12R. The Alpha 12R has several dip-switch configurable options, like the manual mode, the T3 tone, the override tones, and the override duration. Here's a copy of the wiring diagram from the installation manual:

[Broken External Image]:http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8026/alpha12r.png

Either of these Whelen remote sirens, and surely several others, would wire up in a way similar to your Omega 90. Just provide +12v DC to one or two wires for each of the various tones, and you're on your way.

However, not all Whelen remote sirens are alike. For instance, the 295HFS4 uses a 3-wire communication cable between the amplifier and the control head. Attempting to use the 295HFS4 without its control head would prove to be an exercise in futility.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
What about a bl627?

I had one of those at one point so I know it also uses a communication cable

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
gman021 said:
What about a bl627?

I had one of those at one point so I know it also uses a communication cable

The BL627 requires an MPC01 in order to do anything. Any siren that uses a communication cable will not work for this application.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.